Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • pembrokeshire
  • peteroughton169
    Free Member

hi all, newbie here. i am going to be living in tenby, pembrokeshire for most of the next year, 2 weeks at a time. i would be greatfull (?) of any trail recomendations apart from the obvious brechfa. all replies will be very appreciated!

geoffj

You're gonna struggle. Preseli hills have bit, but that'd be a trek from Tenby.
    Take up watersports while you are there or get a road bike.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Climbing

CountZero

Well, you're probably closer to the trail centers in the south than I am in North Wilts, and you've no bridge tolls to worry about. There's Cwm Carn, and Afan which should be easily reached from Tenby.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

we had a rule when we used to go to St Davids for climbing trips

However long it takes to get to the end of the M4 = the time it takes to get to St Davids

holds fast no matter where you start on a B'hol weekend

CountZero

Distance-wise you're probably a bit closer, but no tolls. You've got a good run up through Camarthen to Brecon, and there's loads of good riding in the Beacons and around Llangorse.

Ambrose

Log onto MTB-Wales.com . Loads of good advice and opportunities there. There are quite a few riders near (relatively, be prepared to travel!) Tenby.

I'm in Ammanford, working in Burry Port, about an hour away.

Colin-T

Not much local to Tenby.

There's some stuff around Blackmill that I've not tried – from all reports its not great.

Some riding on the Presellis.

Lots of good stuff round Brechfa in addition to the waymarked stuff.

Nant-yr-arian is a doable distance and there's loads more riding in that area too.

ampthill

Surfing

Rock Climbing

Road Cycling

Windsurfing

Surf Canoeing

All great

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

Agree with all the above. Not best served by trails but spectacular area nonetheless. Learn to surf. Road riding around there is all pretty good – not much traffic and great scenery, not many big climbs, but lots of short sharp ones. A few short stretches of bridleway in N Pembs (Between St Davids and Fishguard), including some quite nice coastal stuff, but none of it really links up, and a lot of it is very poorly maintained – remember having to scale fences and wade through a knee deep bog on one particularly sketchy ride!

As others have said, it's a fairly easy run up to the Brecons or Cambrians, and despite the lack of local trails I'm sure you'll have a blast.

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

Forgot to mention – again it's a bit of a trek from Tenby but google MarReg trail for ideas in North Pembrokeshire – covers most of the bits I mentioned above.

Ambrose

Or come join us for a couple of rides. The A48 is pretty fast.

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Some of the best climbing in the UK.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘pembrokeshire’ is closed to new replies.