• This topic has 10 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by hels.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Pensions from old employers I have moved several times how do……….
  • postierich
    Free Member

Have paid into an Army pension and a pension with an engineering company how will I get paid when I,m due to retire can I just ask for my pension contributions back 5 years army 8yrs with the other firm.
    I am in the Royal Mail Pension fund 15 years which is quite good.
    How do they know where I live never had a pension update just curious!

woody2000

Your NI number will help them track you down most likely.

postierich
    Free Member

Can you just take back your pension contributions that you have paid into a private policy?

woody2000

I doubt it, but I am not a FA 🙂

codybrennan
    Free Member

You can’t take them back but can (often?) transfer them.

project
    Free Member
    postierich
    Free Member

Cheers Project

br
    Free Member

you’ll probably want to leave them where they are, just with your contact details

gonefishin
    Free Member

Not sure about the army one but assuming the engineering company still exists, just call them up and ask for the contact details of the pension trustees.

Can you just take back your pension contributions that you have paid into a private policy?

Almost certainly but as said above you should be able to transfer them to another fund if you want. Assuming they’re not a final salary one then you’d likely be daft to transfer them.

jambalaya
    Free Member

They only know where you live if you tell them.

The options will vary by company policy and its very likely some will be externally managed. First job is to contact each company provider and ask. As above you can consolidate into one scheme but you should check carefully / get some advice as some schemes are best left alone as changes to the law may mean they provide benefits which cannot be matched today.

FWIW I think your Army pension you should leave (its a government one, you cannot buy that in the open market, relatively generous I imagine vs length of service) and the other firm its worth checking the details but perhaps you just leave that. Having 3 pension schemes isn’t an issue and its better than having it all with one company who then goes bust / messes up the management.

hels
    Free Member

You will never get as good benefits transferring out, especially if Army pension is still a final salary one.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Pensions from old employers I have moved several times how do……….’ is closed to new replies.