• This topic has 25 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by Del.
Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Pedals – Look and Time
  • mcboo
    Free Member

Have used SPDs for years but have a set of XTR now that dont like clay mud so looking for an alternative for the winter months at least.

I tried Eggbeaters a few years ago but didnt like the amount of float on the cleat. I know some people like the fact that their foot moves around and doesnt detach from the pedal but I’d much rather tighten the pedal right up and have a definate click on the way out.

With that in mind, are either of Time Atac or Look Quartz adjustable so I can fix the cleat angle and tighten them right up? I think both of them are well liked for mud clearance right?

timwillows
    Free Member

Been using Time for years, work really well

mcboo
    Free Member

But can you adjust them to suit the amount of float you like before they release?

jim
    Free Member

The adjustment on Times doesn’t really affect the amount of float, rather the tension in the bars (and ease of release).

If you’ve been happy with previous SPDs why not carry on using those?

mcboo
    Free Member

SPDs are fine but had a lot of trouble with staying engaged when its muddy, less in love with them than I was.

Re Time – I think I know what you mean, my pals ride some and dont think you can adjust for float, certainly not on the ones they have but they thought some of the higher end ones were adjustable.

What I’m after is almost a road pedal stiffness, I dont get knee pain (yet) so like that fixed position on the foot……

alaric

Time allow you to change the release angle by having assymetric cleats – cleat “a” on the left & “b” on the right gives you one release angle, “a” to the right & “b” to the left the other.

The screw adjustment alters retention force.

Janesy
    Free Member

I’ve gone Time Atac xs on the MTB and look keo’s on the road. I’m happy with them compared to spuds.

ormondroyd
    Free Member

I’ve used ATACs for a decade in horrific Chiltern mud. They’re superb in it

njee20
    Free Member

I had some of the early Quartz pedals and they were the worst product I’ve ever used. Became downright dangerous in mud, as they rely on a constant distance between pedal and shoe tread to work. Once that changes you’re screwed. Likewise when your tread wares. Horrendous.

The new Look pedals look good, forget their name, but I can’t say I’ll be rushing to try them again!

Suggsey
    Free Member

I have switched to Time atacs from SPD’s. The higher end ones have retention adjustment screws. I have the cheaper basic ones and the release is similar to a tight tensioned SPD, certainly no danger of pulling up out of the pedal!
    As for adjustment the cleats are the only adjustment for angle of release. tried it both ways (bearing in mind I switched due to dodgy knee) and the 17 degree release nealry twisted my knee out of joint!
    As for ease of clip in they are a tiny bit more vague than SPD and take a bit more of a forceful press down. In mud they have been much easier than a gummed up SPD cleat/pedal, so no more trying to bang out your cleat/pedal as you set off-should be the same with snow/ice too.
    Overall I prefer them-no more sore knees or ankles.

mcboo
    Free Member

Looks new range S-Track, up on this stuff as always njee.

http://singletrack.competitor.com/2012/08/bikes-tech/look-leaves-quartz-behind-with-s-track-mountain-pedals_34741

Very pretty but given the comments on shims and setup an unproven Look pedal prob not for me.

mcboo
    Free Member

And I’m assuming these arent the solution I’m looking for…..? Pretty though, and light……but guessing the wont be any better in the mud than SPDs.

tonyd

I use Time ATACs, have done since I switched from SPDs about 7 years ago, never had any issues engaging in the thickest of mud. As above, the only float adjustment I’m aware of is swapping the cleats around.

jonnyrockymountain

Time xroc s fantastic
    10 times better than Shimano spd

RoterStern
    Free Member

I’ve also been using Time pedals for well over 12 years now. But if the OP didn’t like the feel of the egg beaters I don’t think the Time pedals are what you are looking for as they feel pretty similar. The squirming feel is something you get used after the first couple of rides IMO. One thing I will say is that the newer ATAC pedals are not a patch on the old ones for longevity.

ratherbeintobago

But if the OP didn’t like the feel of the egg beaters I don’t think the Time pedals are what you are looking for as they feel pretty similar.

Not sure I agree; went from eggbeaters to ATACs. Once in they’re not much different, but the ATACs have a much more positive engagement (a nice ‘clunk’ clipping in) and they don’t self destruct (though CB pedals are meant to be better now).

Andy

mtbmatt
    Free Member

I had some of the early Quartz pedals and they were the worst product I’ve ever used. Became downright dangerous in mud, as they rely on a constant distance between pedal and shoe tread to work. Once that changes you’re screwed. Likewise when your tread wares. Horrendous.

The new Look pedals look good, forget their name, but I can’t say I’ll be rushing to try them again!

I’ve been using Look pedals all year and find them fine.
    Cleat setup can be a little drawn out and can change, but the action really nice, nicer than Shimano and less floaty than eggbeaters.
    Looking forward to trying the new pedals though.

I don’t think there is a perfect pedal system out there to be honest.

ratherbeintobago

I don’t think there is a perfect pedal system out there to be honest.

I fancy a go on the new Speedplay ones, assuming that a) they ever make it to market, and b) they’re not bankruptingly expensive.

Andy

mcboo
    Free Member

I might wait a bit and try the new Look S-track, anyone in the trade here know when they will appear? I’ve has some bog standard Look Keo on the road bike for over three years, my first and only road pedals. Change of cleats once a year and they just go on and on.

jim
    Free Member

One thing I will say is that the newer ATAC pedals are not a patch on the old ones for longevity.

The Roc versions seem better from this point of view and are lasting well for me. I half wore away the bars of a non-Roc set in a couple of years so I’d agree with you there.

mcboo
    Free Member

Whats Roc v non-Roc please?

jim
    Free Member

Roc: http://www.time-sport.com/pedales/time-atac_15_m22.aspx
    Non-Roc: http://www.time-sport.com/pedales/time-atac_15_m21.aspx

The metal plates on the Roc seem to prevent the body wearing. Once the body is worn the bars gets more pressure and start to wear.

mmannerr

I might wait a bit and try the new Look S-track, anyone in the trade here know when they will appear?

In November, according to some news. The price is interesting, cheapest model is only about £59 (MSRP) so I’m definitely getting a test pair for winter.

ratherbeintobago

The price is interesting, cheapest model is only about £59

That is interesting; unlike my ATACs there’s apparently cleat-to-pedal contact, so hopefully this means not wearing grooves in shoe soles and wearing the retention bars out. Depends if there’s the previous need for shimming to get the cleat height right though.

timnwild

I use Time z freeride pedals and I love them – they’ve never failed to connect in even the thickest mud, and clean up pretty well too, as well as being bomb-proof.

I like the cleat release pretty loose, so I can’t speak to how much you can tighten them.

Thanks

Del

use z-freerides, roc atac and aliums.
    the freerides and the aliums are the ones. the roc atacs i find more vague ( more float ) and i’ve knocked one or two of those little metal plates off one pair.
    aliums are the cheapest of the lot too.
    as commented above, more positive action than eggbeaters, and ( 1 can only hope to god! ), greater lifespan.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Pedals – Look and Time’ is closed to new replies.