Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Penmachno the debrief.
  • hotgospeller
    Free Member

Well, I never thought I’d cook up such a storm with my little question about the trails at Penmachno last week.

My verdict: great. Five minutes from a cheap cottage in the village (with wood burning stove for us Ray Mears types) sound way marking and some descent riding – a) because it’s all done by volunteers…much respect and thanks to you all and b) cus it’s a darned site closer to ‘real’ mountain terrain than my rural Nottinghamshire – and all a chance comment in the cottage blurb, I wasn’t even going to take my bike!

Made it out by eight AM and was buzzing along whoops and twists barely a quarter of an hour later. Lack of sleep and full English were my only enemies, while the necessity of riding my trusty twelve year old Kona on such terrain due to mechanicals on the ‘trail’ (skill killer) bike left me lamenting that all my machismo about how hardtails are up to it if you know how to ride fell flat on their face – as did I.

It was in the open moorland ‘I’m living in a Howies advert’ section that my perennial mantra that ‘if you put your weight back and let it go, the bike will roll over anything’ let me down and I went over the bars hard onto a large slab of rock. Still, the twenty minutes sat cleaning up and plastering my elbows, contemplating how if I’d reach the cottage before my wife phoned to get me a ride in the big yellow helicopter, allowed me a chance to recover from the late night/early morning exhaustion. I was soon buzzing along again (more gingerly) glad that the mere five miles of undulating forest between me and home was going to take me the estimated half hour of riding rather than three of limping.

Wow, for a limey like me, there were some good rocky descents and primeval pine forest moments. Switchbacks! I wish I could slide the rear end around like my bike shop mate…as it was I needed an HGV lisence!

Did the shorter bit in two hours with injury stop – met family in village to play pooh sticks on the bridge – got my Full English then did Snowdon.

And as for any comparison with the Marin Trail, I couldn’t possibly comment…oh yes, and try some real riding you whipper-snappers – nature aint no theme park – buy an OS Map and come ride some terror in the Dark Peak. chin, chin!

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Don’t worry. Pen did for me once. Broke ‘elmet and a hweel.

unklehomered
    Free Member

Part of me will always be in machno, I looked, but I don’t find the chunk a v-brake boss ripped out of my leg when I binned it once in one of the earlier sections… Finished the ride though.

Last few sections of machno are some of the best forest single track I have ever ridden. Need to get back there.

tazzymtb

played there today rigid and singlespeed was great fun 😀

Like the climbs on the Marin more though as they are bigger, penmachno is a wee bit easy.

somouk
    Free Member

Any details on the cottage??

unklehomered
    Free Member

Did you ever find the pub open. We used to dream of finding the pub open when we were down there twice a year… never did. 😥

honourablegeorge

unklehomered – Member
    Did you ever find the pub open. We used to dream of finding the pub open when we were down there twice a year… never did.

The Eagles? I stayed there years ago, ona freezing, snowy January weekend, in theit hostel rooms. The crap, dribbling warm shower was an absolute godsend for the frozen toes after the ride. And we then got properly drunk downstairs. Happy days. Has it closed?

patriotpro
    Free Member

Has it closed?

I hope not!

colournoise

I was kind of disappointed with Penmachno when I went this summer.

Until I hit the long swoopy forest section after the moorland rocks.

That and the final blast back down to the carpark are brilliant and well worth all the fireroad.

slainte 😀 rob

Rorschach
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWdd6_ZxX8c[/video]

hotgospeller
    Free Member

…And as for that cottage – check out Sykes cottages – it’s called Derwen Dir…

Klunk
    Free Member
    bigpole
    Free Member

Penmach is one of my all time fave rides, the last forest section is awesome I must admit the rocky section before hand is a demanding to say the least. The Marin has fantastic climbs but the descents pale into insignificance compared to Penmach.

maxray
    Free Member

Probably one of my favourite trails despite only riding it once …half of that was with no seat post! The last few sections are amazing!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Penmachno the debrief.’ is closed to new replies.