Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Pele, Maradona or Other, who is the greatest?
  • Whos_Daddy
    Free Member
    Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Pele.

THREAD CLOSED.

organic355
    Free Member

He’s the greatest
    He’s fantastic
    Wherever there’s danger he’ll be there
    He’s the ace
    He’s amazing
    He’s the strongest he’s the quickest he’s the best
    Danger Mouse
    Danger Mouse
    DANGER MOUSE

carbon337
    Free Member

//thread re-opened

Maradona

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I’ll qualify my choice:

Whilst it has oft been said that Maradona could exert more individual influence on a game, and carry a team single handed, to me, Pele’s contribution to football off and on the the pitch has been far greater than Maradona’s. Pele has worked all over the World, to promote the game, whilst Maradona sullied the game with his drug-abuse, cheating and dodgy financial shenanigans. Personally, I think Pele was a better player to watch; elegant, agile and could do the unexpected at the drop of a hat. It’s Pele’s enthusiasm for the game, his passion and joy to be playing football, that wins it.

And ask yourself this; if they were both playing now, who would be the better player? Maradona is a good bit younger, but Pele would run rings round the fat drug-addled cheat.

King-ocelot
    Free Member

Pele. Easy.

roper
    Free Member

If everyone played like Maradona the game would be good but also cheap, hollow and rather nasty.
    If everyone played like Pele the game would have more class, more excitement, more imagination and probably a better organisation.

MSP

Imre Varadi – without whom there would have never been the inflatable banana revolution of the early 90’s.

muggomagic

1, Peter Ward
    2, Bobby Zamora
    3, Mark Lawrenson
    4, Steve Foster
    5, Steve Penny
    6, Dean Saunders
    7, Gary Stevens
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    50, Maradona
    51, Paul Watson
    52, Pele
    53, Paul Brooker
    54, Lionel Messi

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

or

Edric64
    Free Member

Best? talented yes but pissed it all away what a waste

steve-g
    Free Member

Mane Garrincha,

Pele and Maradonna were maybe more influential players but if you like seeing players run with the ball and beat people then Garrincha is your man by a country mile

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Cruyff for me.

Zinedine Kilbane a close second 😀

But between Pele and Maradona, though I’d prefer to say Pele, I have to admit that Maradona was the better of the two.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Zidane, if only for that headbutt.

daveb
    Free Member

Between Pele and maradona – Pele for me

More current would have been Zidane but still think Pele greatest overall

sputnik
    Free Member

Gotta be Rooney, right?
    😉

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Pele = Greatest
    Maradona = Most technically gifted
    Zidane = Contemplative artistic brilliance

dazh

Peter Beardsley.

DezB
    Free Member

Pele – there was a documentary about him on ESPN classic the other week. It was fascinating. He first played for Brazil at 16. And was the star of the team. Amazing.

Talking of pissing it away – that Gascoigne chap was pretty talented at one time.

singletrackhor
    Free Member

king kenny

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Mane Garrincha +1

I think both Pele and Maradona have commended him too.

GlitterGary
    Free Member
    stevomcd
    Free Member

Zidane
    Pele
    Maradona

Henrik Larsson edges it above all of them though… 😉

tails
    Free Member

Zidane, cruyff and best are better than both of them. Zidane for me though as modern day footy is far tougher than that of best and pele’s era.

juan
    Free Member

Pff I can’t even believe we are having this kind of thread…
    Papin… Pa P1 😀

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Jean Pierre Papin?

Be’ave yerself Juan.

FAIL
    Free Member

Jimmy Glass

DezB
    Free Member

Zidane for me though as modern day footy is far tougher than that of best and pele’s era.

So what? Pele could’ve coped and shone just as brightly.

+1 for Maradona.

A bit of a twit off the pitch, but a magician on it. Pele weren’t too shabby either, but Maradona just edges it for me.

LOL@the Imre Varadi reference, a Yorkshire legend (think he played for Sheff U, Sheff W and Leeds in his prime). Don’t forget Alex Sabella, the player Sheff U bought from River Plate after declining the option to buy the young Maradona because he was £10k too expensive (so the story goes – dunno if it is true or not).

muggomagic

Zidane for me though as modern day footy is far tougher than that of best and pele’s era.

we must remember that when Pele, maradona, best, cryuff etc were playing it was perfectly reasonable to kick the living crap out of skilful players. The game is faster these days and the fitness is much better, but the game is a lot less brutal.

AdamW
    Free Member

There’s only one way to find out!

FIIIGGHT!

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Best? talented yes but pissed it all away what a waste

..you’d have to hand it to Maradonna, give him a sniff and he’s on the line.

trailmonkey

Zidane. Had the honour of watching him play in Madrid. Incredible talent.

stanfree
    Free Member

1) Eoin Jess
    2) Hitcham Zeroauli
    3) Hans Hilhaus
    4) Willie Miller
    5) Alex Mcleish

As for between Pele and Maradona , I’d say Maradona Is the greatest .
    El Diego proved himself In Italy and Spain whilst Pele plyed his career In Brazil then had a wee swansong In the very poor NASL.
    Maradona is a flawed genius who hates the establishment and Is never boring to watch even In his managerial career. Pele just promotes “Hard On” Pills.

greyman
    Free Member

Cruyff – ran the game.

All the others mentioned, wonderful entertainers, hard to choose.

Crag
    Free Member

Mel Sterland FTW.

Cletus

+1 Imre Banana

lunge

Maradona, a true genuis with a football.
    Paul McGrath a very close second, anyone who can play as well as he did with 2 knees that didn’t work and a bottle of whisky inside him has earned their place.

binners

Best all round provider of on and off pitch entertainment. No contest. Eric Cantona

Genius player, but also deivered…. the kung fu kicks, the upturned collars, the nonsensical press conferences, the general air of Gallic disdain. What’s not to like

All bow down to the King

HeatherBash
    Free Member

Baxter on account of the bonus points for p1ss taking 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Pele, Maradona or Other, who is the greatest?’ is closed to new replies.