Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Pedals with a strap for child with disabilities
  • PaulGillespie
    Free Member

My two year old niece has just got her first bike. When she was still in the womb, she suffered a stroke and as a result has cerebral palsy. This means she has limited dexterity\control over her left arm and leg.

She’s getting on grand with her bike but would benefit with some kind of pedal with a strap (too young for SPDs :D) to help keep her left food on the pedal.

Any one seen anything that would fit the bill?

Thanks
    Paul.

meehaja
    Free Member

maybe a bit fixie/hipster/expensive for needs, but I’d have thought something like restrap might suit?

wwaswas

These are quite good – wide strap and velcro.

http://bricklanebikes.co.uk/posts/404

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Perhaps the old skool solution?

If not, as above, one of the trendy fixieasshat straps would be a good choice.

Another to consider might be a half-clip, like this;

Would keep the foot in the right place, some help to stop it bouncing off, but less of the “strapped in” feeling of the above.

Good luck!

sssimon
    Free Member

have a look on mission cycles at the pedals they do, were a popular choice when I was supplying trikes to schools and charity groups. We used a lot of the foot sandals and more so the self levelling pedals as they were easier for a child to find if they have reduced mobility or sensation

http://www.missioncycles.co.uk/special-adaptations-c-31.html

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

Thanks guys, great replies. I’ll check these out! 😀

theotherjonv

slightly off the wall suggestion, but a guy turned up for a ride having forgotten his spds one day. He ducktaped his crocs to the pedals and ‘managed’ Might that provide a very easy to access solution, to see if being fixed to a pedal works?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Pedals with a strap for child with disabilities’ is closed to new replies.