• This topic has 19 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by Bez.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Pedals for commuting
  • SaxonRider

I have flat pedals on my commuter, and find that, almost no matter which shoes I wear when I ride, my feet will slip when it’s wet outside.

I don’t want to attach clips or anything to the pedals. Any suggestions as to what I should replace them with? Is there a good pedal out there that will happily interact with a foot clad in anything from a leather-soled brogue to a canvas trainer, and save me the pain and embarrassment of slipping off as I push through a busy junction?

thecaptain
    Free Member

In true STW spirit of ignoring the OP I’ll suggest you get pedals with a cleat one side and flat the other, at least that gives you the option of proper cycling shoes and a firm engagement when you feel like it. You might get used to it…

But also, the old metal rat-traps usually have a pretty decent grip, though I wouldn’t expect much to hold on a smooth leather sole.

njee20
    Free Member

The trouble is that an aggressive flat will munch your shoes. Plenty of options if you’re happy with that though…

TiRed

I don’t want to attach clips or anything to the pedals

I’m afraid that what sir requires are a set of toeclips. That or some Shimano M324 combination spds that are flat on one side. What exactly is you objection to toeclips?

chakaping
    Free Member

Get toeclips if you’re averse to SPDs.

If you refuse all sensible solutions, I can only suggest this…

idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

PowerGrips?

I use the Wellgo V8 copies, but I don’t wear smooth-soled brogues, so…

jonba
    Free Member

Few people making those straps. They were “in” with the fixie brigade at one point.

Anything that has good grip will eat shoes. My suggestions that might work would be bear trap style touring pedals or cyclespeedway pedals that use grip tape.

philwarren11
    Free Member

Ive been running road cleats on my commute and I cant stand it, its great when theres no traffic but clipping in and out is a pain. Cant get the power down quick enough for traffic lights etc.. like i can with flats.

I’m no quicker with them either so i’m going back to my superstar nanos and either my shimano AM’s or 510 Freerider elememts.

If your slipping and dont wants clips of any sort then get better pedals/shoes imo.

MrAgreeable

MKS Lambda pedals are really good. Nice wide platform and a very grippy inverted pattern that won’t trash your soles. The built-in reflectors are a bonus.

sbob
    Free Member

My friend has the powergrip style straps on his hipster-mobile.
    They don’t work well with soft soled shoes (trainers) as his pinned flats will grip the soles making it hard to twist your foot straight.

I use the nasty resin pedals and toe clips that came with my cheapo Halfords road bike. They work with any shoe.

Embrace the toe clips!
    Been over twenty years since I last used clips and straps, get on fine.

nwmlarge
    Free Member

how about getting some flat pedals and then apply some skate board grip tape.

I commute in 5Tens to stop this issue

nedrapier

Seems strange it’s not been mentioned already, but with good foot placement and pedaling technique, you shouldn’t need a massive amount of grip.

Maybe go on a skills course?

benp1

Yep, it’s either toe clips/straps or SPD/Flat combo pedals (I have one of each type of the Shimano versions of these on two different bikes. They’re great)

vincienup
    Free Member

Just go SPD. I run m530 mountain pedals and associated cleats. I hadn’t realised how worn the cleats were until I put spds on a mtb with another pair of shoes and spent a humorous day looping out and falling over as I wasn’t clipping out quickly enough which is never a problem on my commute regardless of traffic and other obstacles. I normally run flats on mtb but as I ride spds most days and have for years I’d not expected a problem.

Back off the tension screws if you’re not used to spds.

nickjb
    Free Member

What pedals and shoes are you using. I just use cheap aluminium cast flat pedals and various casual shoes. Can’t recall ever slipping off.

nedrapier

?

honourablegeorge

These? LINKY

SaxonRider

MKS Lambda pedals are really good. Nice wide platform and a very grippy inverted pattern that won’t trash your soles. The built-in reflectors are a bonus.

That’s the sort of thing I’m talking about. Or maybe toe clips in light of what some of you have said above.

I use SPDs on my road bike, but switched back to flats on my MTB, and wouldn’t consider SPDs for my commuter. I use it for everything about town, and need to be able to get on and off without having to change shoes.

And thanks, nedrapier, for the skills course suggestion. I fancy my pedaling technique works just fine. All the ‘good placement and pedaling technique’ in the world won’t make up for the wet-induced equivalent of an icy surface.

Bez

Ah, Mr Agreeable beat me to it. I use the Lambdas. Pretty grippy without eating soles, although you’ll still want a rubbery sole: a leather brogue’s going to need straps, or possibly rubber pedals. An important bonus with the Lambdas is that the lack of pins and corners means they don’t take chunks out of your leg (or anyone else’s) when you lift the bike to carry it up steps.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Pedals for commuting’ is closed to new replies.