Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Penine bridleway towing a trailer ?
  • dale
    Free Member

got a trailer (bob yak copy)got some camping stuff, just back from 30 miles on the mary townley and it was tough over broken rubble both descending and ascending.Intend to start at kirkby stephen aim at 30 miles a day finish in Hebden Bridge are the trails a little smoother out of Calderdale ?
    My stuff wont pack on the bike so must use trailer.Any one done it and care to coment ?

dale
    Free Member

no one done it ?

dave360

Not done it with a trailer myself, but if the Bobalike will fit though the anti moto barriers, then why not.

martinhutch

I only know about most of the top bit ie Kirkby Stephen to Settle. The only bit I can’t vouch for on that section is the initial climb over Wild Boar Fell as I usually miss it out and use the road from the end of Lady Anne’s Way.

You should be mostly fine. The newly opened descent from Lady Anne’s towards Garsdale is just unimproved tussocky crap, but at least you’ll be going downhill. After you’ve enjoyed the coal road climb out of Garsdale, the tracks are mostly fine. There’s a bit of narrow off-camberness just before the drop to Newby Head and it’s a bit loose climbing out of Stainforth, but I’m struggling to think of anything that’s going to cause you major problems.

clarkpm4242
    Free Member

Descent from Wild Boar Fell maybe OK if its dry.

Watch out for the first steeper rubbley section towards Clapham.

Final descent towards Hebden could involve some walking if you are tired.

Not done the bit between Long Preston and the MTL.

Find a cheap B&B in Settle and do it over 2 days??

rickt
    Free Member

If you looking at routes out of Calderdale, you have the option of the route 66 which is canal tow paths and flat compact trails at the foot of the valley

martinhutch

Watch out for the first steeper rubbley section towards Clapham.

True – an option is to take the BW directly to Wharfe and swap Long Lane descent for some fun singletrack (although there is a clapper bridge to negotiate…) The BWs from Austwick to Feizor are all quite overgrown and nettley at the mo, so it’s better all round.

Edric64
    Free Member

Yorkshire subterranean society caving hut in Helwith bridge is a fiver a night hot showers lockable bike store ,drying room and next to the pub .Its HQ for the 3 peaks cx

dale
    Free Member

Thanks for the information every one ,looking forward to a slow journey

dave360

Ignore me, I was thinking of the Trans-Penine

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Penine bridleway towing a trailer ?’ is closed to new replies.