• This topic has 17 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by mboy.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Pedals – XT vs XTR
  • richmtb

CRC have the XTR trail pedals for £85.

Does anyone have a considered opinion on whether they are worth the extra £30 over the XT trail pedals

Ta

Rich

Onzadog
    Free Member

No, they’re not but I paid it anyway, on both sets.

XTR also comes with a random quick release feature on some pedals as well.

Klunk
    Free Member

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    oldnpastit

Are the XTR ones the ones that you can only remove with an allen key because there’s no flat for a pedal spanner?

So, when you try to remove them after they’ve been on for ages, you end up having to file down a flat on them and then toss them away?

bigyinn
    Free Member

Like M540s, XT and XTR then?
    Never had any issues (apart from turning them the wrong way once when trying to undo them).

beaker2135

No, they’re not but I paid it anyway, on both sets.

Me too, they shed mud better and the amount of walking I do…

robgclarkson
    Free Member

get the XTR ones but seach for a CRC £10 off code 😉

shredder
    Free Member

XTR trails fail I’m on my third set all under warranty, lots of other people in the same situation.
    XT’s seam to be lasting a bit better.

scruff
    Free Member

3rd set of new XTRs for me thanks to my LBS being wonderful and Shimanos much needed warranty. Get XT.

richmtb

Surprised by the XTR failures, the old pedals were bullet proof

maxtorque

MAke sure you copperslip or otherwise coat the threads before installation in your cranks, never had a problem removing them, even after a couple of years.

I wonder if they have fixed the snapping issue yet? Should be a fairly easy fix, and they must have known about it for over a year now, so good chance they are fixed?

(i’ve had a set fail about 8 mnths ago, replaced under warranty very quickly with no hassles whatso ever (and lucky enough it snapped only 10m away from my car after a ride 😉

snakebite
    Free Member

5 sets for me, one went at the far point of the Marin trail at minus 5 in sleety snow. ace walk back. All replaced but swapped to XT’s an so far OK.

njee20
    Free Member

Get something reliable like Egg Beaters 😉

It’s a real shame they’ve gone this way, the USP of Shimano pedals was that they just lasted forever!

These days I’d get XTs!

brakes
    Free Member

buy the XTs.
    when (not if) the XTRs fail they will be replaced on warranty, but you don’t know where you’re going to be when they fail.

mate of mine has had two sets fail in exactly the same way, the second time was just last Sunday with pedals a few months old. the previous time they were less than a month old.

shocking, and not what you’d expect from Shimano.

mboy
    Free Member

XT’s can be had for £45 from a few places, they’re only a few grammes heavier than XTR, they look very similar, they seem to last better and be more reliable…

Absolute no brainer IMO!

If you’re worried about VFM, but the M530’s. Only about 50g heavier than XT’s for a pair, but you can find em for about £18 online for a pair! RRP on the cleats is £15.99 alone…

curiousyellow
    Free Member

Don’t know about XTR, but I swapped to XT from the M530s and they were a great upgrade.

oxym0r0n

Are the XTR ones the ones that you can only remove with an allen key because there’s no flat for a pedal spanner?

So, when you try to remove them after they’ve been on for ages, you end up having to file down a flat on them and then toss them away?

MAke sure you copperslip or otherwise coat the threads before installation in your cranks, never had a problem removing them, even after a couple of years.

This – just serviced a set of Xts and M530s and they were easy to get off (bit of pipe lagging on the allen key helps protect things if it “jumps”)

mboy
    Free Member

XT Trail Pedals DO NOT have flats on to do them up with a 15mm spanner… They are 8mm allen key only, just like the XTR’s…

To clear up any confusion posted above by people in this thread…

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Pedals – XT vs XTR’ is closed to new replies.

New deal added to Members Discounts