Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Pennine Bridleway
  • Houns

How much of the Pennine Bridleway (Excluding the MTL) is actually open? The map on the national trail website is dated 2004!
    Looking to do a lengthy ride next year and the PBW is on the list of potential routes

nbt

Quote from the website front page

120 miles of the route are currently open from Derbyshire up to and including the 47 mile Mary Towneley Loop in the South Pennines. In the Yorkshire Dales the 10 mile Settle Loop is also available.

There’s even a map on the homepage that you can zoom in and drag around, shwoing the trail in a big black line. That’s as accurate as can be to my knowledge. Start at Middleton top and go north – if you feeling ultra hard, go back to the start having completed the MT Loop

Edit – link to homepage
    http://www.nationaltrail.co.uk/PennineBridleway/

Cotters
    Free Member

So is it any good then ?? I’m thinking the same and wondered if it is a 2 or 3 day jolly ?? 🙄

crikey
    Free Member

Me and a mate got a copy of the proposed route and rode from Hexham to Appleby, Appleby to Settle, then Settle over the MT loop in about 1991.

Lots of bridleways to choose from, made a good trip..

robdeanhove
    Free Member

Read a bit about in the latest MBUK! You can ride from Middleton Top to Summit on the PBW, which then becomes the “special section” whis is the Mary townley Loop. The norther section, which connects to this, isn’t finished yet.

74miles for the PBW southern section
    47 miles for the MTL

My mates up and around in 3 days and it was a bit of an epic.

I’ll be “doing a double” in the spring (see the latest MBUK for an article about it) having set off and suffered s kipping freehub at 40miles a few weeks ago and having to pull the plug.

It’s a great adventure, highly recommended 🙂

dinosaurpootom
    Free Member

rob,
    so was that up, round and back down again in three days?
    what’s the terrain like say in comparison with SDW?
    t.

rangerbill

Evening,
    You can mail me: william.brady@lancashire.gov.uk if you have any questions about the route as Im the Pennine Bridleway Ranger. My patch is from Rochdale round the MTLoop and up through Lancashire.

Basically there are still a few niggly bits that need work either legally and/or physically (gates, road crossings, surfacing etc). Until these bits are done the northern section of the route wont be ‘officially’ opened. The section in the Dales is nearly finished and Im up there this week to ride it

If there is a group of you, I can help with free guided rides (its part of my job). If you want to do the loop in a day for example, we can help with transport, getting you round in one piece with backup, spares and food. We can also recommend good pubs at the end!
    Cheers

nbt

Having met Bill ( at an IMBA meet many moons ago) I can confirm he’s genuine and is a top chap.

ChrisE
    Free Member

The new bridge over the Ribble, part of a new BW that will form part of the Pennine BW was sort of open when we were there on Tuesday (ahem…)

C

madeinyorkshire
    Free Member

Bill , do you have a detailed OS map of the PBW for the Dales – North of the settle loop please – or a Memory Map overlay/ GPX.

pennine
    Free Member

Glad I refreshed the page. Was about to ask how the bridge was coming along Chris

rangerbill

madeinyorkshire, email me, I’ll take my gps with me on thursday then I can email it you.
    Cant find away to pm on this forum? am I missing something?

FOG

Glad to see that Ranger Bill is on the case because the National Trail office staff certainly aren’t. I e-mailed the address on the site for the sort of info Houns is after a couple of years ago and got diddly squat by way of answer

ChrisE
    Free Member

if you email peter.lambert@yorkshiredales.org.uk he will email you a PDF of the route within the YDNP (which is virtually all to the N of Settle). I got one from Gareth Evans his predecessor but have just looked and can’t find it,

C

ChrisE
    Free Member

or the full dataset can be downloaded free from the Magic site

http://www.magic.gov.uk/datadoc/metadata.asp?datasetname=National%20Trails%20%28England%29

if you know how to use GIS

C

domino

Where does the PBW go south of Settle to meet other sections of the PBW? Am interested as I live in Skipton, there is a bit of a bridleway gap from the south of Skipton to Keighley-ish. I know ways it can be done, just wonderered what the official route will be.

ChrisE
    Free Member

Through Long Preston, Cow Bridge & I think Halton West but I’m a bit sketchy after that.

rangerbill

Im going to try a make a map this afternoon of the open sections of the route from the loop up to Long Preston (LCC mapping only covers Lancashire :wink:)
    I’ll be emailing this out to those that have already mailed me, if you want a copy mail me
    william.brady@lancashire.gov.uk

Im also hoping to get as much of the route onto gpx files as I can in the next month. Again if your interested mail me direct.

Cheers

Junkyard
    Free Member

imagine being the only person who can legitimately claim STW is Work we are all jealous and thanks for all the good work in Lancashire

rangerbill

Right rough 1:50k map done of northern section to the Yorkshire dales. Mail me if you want a copy.

As mentioned before contact Peter Lambert for the Dales route/gpx file. (s’pose I’d better warn him what I’ve just volunteered him for :lol:)

Planning one gigantic PBW tracklog from Middleton Top to Cumbria…watch this space

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Pennine Bridleway’ is closed to new replies.