Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • pedelecs – any experience of the sunstar so3 motor kit?
  • tjagain

I am looking at one of these to help with my commute. Looks like the best add on kit as it has proper torque sensing which makes the resulting pedelec much more intuitive to ride. Its ruddy expensive tho
    http://www.sunstaribike.com/e-bike-mid-motor-s03/

bencooper
    Free Member

I’ve got one on this:

Very impressed – powerful, seems reliable.

tjagain

ta

tjagain

Do you sell them Ben?

ton

lazy old man…… 😀

tjagain

Thats me Ton. 6.5 mile uphill thru traffic commute to get to work for 7am for a 12 hour shift of hard work! Most days its OK but add in a headwind a few days in a row and I am knackered!

trail_rat
    Free Member

same question as TJ regarding you selling them ben.

Interesting that you have one on your cargo bike and find it powerful – could be exactly what im looking for- for an xtracycle cargo bike and steep hills to my house. – and its street legal so i wont get shafted should someone decide to have it out with me in their metal coffin.

tjagain

trail rat – all I have read about this kit seems really good. Nice to hear some real world experiences from someone who uses one tho.

ton

have a look at the Bafang bbso2 750w kit. bafang stuff is the best add on kit i think.

tjagain

Ton – its doesn’t have a torque sensor. You have to have engine cutouts on the brakes (tricky with hydro discs) and gearshift cable cutout to shift gears

trail_rat
    Free Member

tricky with hydro discs

Its not though ….. look at em3ev – hydro magnetic cut out adaptors that work well and designed for the bafang kit to use with Hydro brakes.- whats stopping me pulling the trigger on the bafang is the fact its not street legal AND built in controller with little airflow – doesnt like prolonged hills.. the bbs HD is reputably un overheatable but is also rediculously over powered and heavy – as in would do 50+ KPH if you let it ….

Pedelecs forum is informative. Worth asking there – It it can be broken they will have broken it – usually by modding it to get more power – but this does have merit to normal use by exposing its weakness’s !

ton

it has a built in controller so would still work ok, surely?

tjagain

Aye it can be done. trail rat. The beauty of the sunstar is that its so simple. no messing with brakes or gearshift, simple wiring ( speed sensor is the only one needed) and having ridden a few pedelecs torque sensing ones just seem nicer to ride. The bafeng is cadence sensing.

trail_rat
    Free Member

“it has a built in controller so would still work ok, surely?”

Until the controller goes up in smoke. – which they often do on heavy loaded bikes by all accounts.

what ill be fitting it too…

bencooper
    Free Member

I’m not stocking them at the moment, this was one to test out to see if it would work on the 8-Freight – but can’t see any reason why I couldn’t get more of them.

tjagain

Sent you an email ben.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘pedelecs – any experience of the sunstar so3 motor kit?’ is closed to new replies.