Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Pedals – I'm guessing XT
  • onandon
    Free Member

Looking to move to clip less pedals on the gravel bike.
    I want reliability and low weight – not botherd too much about cost up to around £150.

So I’m guess XT are still the go to pedal?
    If not Xt then what would be an alternative ?

jam-bo

XTR?

onandon
    Free Member

Not sure if they resolved the issues with the M9000s that’s the older ones had.

scruffywelder
    Free Member

Have you considered Time MTB pedals?

You’d be getting a carbon/titanium pedal for around about the £150 mark I think.

I don’t know how they compare to Shimano pedals for reliability/longevity (a friend has had a set for about a year on his main bike – not really long enough to say in my book) but they are nice to use and look pretty good too.

He switched to them due to knee problems with Shimano ones.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

My CB candies could do with a grease 3 years in. Like them a lot.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Time XC8

onandon
    Free Member

Time cx8s are high up on my list. I like the idea of the float but having never used them, this may be a negative.
    Guess I’ll need to buy a pair and work it our for myself.

chum3
    Free Member

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike-parts/pedals-pegs/boardman-mtb-pro-pedal

285g @ £20

I have a pair, and really can’t see why you’d spend more.

matt_outandabout

I use the cheapest M520(?) pedal – they last a couple of years, and are usually £25 or less…for only a few grammes more.

bluebird
    Free Member
    lovewookie

Moved from XTR to M540’s (can be had for under £30), essentially the same m959 pedal without the shiny axle or the coated retention mechanism.

about 10g heavier than current XT and 40g heavier than XTR.

M520’s are OK, heavy by comparison, but have reliable bearings and are normally under £20.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

really can’t see why you’d spend more.

How about because you want, and can afford, something significantly better?

mafiafish
    Free Member

significantly better

Perhaps an incy bit hyperbolic when it comes to pedals. For double or triple the price you’re saving a modest amount of weight for slightly better bearings and bling. I’ve had a pair of Deores last me 4 years – great value!

lovewookie

I have a pair, and really can’t see why you’d spend more.

Though the boradman pedal is nice and great value, had a play in the local halfords with one, personally I’m wary of pedals which are servicable by a nut/bolt/cap at the end of the axle. it’s the area that gets scuffed easily over time and can be quite difficult to get open. much prefer the shimano approach.
    Also, they do resemble Xpedo pedals which are not known for their bearing reliability, so in the absence of details about the bearings that would put me off too.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

king to move to clip less pedals on the gravel bike.
    I want reliability and low weight – not botherd too much about cost up to around £150

There’s no need to spend anything close to that. £150 should get pedals AND shoes

There’s nothing significantly better than Shimano M540 pedals. They have all the features of the higher end models and are about 15g heavier. It’s worth getting them over M520 though as they have the coated bindings and metal rather than plastic collars on the axles, making them a doddle to service. I’ve got a pair I’ve had so long I can’t remember and also some XTs I was given. There is no difference in use between either of them.
    Sure , you can spend more if you want to, but this is one of those cases where it’s almost absolutely pointless to do so. 🙂

munrobiker
    Free Member

I’ve had M959 (XTRs) last about 7 years and M520s last about 7 years. They feel the same. I got the 520s because they were a quarter of the price of the bearing kits for the 959s. I’d struggle to see past M540 level really.

onandon
    Free Member

Didn’t say I had to spend all the money, but I have it if something was WAY better, WAY lighter and WAY more reliable than the usual XT/ M40s.

As for shoes 🙂 I soooooo want the Giro VR90 Camo

PrinceJohn
    Free Member

Love time pedals, but one pair of shoes and 4 bikes means I run shimano pedals. They just don’t die

therevokid
    Free Member

+1 M540’s ….

poah
    Free Member

Time ATAC pedals, have had two pairs in 22 years and the old pair (21 years) are on my hard tail.

adsh
    Free Member

XT for me. I’ve tried XTR – dangerous crap and Ritchey which are light but have some nasty edges such that every one in a hundred unclips doesn’t.

igm

Time – for people who like riding not maintaining, and like a floaty reliable attachment system, and like to buy one per of pedals per bike (actually some of my Time pedals have outlasted several bikes).

I did bend an axle in a crash once – but the pedal was still useable.

Modern Shimano ain’t too bad either, but I have dodgy knees and prefer Time.

Crank Bros – tried them for a bit and ended up putting the Times back on – that’ll teach me to spend money on new fangled nonsense. Perfect pedal for “leavers” at one time, as the body used to leave the axle. I think that is sorted now.

joolsburger
    Free Member

+ 1 for 540’s no point spending more, i’d rather buy something else.

cp

Hard to see past M540 for me… used and abused a couple of sets for years, keep on trucking. A couple of worthy (IMO) ‘upgrades’ over 520 for me – better finished, a good chunk lighter, and has the metal locking collar.

chum3
    Free Member

Perhaps an incy bit hyperbolic when it comes to pedals. For double or triple the price you’re saving a modest amount of weight for slightly better bearings and bling.

This…

Also, they do resemble Xpedo pedals which are not known for their bearing reliability, so in the absence of details about the bearings that would put me off too.

Erm… They’re £20 and have a 2 year guarantee, and come from a store with nationwide coverage. Not exactly high risk, nor high hassle…

But hey! I’m going to dictate how one should spend their own £££’s…

pitduck
    Free Member

time,still using a pair from 2000,every day

pitduck
    Free Member

time,still using a pair from 2000,every day

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

M540 +2 , halfords have a £5 of £30 till the end of July, so £26 to pickup

lovewookie

Erm… They’re £20 and have a 2 year guarantee, and come from a store with nationwide coverage. Not exactly high risk, nor high hassle…

maybe, but it doesn’t help if you’re halfway out on a ton ride and one of the pedals decides to part from the axle.

rascal
    Free Member

Shimano 540 – bombproof, last forever and will get £122 change…why pay more?

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-pd-m540-pedals/

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Pedals – I'm guessing XT’ is closed to new replies.