Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Penmachno
  • shanta
    Free Member

Never been before and thinking of going soon but what postcode do i stick in the sat nav as starting point and what is best Marin or Penmachno. Also can anyone suggest a good B&B nearby.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

The Eagles pub in the village has bunkrooms, bike storage and does good grub.
    Penmachno is much betterer than Marin, newer, so better designed. Marin is one of the originals, so big climbs, but short downs, even a long DH on the forest road, cardinal sin.

shanta
    Free Member

Whats a usefull postcode for Penmachno trail then ?

steveh

Not sure about a postcode as there’s nothing near the start. Set your sat nav to Penmachno and if coming from the betws side drive right through the village and out the other side. About 1/2 mile out of the village there is a big layby on your right and a fire road heading up the hill. This is the start, you can park in the layby or up the fireroad a little way there are some spaces.

Trailseeker
    Free Member
    NorthernStar
    Free Member

Banana, nothing wrong with Marin Trail, sure things have move on a little with trail building in the last few years but it’s still a great ride.

Plus what’s wrong with a bit of fire road now and again? It gives you a chance for a breather and an oppertunity to appreciate the views before you nail the next singetrack section. That longish downhill on fire road is where you can get some serious speed up so it’s still excellent fun.

Also from the Marin train you can link into some excellent natural (and cheeky) riding across to Llyn Crafnant and Trefriw if you have an OS map handy.

Hate the way people bash some of the older trail centres these days. That’s pretty much akin to kicking your grandparents up the arse because they now walk a little slower than they used to.

loddrik
    Free Member

Marins got some decent sections but Penmachno is utterly excellent. Loop 2 is my favourite trail anywhere.

stumpy01

Done both trails once. Much preferred Penmachno. Marin seemed to be as described above; loads of climbing with little to show in terms of descending, although we were pretty whacked from a few successive days of riding so perhaps not best placed to jusdge at the time.

I really enjoyed Penmachno – can’t really single any specific bits out, but it seemed to gel together well & flow nicely.

Scamper
    Free Member

Penmachno is good because of some good decents on loop 1 and a more xc orientated loop 2.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Hate to go against the grain, but I found Penmachno rather dull.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Penmachno’ is closed to new replies.