Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Penmachno or Marin?
  • andymc06
    Free Member

We are in Betws-y-coed for two days this week. Thursday is sorted as we are doing the uplift at Antur Stiniog. We want to ride something we have’t done before on Weds and I have narrowed it down to Penmachno or the Marin trail. Any advice as to which to ride? Any closures, trail conditions etc which might swing it one way or the other?

jekkyl

why not both? That’s what some people do. Simply put pen machno is very wet, a lot of it is literally riding through streams so do it 2nd if you do them both. The marin has A LOT of very boring up, fireroad anyone? it seems to go on forever but the down bits that are there are good in a classic 90s type way. Both are enjoyable but if you only do one I would plump for penmachno.

andymc06
    Free Member

I know what you are saying Rich but I don’t fancy the guesswork this week. 🙂

mtbguiding
    Free Member

As above – Marin’s great but some big climbs. Penmachno’s great but wet in places – especially loop 2. There’s a few sections of Penmachno closed at the mo – the trio of descents early on. That could make a difference? Or if you want a guide for some natural stuff 🙂

hegdehog
    Free Member

You can link the 2 together…..apparently.. 😉

darkslider
    Free Member

Out of the two at the moment I would go for the Marin, we’ve had some serious rain here recently so a lot of Penmachno is wetter than normal, which is pretty damn wet, and with felling work there there’s diversions in place which mean you can’t complete the full loops.

If you’d asked during the summer it might’ve been different though!

tymbian
    Free Member

I’ve not done the Marin but imo Penmacno is what mountain biking is all about. Great ( read fantastic) views and a mixture of loamy, rock, small bit of north shore, waterfalls (small). Tech in places, tech run to the c-park. I make a point of going every time I’m up that way.

tymbian
    Free Member

Just seen darksliders’ post. I was there in the summer. If I was up there now I think I’d dress accordingly and do Penmachno although I don’t know the extent of the closures..

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Penmachno any day of the week. Too much fire road and not enough singletrack on the Marin. I love the trails at Penmachno, the final descent is just brilliant.

Check out this site for some natural loops in the area

http://www.theedgecycleworks.com/mtb-route-search-results/

tymbian
    Free Member

OP….While you’re at Antur can you ask about a proposed trail linking Antur with Penmachno…..just a whisper I heard..

jekkyl

there’s a great curry house not 1 mile from the marin

Home

😀

andymc06
    Free Member

Cheers guys. I’ll try and ask at Antur and there’s an excellent chance I’ll give that curry house a go!

Northwind

We rode Penmachno in a beautiful indian summer week in September, the only wet thing in Wales was the trail. It is a wonder of engineering. Brilliant riding though.

I love the Marin but I can see why lots of people don’t, the climb/descend ratio is buggered but it’s got some of the best trailcentre descents I’ve ever ridden, I think (not hard but brilliant), and it’s an interesting location too.

chrisdw
    Free Member

At the moment. Marin.
    Penmachno has some felling work on at the moment which cuts out, IMO, the best descents on the trail. All of Marin, as far as I’m aware, is open, and they’ve just done loads of work on it so its riding really well at the moment.

Joining them up is possible tho and makes for a good ride. If you grab a map you can do it with very minimal road use too.

jekkyl

I’m sure I read somewhere they were building some new stuff at the marin, anyone any ideas?

teamslug
    Free Member

Penmach is my favourite trail. Feels wild and out there even though its signed. Recently returned to Marin after probably 10 years and its still a great ride. Lots of climbing though. Dragons tail is really good. Penmach always wetter than a wet thing…

scotabroad

Dony know why but I prefer the MArin, love the singletrack thats there.

jontykint
    Free Member

I’m guessing/hoping the forest operations won’t affect the enduro at penmachno in a couple of weeks?

Mister-P
    Free Member

I rode both in a day and didn’t really rate Penmachno. It felt like a lot of up for not a lot of down to me. I much preferred the Marin.

billysugger
    Free Member

Penmachno if you’ve got the horse legs to make the most of it.

