Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Pembrokeshire & the Gower or Purbeck & Dorset
  • JohnClimber
    Free Member

In a large(ish) camper van that doesn’t need plugging in, so wild camping.
    For coastal walking, country pubs with the dog in early September.

If you’ve done either or both witch is best and why?

Cheers

jambalaya
    Free Member

Pembrokeshire and the Gower definitely but let’s be clear both are lovely. Do both eventually. I know Dorset better as its is a 1-2 hr drive versus 5-6 for Pembrokeshire. Gower we often did as friends had a house in Mumbles and it wasngoof for an Afan / beech doible header 🙂

Coastline even better and more of it, bit more remote so less crowded (Pembrokeshire, Gower can be tourist central esp in August). Beaches better and more accessible, a lot of Jurassic coast is cliffs etc. What I can’t asnwer is “wild camping” bit butbwouod imagine Wales better for that than Daaarset

elliptic
    Free Member

Pembroke for me too, proper wild coastline facing out to the atlantic, big beaches, little remote villages.

Dorset is… very nice, but not exactly away-from-it-all (although it does have the Square & Compass as a trump card!)

Eyepic
    Free Member

Pembrokeshire.. every time… wouldn’t bother with the Gower although it is nice… because there is so much coastline in Pembs… something silly like 180 miles of coastal National Park.

jambalaya
    Free Member

There are quite a few threads on Pembrokeshire in particular inc this one here

midlifecrashes

What with all the oil and gas development around Milford Haven, Pembrokeshire looks like the aftermath of the Gulf War these days, especially around Marloes, Solva and the like, best avoid.

See also Northumberland. 😉

Pigface
    Free Member

So you can see oil refineries from Solva 🙄 or are you being deliberately misleading ? 😉

Pembs and Gower, go spend a night at Abereiddy really lovely and take a hike to Barafundel Bay

Gower is a bit busier but still some isolation if you look hard enough

midlifecrashes

Sorry Pigface, just doing the “nothing to see here, drive on by, turn right for Cornwall” thing. It’s lovely and I hope it stays uncrowded.

JohnClimber
    Free Member

South West Wales it is then.

Cheers

Ref Northumberland we use a cottage there every year and love it

jambalaya
    Free Member

For Gower Threecliffs and Oxwich Bay is lovely as is Rhosilli & Worms Head, you can do a circular walk along the beach and them back along the hill top which is excellent (ignoring the holiday camp 🙁 )

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Pembrokeshire & the Gower or Purbeck & Dorset’ is closed to new replies.