Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Pennine Bridleway and Mary Towneley loop done in a day
  • alanbill99

Hi folks. Just thought some of you may want to read my write up of yesterday’s epic ride
    An unforgettable day which I hope you enjoy reading about
    It’s something which has dominated my subconscious over the last 2-3 years and it’s good to get it finally done. I think I’ll take up darts now!

http://www.alanbill99.blogspot.com/

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

Fantastic Alan and well done … just read your blog, great reading. What’s next then?

vdubber67
    Free Member

Wow. Seriously well done sir!! I’ve done a three day bikepacking trip on PB and Mary Townley so I know the route isn’t easy spinning by any means!

Impressed.

montylikesbeer

hats off

alanbill99

Next? To be honest, nothing! Small local enjoyable stuff. Probably take up fell running again as I often interchange em. Tummy problems pointed me from running to biking two years ago so it all depends on that really. It’s great not to have something looming especially with a family – time is precious enough anyway!

terrahawk
    Free Member

fantastic achievement. Well done.

twinklydave

Awesome!

Was out riding round that way on Saturday (on the road) and didn’t envy you at all!

Seriously well done 🙂

alanbill99

Thanks all – it’s strong riders like yourself TwinklyDave that keep me wanting to try harder !!

I’ll get you one day…

AndrewBF
    Free Member

Inspirational stuff. I need to find the time to get it done before I die.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Saw that on twitter earlier…

Well done that man..

Fantastic days riding 🙂

stumpyjon

MTL on it’s own is a pretty stiff ride for many….

alanbill99

MTL on it’s own is a pretty stiff ride for many….

You’re right stumpyjon – that’s exactly what I thought the first time I did the MTL. It’s fr****n hard !

large418
    Free Member

Hi Alan,
    did the Pennine BWay from Tintwhistle and the MTL and back yesterday, and it was tougher than I expected! Pretty good effort doing the full Pennine bridleway and MTL. I found the shear relentlessness of it the most tiring, with it being either up or down, and the terrain is always rough. Was looking forward to the road sections for quite a while, but they never lasted long. The cobbles and paved sections I also found hard, not for the riding but for the constant roughness – it was wet yesterday so I must admit I minced the downhills – those paved sections are slippery in the wet. Did a 12.5 hour 100mile route, with 6.10 for the MTL, so I was quite happy, but not qure if my legs had the extra 100 miles you did – respect is due!
    I might have a go at the double next year when the memories of the pain have disappeared….

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

I’m still psyching myself up to do the MTL in one hit..
    Respect to you both for doing the extras!

alanbill99

Nice one large,
    You missed out Roych Clough too – you’ve gotta do that !!!
    I think the rain wouldn’t have helped you perhaps giving you 11.5 hour 100 mile ? This roughly translates to a 24h completion doesn’t it ?
    I must say though, doing a 100 mile ride is a different proposition physically and mentally than a 200 mile ride. Don’t forget the bit down near me at the bottom of the loop is 11 miles of dismantled railway. The roughness of the rest of the trail more than makes up for it though.
    What bike did you do it on ? I used my hardtail with 2.25’s which feels so comfy !
    Let me know if you do any more – I can always hook up for something like a 3rd prospective member of the club !
    A

wrightyson
    Free Member

Can’t Imagine anyone being excited by middleton top!! Many congratulations, epic effort!! 🙂

samuri
    Free Member

Nice! I like the cut of your jib sir!

large418
    Free Member

Alan,
    have done Roych Clough a few times, and you’re right, it is a great trail. I did it on a 90mm full suss (my trusty 2002 Stumpjumper), and I have to say, on Rooley Moor I was congratulating myself on not bringing my hardtail – I am short enough already and don’t need any more help with a compressed spine! A hardtail 29er with bouncy tyres is probably optimum, but I haven’t got one!

I think the hardest section was the bits before the MTL – I was seriously considering my sanity for those bits. Would be good to hook up if I do decide to go for a double attempt, but as you say, a 200mile ride off road is a different consideration to 100miles. Maybe next year….. Not sure if I would fancy the thought of doing some of that at night, and you are very much on your own (which is great until mechanicals or worse happen).

alanbill99

Oh yeah. I remember those bits now just before the MTL. Lots of steep ups and steep downs which I think I had blocked from my memory … Until you reminded me!! There’s a lot of reservoirs round there and they all look the same. I remember giving them descents a real good hammering thinking my eyes might pop out their sockets!

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Pennine Bridleway and Mary Towneley loop done in a day’ is closed to new replies.