Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Penetrating oil.
  • jambourgie
    Free Member

For shifting stuck bolts. Anything better than WD40?

slackalice
    Free Member

PlusGas

trail_rat
    Free Member

Your own piss would be better than wd40

Look at 3:1 high penetrant spray ( orange can) ( can be had in bnq)
    Or
    Plus gas ( usually special order from hardware store)

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    jeffl

Plus gas failed on the drop links on the car. Had to resort to an angle grinder. Bit disappointed as I’d heard it was the daddy.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Somethings do get corroded so badly that theres nothing in this world will take them off except rotary spanner. But plus gas and heat( oxy/ acetelyne or mapp gun – not boiling water or the **** hair drier) is almost as close

Diesels another good one – esp if you can soak the offending item in it over night,

trail_rat
    Free Member

The other thing you learn when working on old cars is …if you plan on doing a job at the weekend…stick the high pen fluid on all bolts involved every night for a week previous.

jambourgie
    Free Member

Your own piss would be better than wd40

😀 Thought as much.

Also found this which seems promising. DIY penetrating oil from vegetable oil and nail varnish remover.

sweepy
    Free Member

My old mechanic recommended diesel and used engine oil mixed 50:50 in a spray bottle.

simonbowns
    Free Member

RP90 – it’s pretty amazing stuff

trail_rat
    Free Member

Acetone and atff works well too , not a million miles away from veg oil and nail polish remover.

woodlikesbeer
    Free Member

Halfords shock and unlock spray stuff works very well. Bought some when they stopped selling Plus Gas

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

We use stuff at work called kroil, not sure if you can buy it non trade though. Pretty good stuff, works on aero engine LPT bolts which have been running rather hot, for a couple of years usually.

thorlz
    Free Member

Ambersil rust flash.

Best stuff I have used yet

Fantastic stuff, but Watch where yoy spray it, you don’t want to get a lung full of it

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Go to local car auto parts shop?

Northwind

Plusgas for me. PPC magazine did a test a while back and I think more or less tied plusgas and GT85.

Anyone find freeze-release type sprays worthwhile? It always feels a bit homoepathic.

bennn
    Free Member

Try Superslaks http://www.silmid.com/products/arrow-super-slaks-600ml-aerosol.aspx

We use it at work (contains graphite) and is very, very good.

Ben.

craigxxl
    Free Member

I’ve used the 50:50 acetone/ auto transmission fluid with great results.

Underhill
    Free Member

I tried the freeze spray we get in work a couple of weeks ago. Didn’t expect much but it did the job where penetrating oil had failed.

I found the trick was to get it into the rusty threads directly, not to use it as a penetrating fluid.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Heat the sod up gently (non oil based applications only).

globalti
    Free Member

Penetrating oil doesn’t penetrate util you’ve broken the chemical bond caused by the oxidation. Wallop the offending fitting with a big hammer to shock it free THEN use penetrating oil to help it move, backing off frequently to allow debris to clear from the threads.

Former 1986 Land Rover 90 owner.

kcal

Fin-Super lube is what I use, but it’s not heavy duty really.

peterfile
    Free Member

Penetrating oil doesn’t penetrate util you’ve broken the chemical bond caused by the oxidation. Wallop the offending fitting with a big hammer to shock it free THEN use penetrating oil to help it move, backing off frequently to allow debris to clear from the threads.

+1

neilwheel
    Free Member

+2

Any exposed threads, lay into them with a wire brush.

woffle
    Free Member

Been working through replacing a host of bits on my 20+ year old car. Liberal coatings of PlusGas and, equally important, giving it time to work, seem to have done the trick thus far.

Did a full suspension swap without too much swearing – just got the car on stands and gave everything a good coating the night before, as well as first thing am, before starting later in the day. All worked fine and didn’t have to resort to hammer / heat…

andrewh
    Free Member

I’ve found Shock & Unlock to be pretty much useless. Best I ever used was Fospro PX but can’t find any anywhere. Anyone one know a stockist?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Penetrating oil.’ is closed to new replies.

New deal added to Members Discounts