Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Peeling boiled eggs.
  • bearnecessities

Hard boiled eggs & peeling them, cleanly getting membrane off.

HOW?

I thought I had it sorted; I used to shatter in the pan, then peel under running cold water, but lately this method fails me.

Are there any genius methods that work?

Eggsasperated jokes etc equally welcome.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

fresher eggs work best

joeelston
    Free Member

I have noticed that the cheaper supermarket eggs are a nightmare to peel compared to the posh free range ones.

carlosg
    Free Member

Cool them first in a pan of cold water and crack them on the rounder bottom part, there will usually be an air pocket here and the membrane is easier to lift off with the shell.
    Disclaimer: this normally works for me.

crikey
    Free Member

Eh?

Roll in a tissue to break the shell, peel off.

Not a hard thing to achieve, even for STW.

wordnumb
    Free Member

Use Cadbury Creme Eggs, the foil is far easier to unwrap.

mtbfix

I’ve had eggs of late where half the white has come away with the shell. This didnt used to happen.

bearnecessities

They are supermarket eggs, but free range and the box has a picture of a farmer and a chicken on, so I think they’re good quality.

Maybe I should start buying from the farm shop with poop on the shells, to see if any more success.

EDIT:

I’ve had eggs of late where half the white has come away with the shell. This didnt used to happen.

THAT!! It never used to happen?!

bearnecessities

Cool them first in a pan of cold water and crack them on the rounder bottom part, there will usually be an air pocket here and the membrane is easier to lift off with the shell.

That’s basically what I do – cool, shattered, peel from arse where the air pocket is like you say. Always used to work!

joeelston
    Free Member

Maybe free range but could be a lack of vitamins in the food! I bought some from the farm yesterday and peeled in about 5 pieces.

bearnecessities

Eh?

Roll in a tissue to break the shell, peel off.

Not a hard thing to achieve, even for STW.

Explain? Eggsplain?

Scarcat67
    Free Member

Try putting some baking soda in water when boiling them..run under cold water tap and then crack and peel off…

bearnecessities

Try putting some baking soda in water when boiling them..run under cold water tap and then crack and peel off

That’s the type of tip I’m looking for. Is this proven in any way or did you just make it up? 😀

shermer75
    Free Member

We should ask this guy

patriotpro
    Free Member

You clearly need one if those powered egg-peelers..

crikey
    Free Member

Just peel the shell and that membrane off, I can’t explain it any further because there is no more to explain.

It’s not a complex procedure.

bearnecessities

Thanks Ernie, but apart from looking like a bit of a faff, it

“works best with eggs that have been in the fridge for a day or two”

..and my fast-paced lifestyle demands I need my boiled eggs quicker than this.

brakes
    Free Member

use your digestive system to remove the shell.
    :crunch:

bearnecessities

crikey – Member

Just peel the shell and that membrane off, I can’t explain it any further because there is no more to explain.

It’s not a complex procedure

I have an IQ of 27, don’t mock me.

heavyman
    Free Member

Ma Granny said boil for required time – at least 10mins for hard boiled, take off the heat and leave for 2 minutes before pouring out the hot water replacing it with cold, the cold water will heat from the eggs in 3 or 4 minutes, again pour out and replace with cold water, this has always worked for me – easy peeling and no dark coloured yolks. Try it I’m not joking yolking.

bearnecessities

Thanks heavyman; I’ll try that tonight.

joespencer33
    Free Member

Off the heat and run under a tap for 2 mins, then tap, roll and peel

coffeeking
    Free Member

Never understood why people fridge their eggs. Ours live on the top for weeks on end with no issues. Never had a problem peeling them either?!

ajc
    Free Member

I was going to leave a really helpful answer, seeing as I keep chickens and have loads of eggs. But then thought…..is this what what life has come to, answering questions about eggs on a mountain biking website, where did it all go so wrong?

patriotpro
    Free Member

I have an IQ of 27, don’t mock me.

I’d say he’s being fairly mild on you.

bearnecessities

patriotpro – Member

I’d say he’s being fairly mild on you.

Now, now. Don’t get jealous.

Scarcat67
    Free Member

Yup its genuine and it works…

onandon
    Free Member
    patriotpro
    Free Member

But I can peel eggs, all on my own, unassisted and evrifing.

RustySpanner

OP, what colour are your handlebars?

mudshark
    Free Member

fresher eggs work best

fresher eggs work worst.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Isn’t it the case that if you submerge the egg in vinegar for a while the shell dissolves leaving the membrane to peel? I seem to remember seeing this on TV with a raw egg which stayed intact due to the membrane. The vinegar shouldn’t flavour the egg inside the membrane. Can’t remember how long it takes though so might be a tad inconvenient.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

The vinegar shouldn’t flavour the egg inside the membrane.

The one and only time I’ve bought a pickled egg from a chip shop I remember it tasting particularly foul. I like hard boiled eggs so I assume it was the vinegar.

I would try something a tad stronger than vinegar to dissolve the shell btw, battery acid maybe ?

iffoverload
    Free Member

what size are they? I find 650B does everything better!

or use a wet teaspoon under the membrane, ..but be careful you could end up with egg on your face.

aP
    Free Member

Bash, roll, peel bits in a pot, bash, roll bits in a pot.
    Until you’ve spent a summer working an a small central London sandwich bar peeling 10 dozen boiled eggs before you can go home you’ve never lived.
    ** sighs **

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Yeah, but if you put the egg in vinegar with the shell on, the shell is dissolved and the membrane is kept intact and protects the egg inside. When you pickle eggs you peel the eggs normally and remove the membrane.

Like I said, I saw this done on TV with an unboiled raw egg and the membrane was intact with the raw egg inside.

http://www.exploratorium.edu/cooking/eggs/activity-naked.html

Anyway, it seems it takes 24hrs, so not particularly convenient method, but interesting all the same.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Well I’m definitely going to try that !

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Peeling boiled eggs.’ is closed to new replies.