Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • peloponnese/mani holidays
  • sadexpunk

looking for our annual greek holiday, and i remembered from past threads that the mani peninsular was recommended.

had a look at prices, theyre a bit dearer than the usual island fare, but maybe do-able so thought id look a bit more closely into the logistics.

i seem to remember stoupa or some place beginning with ‘k’ nearby were recommended.

so, what does the mani give us over crete/zante/kefalonia etc? anything? or is it ‘same sun different resort’.

we like our lazing around by the pool/sea on the sunbeds, but also pretty walks, authentic tavernas etc.

would we need to hire a car to get the best of the area?

any other considerations/advice?

thanks

captaindanger

Not been anywhere else but really enjoyed mani. You will need a car unless you cycle everywhere, which looked possible when I was there (September). Really good food, some nice beaches and mountains near Kardamyli. South of there gets more country but we’ll worth it for walks and stuff. We did some sea kayaking with explore messenia which I can highly recommend.

creagbhan

Stayed in Stoupa a couple of times many years ago. The main beach has cold springs in the bay so the water is pretty cold. Hired a car for a few days, went to Sparta and Ancient Olyimpia.
    The further south you go on the Mani the more spectacular the scenery gets with real secluded beaches and tower houses. The best olives I ever had were in Stoupa.

sadexpunk

thanks chaps, booked it for september. ill get looking at car hire and whats around the area.
    dont like the idea of a cold sea tho mate, we like it to feel like a warm bath!

cheers

singletrackmind

I have a really good map of the are I bought for a holiday to Messini with Neilson.
    You are welcome to borrow it if you feel it woud be useful

sadexpunk

thank you very much mate, id appreciate that. ill mail you.

Smudger666

Going to finikounda for two weeks in July – got car hire from kalamata so pretty mobile – Any ‘must see’ places in the area?

sadexpunk

The main beach has cold springs in the bay so the water is pretty cold.

didnt like the sound of that so ive looked into it a bit more. looks like these cold springs are at kologria (sp) beach, a 10 min walk from where we’re staying. so is there a nearer sandy beach where the seas lovely and warm?
    ill have to do a bit more googling……

thanks

DrJ

Been lots of times – for a good reason 🙂 We stayed a few times near Kardamili at a place called “Maniatiko Village” – nice chalet accomodation, restaurant, bakery, pool etc. Like everywhere, the main beach can be busy with tourists but 10 minutes walk is enough to get away from the lazy feckers and find some peace and quiet. Driving down the “fingers”of Mani is really spectacular. Ancient Olympia is a day trip. Also a drive across the mountains to the medieval castle at Mythras is well worth it. Sparta sounds like it should be interesting but it’s not really – I guess the Spartan thing meant not building stuff of tourist interest! Githio is a very hot and humid harbour – not very pleasant IMO – keep your adventures to the west of it.

bubs

Is this a package or separates type thing? I am struggling to find reasonable flights anywhere this summer.

DrJ

We flew to Kalamata with a charter company. Arranged accom and car ourselves.

sadexpunk

Is this a package or separates type thing?

wife found us flights + accommodation (georges hotel?) for £310 for 7 days with thomas cook. yeah we’d prefer not to use TC if possible, but ive never been able to find separates cheaper than package.

sadexpunk

well we’re here now and loving it, stoupa is just our type of place….

hired a car for a few days and yesterday went to gialova and voidikilia beach (stunning), stayed over, then back to stoupa today. also went to skoutari for the day. lovely part of greece and want to explore further.

sat in my apartment now after talking to the barman who lives here, and planning next year already 😀

so…. after a few recommendations if anyones got any experiences please.
    someone mentioned finikounda ^^^ how was that? and also fancy elofannisos island just off the south of the peninsula, maybe coupled with a trip to monemvasia on the way, maybe a flight to athens and then a bit of a road trip and ferry, anyone done that at all?

thanks

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘peloponnese/mani holidays’ is closed to new replies.