Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Pennine Way with kids – which intersesting bits?
  • geoffj

Mrs J wants us to do a couple of days of the Pennine Way with the kids (7 & 10)
    I’m thinking B&Bs rather than camping, but can anyone recommend a couple of interesting sections with 15-20 miles per day.
    Ta

martinhutch

At their ages, I’d say (in my neck of the woods, anyhow) Malham to Horton, then Horton to Hawes.

If they’re tough and confident (!), my favourite section is, Middleton-in-Teesdale to Dufton, Dufton to Alston…

jambourgie
    Free Member

Superfortress crash site

Up on Bleaklow, near the Pennine Way (I think). Dunno if the kids will find it interesting though…

midlifecrashes

Youth Hostels can be a better experience than B&B for the kids, and family rooms for your peace of mind at those ages.

I’d pick Middleton to Dufton as the most remote yet interesting bits. Good YH at Langdon Beck and Dufton. Malham is a good shout too.

The section along Hadrian’s wall is good too, from Haltwhistle towards Once Brewed/Bardon Mill.

Some of the biggest and remotest bits can be a bit unchanging for miles without a quick change of scenery to keep them interested, or just a plain slog. The first section from Edale is good, but the natural breakpoints come at awkward mileages making for short or longer days.

midlifecrashes

Hang on, 20 miles a day for a seven year old, I don’t know your seven year old, but it sounds too much to me. 10-12 would be more like it, though we certainly had an eight year old up and down Snowdon in summertime.

totalshell

get little ones up near/ around hebden bridge ..15 miles a day is a long way for a 10yr old never mind 7 id want to be doing no more than 7/8 miles a day.. plenty of stops pop and butties.. thats why HB ticks the boxes.. lots of walks that length varying views/ scenary decent cafes for post walk refreshments

midlifecrashes

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B00G3YBUC4/ref=dp_olp_used_mbc?ie=UTF8&condition=used

This book is very handy, splits the whole of the Way into circular walks to be done one day at a time, though it adds to the mileage somewhat if you’re doing the whole thing. Hardly any out and back bits, and usually shows you something interesting on the non PW parts of your route too. I did all the bits up to Tan Hill using this years ago on weekends with the camper van.

geoffj

Thanks all – I’ll review options / mileage.
    The Malham to Horton bits look quite good – especially the bit up Pen-y-ghent

stilltortoise
    Free Member

As above, 15 – 20 miles is a long day for young kids. They will want to stop, explore, look around. If you’re constantly ticking off the miles and moving they might get bored and tired.

I loved looking at the old plane wrecks on Bleaklow as a kid, but it’s not a nice place to be if/when the weather turns for the worst.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Pennine Way with kids – which intersesting bits?’ is closed to new replies.