Never really seems to get going apart from the last descent which goes on for a little bit.

Mossy scenery is Lord of the Rings stuff though.

large418
    Free Member

TheMarin followed by a natural trail from Betwys over to the lake north of Betwys (it starts on a steep road climb up, then ends up climbing via a footpath through the woods then down to the lake, where there is a small tea shop. Then turn left up the valley and a natural trail to capel Curig. Then work out a way back to Betwys. The Penmachno in the afternoon.

jedi

not done marin but two loops of the red at penmachno would do me

pitcherpro
    Free Member

Marin has had a few bits of trail work done . To be honest they’re both great trails but agree Penmachno may be a tad wet and messy due to forestry work .

daveells
    Free Member

rode Penmachno last week ,wet,wet,wet but its Wales in october ! some sections closed off but we made sure there was nobody working and were able to ride them . They have opened some new bits of trail which are ok but didnt quite flow right for me . But still one of my faves I would go Penmachno

Lawmanmx
    Free Member

did both recently and must say I much prefer penmachno to the marin trail, the marin seemed waaay too much fire road climbing for not much singletrack, saying that, the singletrack that is there is good, penmachno on the other hand has the lot as far as im concerned, it feels more of a complete ride with some ass clenching descents (at speed of course) good climbs fire road AND singletrack, I Love the place and can’t wait to go back 8)
    p.s, both are doable in a day.

chvck
    Free Member

Marin every time for me, didn’t really gel with Penmachno.

dirtydog
    Free Member

over to the lake north of Betwys (it starts on a steep road climb up, then ends up climbing via a footpath through the woods then down to the lake, where there is a small tea shop

Llyn Crafnant, no finer spot in North Wales to enjoy a cuppa and a slice of lemon drizzle cake.

martinhutch

You can extend the Marin by breaking off and picking up the Sarn Helen Trail towards Moel Siabod and back from the halfway point, which makes it a worthwhile mileage for a day ride.

I liked the trail, some nice sections.

Sionwms
    Free Member

I’ve also linked them both up ended up at about 48 miles that’s definitely one for long summers day though. If you’ve enough time Marin in morning then grab some food and drive over do 1st loop on Penmachno.
    As above there is endless amounts of routes to be done starting from Marin if you know where your going. 🙂

hegdehog
    Free Member

If you do head to Penmachno, then Conwy Falls cafe is worth a visit for a post ride re-fuel..

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Penmachno if you’ve got the horse legs to make the most of it.

Never really seems to get going apart from the last descent which goes on for a little bit.

Mossy scenery is Lord of the Rings stuff though.

Agreed. Not my fave trail in Wales, I’m afraid.

chrisdw
    Free Member

Apparently the forestry work wont be affecting the enduro at Penmachno, so no worries there.

andymc06
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies. I’ll discuss it with the lads and look to do a combination of the two trails I think. Looking forward to it.

HindlePie
    Free Member

If you ride the Marin Trail, there’s a cracking footpath right after Dragons Tail, which cuts off a huge chunk of the fire road descent.

Instead of crossing the tarmac lane which comes after Dragons tail, turn left up it and follow this for about half a mile until you see a FP sign on the right (right after a cottage). Through this. Along for about 100m, then left at the junction, then down all the way to the forest road staying left at the next couple of junctions.

E-mail if you need any further info.

andymc06
    Free Member

Cheers HP

andymc06
    Free Member

Update. Did both loops of Penmachno yesterday in glorious sunshine. Still the wettest ride I have been on! Found loop one much more enjoyable than 2. There are two new smooth “motorway” sections in loop one which were great fun and welcome relief from streams and puddles 🙂 . Went to the Indian restaurant recommended above and it was indeed excellent. Forgot to ask about the link trail at Stiniog. Stiniog was very good in spite of very poor conditions. I was enjoying it immensely until my crash on the bottom of the black run finished my day!!!

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Penmachno or Marin?’ is closed to new replies.