Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Pendine Sands Landspeed racing
  • sharkattack

I occasionally check Speedhunters for good photography of interesting cars and this morning I found this.

http://www.speedhunters.com/2013/09/pendine-pounders-speed-trials-on-sand/

I almost could not believe that some of those pictures were taken in the present day UK. I’m also disappointed that I didn’t know about the event in advance, but apparently this is the first such event and hopefully there will be more.

Looks like a good day out. Very, low-key and care-free. The pictures are also quite easy on the eye due to the absence of branding, grandstands, promo girls and a dozen go-pro’s on every car.

Anyway, worth sharing I thought.

ktmblag
    Free Member

there is some great history at pendine. went down a few years ago when the museum was open. there was some great motorcycles there and some scary dangerous car. (BABS)

ir_bandito
    Free Member

That’s brilliant. Got to go one day.
    Love the noise on the video 🙂

[Heads off to http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/%5D

CountZero

OMG! That’s fantastic, I’ve got to got to this next year. I’ve been into rods and customs for forty-odd years, and I’ve driven along Pendine Sands in my old ’54 split-screen Minor. Had a 1300 A-series with a van rear axle, after I twisted the ends off the half-shafts, and I managed to get it flat-out at 73mph!
    They’re right about the wierd handling, my Moggy got really squirmy at that speed. 😀

sharkattack

So can you just drive onto the beach at Pendine Sands? Just to have a hoon about in your own time?

EDIT: This is my favourite pic;

fasthaggis

Excellent ,thanks for posting that up ,some great photos 🙂

I only ever got as far as Pembrey sands when we had holidays on the Gower ,that was quite an impressive stretch of beach.

phildaws
    Free Member

sharkattack, over summer you can park on the beach, but you are pretty restricted on what you can do/where you can go. A large part of the beach is sectioned off for military weapons testing and I think “hooning” might be frowned upon 🙂

Thanks to the op, I will be keeping an eye out for any repeat events…

CountZero

When I was down at Pendine, which was quite some time ago, early eighties, I guess, you could drive the entire length of the beach, about six miles before the sand got too soft to drive on. There was a speed restriction, with rangers driving around at the entrance, but once you got away from the first mile or so, there was nobody about to see how fast you were going. Great fun! 😀
    Just had a look at Pendine on the OS map on my phone, and the danger areas are in Laugharne Burrows, the dune areas behind the beach, so I guess you can still drive the whole length.

doh
    Free Member

you can get on the beach no problem out of season at black rock sands (cant remember the town) great fun in any car

franksinatra

I think they land C130’s on the beach sometimes, might want to check that before driving off along it!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Pendine Sands Landspeed racing’ is closed to new replies.