Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Penmachno & Marin Trail "v" llangollen
  • Ti29er
    Free Member

I was going to ride up & down Snowdon on Friday but the forecast is heavy rain and gale force rains.

So I thought the two above mentioned trails sounded good options but also wondered about llangollen of which I know nothing.

Any thoughts as I'd prefer to be in the woods on such a wild, windy and wet day (I have ridden C y B enough times already) & I'm happy to consider alternatives?

2hottie
    Free Member

I did Peno at the weekend. Loved it.

Ti29er
    Free Member

I'm swayed towards Pen as I'm holidaying on Anglesey and it's closer.
    Plus having 2x trails to ride, it makes a logical and manageable 2 ride day with the café for lunch and then home for tea.

cp

the marin trail is closer to anglesey than the marin!!! not much in it, but you have to (essentially) go past marin to get to pen.

I like them both. Pen has a bit more of a remote feel to it.

cp

oops, didn't see the llangollen bit 🙂 Pen is essentially just one big loop with a cut-through to do the shorter one. there isn't a cafe or any other facilities there.

if you're doing the marin, you can drop down into betws for lunch, though it would make two smallish rides!

santacruzsi
    Free Member

Penmachno may be closed in some places on 17th due to the Cambrian Rally taking place through the forest!

Ti29er
    Free Member

Riding on the 09th.
    It'll be the 2x rides with lunch in B' for lunch.
    How very civilised.

Snowdon on Saturday 10th if the weather clears with soup and a sticky bun at the top in the new café.

Thanks

slugwash
    Free Member

Snowdon on Saturday ……..with soup and a sticky bun at the top in the new café.

A wise choice to have the soup 'cos the coffee there's fookin' crap

The word Nescafe does not belong on an espresso machine.

uponthedowns
    Free Member

Llangollen stuff is pretty exposed and needs a bit of time and local knowledge to get the best out of it and its a fair trek from Anglesey. If it was me I'd go with sheltering in the trees and do the Marin.

fbk
    Free Member

Bits of Penmachno are pretty exposed – especially the top of Loop 2. Cracking loop but if the weather really is that bad you might not want to be up there. Marin trail is a bit more enclosed in the woods – I've done that in truly shocking weather and still had a blast 🙂

Ti29er
    Free Member

Hope to manage both Pen and Marin trails and then Snowdon on Saturday morning.
    Think that's too ambitious for my mini break with the family?

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Ah the open section of Pen is exposed. It was lashing down last time I did it and the rain kept washing salty sweat in my eyes, my glasses were useless too so I was almost blind as well as getting soaked and buffeted – wild!

Bunnyhop

Yes it does get a bit windy at the top section. My friend got blown off her bike into a ditch, once I knew she was o.k. we laughed for ages.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Penmachno & Marin Trail "v" llangollen’ is closed to new replies.