Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Penmachno:Ok base for a family holiday?
  • Bagstard
    Free Member

I’m looking for a family holiday in October with places to ride nearby. Ideally shortish rides, so I can nip out early without being missed too much and maybe a morning or afternoon at Antur.

patriotpro
    Free Member

Penmachno would make a good base for a family hol.

Good riding for you and ByC nearby for the fam.

grum
    Free Member

There’s not a lot in Penmachno, I’d have thought you’d be better off based in Betws y Coed just down the road – a few shops/cafés etc (bistro there was awesome when we went a few years ago too).

mikewsmith
    Free Member

It’s a bit small, the village looks like a good old one horse town.

Staying over Betws or Capel way there might be a bit more about and just as easy to get round.

patriotpro
    Free Member

ByC is 5 min drive from ‘machno…

Klunk
    Free Member

this place is pretty close by though the beach is 30/40 mins away depending but it is lovely though october it will be quite bracing 🙂 The pub is OK LLanwrst is probably best for take aways fish & chips or curry. Also the back road in is a little scary if you’re afraid of heights 😉

Bagstard
    Free Member

Thanks all, the main attraction of Penmachno is being able to pedal to the trail, so I could potentially get out for a few hours on most days.

I’m not worried about the one horse town aspect, we would expect to drive pretty much everywhere.Nice dog walks and reasonably close by activities for an almost three year old would be a bonus.

scandal42
    Free Member

Royston Vasey

patriotpro
    Free Member

the main attraction of Penmachno is being able to pedal to the trail

5 mins ride from the village.

grum
    Free Member

Also easily ridden to from ByC (and there’s the Marin trail). Not sure why you’d want to base yourself where there’s nowt and have to drive to shops/pubs etc but each to their own. 🙂

Bagstard
    Free Member

Ok grum, I will refine my search to ByC, I quite liked the Marin.

molgrips
    Free Member

It’s a tiny village in the middle of nowhere, but North Wales generally is packed with stuff to do so anywhere you can stay will be good I reckon.

SOAP
    Free Member

What’s the food like at The Eagles pub?

funkybaj
    Free Member

I’m pretty sure they don’t do food, they didn’t when we went 9 months back.

Frankers
    Free Member

Eagles definitely doesn’t do food anymore.

hora
    Free Member

I think mrshora would DIE of boredom if we stayed within 5miles of Penmachno.

Imagine the weathers shite- theres not much to do in Bewtys-Y-Coed really bar a few walking shops and a Spar IMO.

Better to do your riding thing with mates and have a weekend in York/Edinburgh/London with the family if they aren’t rabid/die-hard cyclists.

Klunk
    Free Member

off for a week in penmachno in september with the mrs, luckily she loves riding her stumpjumper fsr. The spar in ByC is pretty poor but theres a much better Somerfield in Llanwrst.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

bar a few walking shops and a SparSPA IMO.

FIFY

SOAP
    Free Member

I’m there next week so just as well mrs soap loves riding…

Bagstard
    Free Member

We will be mostly walking, visiting beaches, castles and childrens activities. peace, quiet and countryside with the option for me to get a few rides in.

We want a nice cottage with an enclosed garden, but we expect to have to drive to any attractions. Much as my wife and I love Edinburgh/York etc they are not ideal places to take a dog.

ampthill

North Wales is a good venue for what you sugest but Penmachno has bever made me think family holiday. I’m in a similar sitaution to you in that my wife walks the dog while I’m riding. Wales has lots of sheep which means our dog tends to stay on the lead.

How about the holiday Chalets at the end of Coed y Brenin. CYB is great for dog walking. Nice cafe and play ground. Its also big enough that the dog does get off the lead

http://www.cadairviewlodge.co.uk/Cadair%20View%20Lodge%20Location.htm

I think these are them. I’ve never stayed but it does look nice

Or stay in Llanberis and ride Telegraph pass and the quarries

Stoner
    Free Member

Am currently having morning coffee at our holiday cottage on the outskirts of Aberystwyth.

Have had a great holiday w family of 2x young boys. Ive ridden Summit at NYA, Mach 3 and Climacx this week. Aber is OK, but it’s worked out that most of our days out have been based around Machynlleth which is nice as it’s a lovely town. When we come back to Wales for our summer holiday we will probably base ourselves there. You can ride to Mach 1, 2 & 3 and Climacx from the town centre.

Today we 4 will be riding on one of the Sustrans routes out of Aber.

Bagstard
    Free Member

More food for thought, I will look into both those options thank you.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Another vote for Mach as a base. Great riding, lovely little town.

muddyground
    Free Member

Barmouth or Dolgellau? Both great places – enough for the family to do whilst you pedal off into the distance. Used to live in North Wales and holiday there most years. Seem to find that if you stay by a beach, the driving is self limited as some days you just don’t have a need or inclination to go anywhere. Stop inland and the weather turns, you spend all bloomin’ day driving and the kids get fractious.

Dolgellau has a great children’s playground, plus bike hire right in town. And of course just up the road from there……

Another option is Beddgelert, which provides easy access to Snowdon of a morning before everybody is up. Steam trains and ice cream for kiddo. Job done.

cadairviewlodge
    Free Member

Thanks for recommending us ampthill.
    We are 2 miles from CyB trail centre or you can ride out straight from our accommodation. There are 30+ trails within an hour’s drive of us and loads more wildriding. Antur is about 20 minutes drive away.
    We accept 1 pet per log cabin or 2 in The Rhiw Goch Cottage. We are flexible about how long you stay… from 1 night. Pub 5 minutes walk away where children and dogs are welcomed.
    Lots to do in Coed y Brenin for all of the family… not just mountain biking, and we’re an easy drive to all of the Snowdonia touristy places too.
    Late deals and special offers on our website including 5 nights for the price of 2 deals.
    With more than 10 years in the business we must be doing something right 😉
    Drop me an email with your dates, Bagstard and we’ll be happy to give you a quote.
    Sue

Bagstard
    Free Member

I did like the look of beddgelert, but Snowdon is a bit of a one trick pony. Somewhere near a trail centre is ideal for me, particularly a centre with more than one option.

Bagstard
    Free Member

Thanks Sue, CyB is looking like a good option.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Penmachno:Ok base for a family holiday?’ is closed to new replies.