Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Pennine Bridleway Bikepacking
  • balfa
    Free Member

Considering attempting this with the other half later this year as we will be in the area for a wedding anyway. I’m guessing its a pretty tough route looking at the undulations 🙂

Anyone attempted this as a bike packing route? How tough is it? How many days did you take? Any suggested diversions/route improvements? Recommended pub stops? Any good bivi spot recommendations?

Thanks in advance!

whitestone
    Free Member

Ridden most of it in sections over the years but not in a oner.

Until you get to Peak Forest it’s pretty flat, well it does follow an old railway line! Then it starts to get lumpy. How rideable the hills are depends on fitness as much as anything – I don’t remember anything too steep or technical until you get to the Saddleworth area.

The section between Gisburn and Long Preston is a pain as there’s loads of gates but it’s generally flat so steady going. The one bit I haven’t done in the northern half is the last bit from the Moorcock pub to Kirkby Stephen, the initial climb up on to the shoulder of Wild Boar Fell is likely to be a push (I’ve walked this and it’s pretty steep)

The route was designed with horse riders in mind so avoids main roads wherever possible thus any diversions are likely to increase the amount on those. One diversion I can think of is at Hayfield, instead of crossing the main road keep to the east and climb up on to Middle Moor, back down to the road, cross it and rejoin the route at Matley Moor Farm.

When you get to the Calder Valley area you’ve the choice of which bit of the Mary Towneley Loop you want to do: East or West. Personally I’d choose the West.

After Stainforth you could skip the loop to Feizor and head via Wharfe and Crummackdale up to Sulber Nick but you’d miss a good cafe at Feizor.

Bivvies: anywhere out of sight really, depends on how quickly you ride as to where you might end up. I’d aim to get a pub meal at about 8pm or so then ride up the next hill and bivvy.

I think the record (S-N) is 26hrs or so. Two days would be hard work, three quite feasible, four would be very steady.

martinhutch

To fill in the gaps, the bit up from the Moorcock to Lady Anne’s Highway is mainly not really a track as such, just a series of BW markers up a steep tussocky hill (I may exaggerate a little, but I’m normally knackered by then). It will be a push for many. The rest is nice riding with a bit of road at the end if you go directly to KS. As above, Wild Boar is a toughie after all those miles, and as KS station is up a big hill from the town, you’ll probably want refreshments rather than go direct to the station.

Eat stops are a pain in the northern half. Probably the easiest off-route option is to head back to Horton from where you cross the main Horton to Ribblehead road (mostly downhill), then take the minor road to High Birkwith to rejoin. There is nowt else until the Moorcock.

whitestone
    Free Member

There’s nothing really between Horton and The Moorcock (maybe a cafe at Garsdale Head station which is about a mile short of The Moorcock). Apparently the pub at Stonehouses (slightly off route at the foot of Arten Gill) no longer does food.

martinhutch

Apparently the pub at Stonehouses (slightly off route at the foot of Arten Gill) no longer does food.

Imagine the disappointment of finding that, then having to climb the Coal Road in its entirety to get back on route.

I’ve poked around Garsdale Station waiting for a train, never noticed any kind of cafe.

martinhutch

Actually, to add in a new food stop I noticed the other day – there is a decent-looking new tearoom opened at Knight Stainforth Caravan Park in Little Stainforth just north of Settle which would stop you having to deviate off route.

More of an option if you’re adding in the Settle Loop before heading north.

whitestone
    Free Member

I’ll list a few watering holes (N-S) as I know the northern part a lot better.

The Moorcock (pub)
    Ribblehead (well off-route but butty van and pub)
    Horton (off-route, pubs and cafe)
    The Game Cock (pub) Austwick (about 400 metres off route)
    Feizor (cafe)
    Stainforth Caravan Park (thanks Martin – I noticed it the other week on the YD300 but had eaten at Feizor)
    Settle (lots of pubs and cafes)
    The Maypole (pub) Long Preston
    Paythorne – there’s a pub but I can’t remember its name.
    Gisburn pubs
    Barnoldswick is just off route and a sizeable town.
    Earby – pubs and shops
    Wycoller – cafe
    Rawtenstall

Don’t know the areas further south other than Saddleworth which has lots of pubs and cafes.

balfa
    Free Member

Thanks whitestone and martinhutch. Lots of useful stuff though I’m getting hungry at the thought of all that pub grub 😀

smokey_jo

If you decide to stop in Barnoldswick then The Fountains Inn does reasonable food and beer and has rooms.

There’s a YHA in Earby and there’s a decent chinese restaurant in town.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Bookmarked, ta

martinhutch

In terms of route improvements, and looking at the section which crosses the Aire Gap and flirts with the fleshpots of Barnoldswick and Earby, I’d be tempted to head off on the road through Lothersdale down towards Skipton or Gargrave and hit the main body of the Dales a bit further south than Long Preston, rejoining somewhere on the Settle Loop.

Don’t think you’d be missing out, and you’d gain a stop in a town more geared towards visitors, plus potentially some nice riding up to get back on the PBW.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Pennine Bridleway Bikepacking’ is closed to new replies.