Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Pedals for gravel and road (SPD)
  • mattjevans
    Free Member

Am looking to buy some decent pedals to use with both road and MTB shoes on my Trek Boone that I use on and (light) offroad. Choices narrowed down to Crank Bros Candy, Shimano XTR 9000 or Look S-Track. Any thoughts on which most suitable for use with (Sidi) road shoes (the shoes as it happens are SPD compatible so thats not a consideration).

Currently using Speedplays from a previous road-only bike

brooess
    Free Member

I use XT SPDs on my commuter – very reliable, and easy click in and out

Mackem

I got a pair if these about 3 years ago as a stop-gap. Still working and work so well that I didnt bother looking at any others.
    19 euros!
    http://www.rosebikes.com/article/shimano-spd-pd-m520-pedals/aid:38003

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    alanf
    Free Member

Shimano PD-M540 and plenty of change in your pocket over XTR

Sundayjumper

If it’s more road-biased I’d be tempted to go with road-biased SPDs:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-pd-a520-touring-pedals/

D0NK

If it’s more road-biased I’d be tempted to go with road-biased SPDs:

Hmm I’ve got some A515s on my road bike (I’m not fannying around getting road and mtb versions of shoes so just use mtb spds all round) On a road ride where you clip in at your front door and unclip several hours later back at your front door yep they’re just the ticket but if you’re in and out of them I’d go for 2 sided and for a cross/gravel bikes I’d def go 2 sided.

Dunno those A520s may be better weighted to keep the mechanism top side, so you can clip in easier but the 515s are a faff, flip pedal around with your foot try to clip in, flip clip, flip clip, flip *clunk* there we go. They would be more appealing if the other side was flat compatible for nipping to the shops, but they don’t look to be – negligible weight saving too.

IMO m520s, the 540s are a teensy bit lighter and possibly last a little longer for a fair bit more money (comparatively). I reckon XT and XTR are vastly diminishing returns on your money.

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

I use Crank Bros Candys on my mtb’s,so I use the same on my crosser.The Shimano pedals I use on my road bike clog up to easily in the mud.

mattjevans
    Free Member

Should have said I definitely want 2 sided pedals

thanks for thoughts, the one I really am most nervous about as working well with road shoes is the Candy’s – that said, they are relatively cheap

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

On my grrravel bike, I run Time XC8 pedals. Spanky light, lovely float, and still with the same bombproof Time reliability. Using S-Works XC shoes, and very pleased so far.

Reviewed here – http://www.gravelbike.com/?p=2708

No idea why Time aren’t on your list! 😀

iwmunt
    Free Member

I can confirm the A520 are not balanced, PITA!

mattjevans
    Free Member

Actually I don’t know why I didnt think of them before but Speedplay Frogs are probably my best option

iainc

+1 for Time ATAC, although the cheaper XC 6 ones in my case 🙂

scotroutes

Candys on everything. However, they don’t fit to a 3-hole “road” shoe. This is a problem with most MTB-style pedals.

dragon
    Free Member

Another person here who uses Time ATAC on cyclocross and mtb.

collostomy
    Free Member

Time ATAC user here. Bombproof, light, loads of float and no issues with mud. Use em on my road bike and MTB with Spesh S-Works MTB shoes. Can’t fault em!

prawny

No reason to spend more than a pair of m520s

cookeaa

Shimano do the job, they’ll flog you pedals for anything between £20 and £100 which Fundamentally all work the same and are durable so really it’s down to your personal bling preference as to how much you spend… M520 will be adequate for 90% of people… All IMO of course.

dragon
    Free Member

my experience of SPDs is they work to a point, but clog easily in mud / snow etc and aren’t the most stable, you can feel your foot rock on them.

traildog
    Free Member

Left of field choice: Speedplay Syzr? Apparently they do actually exist. Not a clue if they work or not yet.

Otherwise Time ATACs are my fav.

Just seen you mentioned frogs. I have some for sale (I think, I need to find them in the shed and their check condition) if you are interested let me know.

brassneck

Dunno those A520s may be better weighted to keep the mechanism top side, so you can clip in easier

They aren’t. OP, if you want to try A520 them PM and I’ll take them off my tripster for 50% of the cheapest price you can find new.

I wouldn’t though, just get XT/XTR SPDs. They continual present the wrong side, and aren’t any good with flat shoes, even for a burn to the pub and back. The plastic caged normal SPDs are better all rounders.

I’ve been using the same XTR pedals on my main mtb for about 15 years, so you get value from them.

justaute
    Free Member

— FWIW, I’ve been using the Look S-track pedals and really like them. I use them on my CX/gravel bike for both CX and road-training.

— Speedplay Syzr, which was just released, appears to be a very good option.

What I like about the S-track and the new Syzr is that the cleat/pedal contact area is direct and quite large. There is no contact between the lugs of my CX/mtb shoes and the pedals.

STATO
    Free Member

I wonder how many of the posters above have used their suggested pedals with the brands 2 bolt road cleat?

Not sure how much difference it will make as ive not used 2 bolt road cleats either, but it might be good idea to get experience of someone who has rather than everyone above who are suggesting pedals based on experience with MTB shoes.

I can imagine walking around on just a shimano cleat would be horrificly painful and difficult, so youd want some sort of supporting tread like welgo or crank brothers road cleats have.

thekettle
    Free Member

Time Atacs here too, been using a pair on and offroad, with zero maintenance since 2007 (outlived 4 bikes, 3 sets of cleats and 4 pairs of shoes). I think their design is licenced to Mavic these days.

firestarter
    Free Member

Pd-m540 nothing more needed

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Pedals for gravel and road (SPD)’ is closed to new replies.