Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • pedals for bad knees
  • vacant80
    Free Member

Been looking for a new set of pedals to replace my spds as I’ve been recommended by a physio in response to knee pain I’m having.

Time atac pedals sound promising but every review ive found states how fragile they are and that the adjustment pin is prone to falling out.

Are egg beaters comparable in terms of float and reducing stress on the knee?

Or can anyone recommend any alternatives?

Really not keen on using flats.

iainc

I have used Time Atac’s for years and never broken one or found them fragile. Currently have Roc Atac’s on 2 bikes and they work with my dodgy knees

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Great float on the CB pedals. Newer versions are much better in terms of reliability and servicing is easy.

HindlePie
    Free Member

I’ve used Time Atac’s for a number of years after developing sore knees on spd’s and never found them to be fragile in any way. They helped cure my sore knees but I guess every case is different.

vacant80
    Free Member

In fairness it seems to be the newer xc range that is made of cheese, everything i have read about the older atac pedals has been very positive.

warpcow
    Free Member

Time Aliums use the older, heavier, survive-a-nuclear-blast design, and are much nicer for my knees than Shimano.

Clobber
    Free Member

Run Time on all my bikes, never had a problem, +1 to the above but add that they have much better engagement in the mud than shimano

robinlaidlaw
    Free Member

Another +1 for Times as the indestructible answer to your problem.

nemesis
    Free Member

What has your physio actually recommended – I just ask because some people with dodgy knees can make it worse by using pedals with more float as it allows the knee to twist more.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Have you had a proper bike fit? Incorrect seat height, seat position and also cleat angle, float etc can affect your knees

Goldigger
    Free Member

I have time atac carbons.. Never managed to break them.
    Don’t cause me any knee pain, and I suffer from bad knees.

Haven’t used them in a while as the bearings need replacing as they have a noticeable amount of play.
    Noticeable when pedaling.

Couldn’t find a reasonable price for the bearings.

vacant80
    Free Member

Physio recommended allowing more freedom at the foot because of how my right leg rotating laterally and causing my knee pain.

Bike fit is next on my agenda.
    Must start a topic on that also as im looking at retul but not sure if it’s a gimmick or really worth the money.

dragon
    Free Member

Time are great, have them on both my mtb and commuter/cross bikes.

Not sure what reviews you were looking at that said they were fragile? IME they are pretty tough pedals on a par with Shimano, but with better float and mud clearing ability.

m360
    Free Member

I think your physio is not a bike fit expert. There are lots of other options, pedal extenders for example. It would be worth researching it more, and booking in for a bike fit, may save you money in the long run.

fuzzhead
    Free Member

I know you said you’re not keen on flats, but my knees used to give me loads of grief until I switched to exclusive use of flats.

sok

I used ATACs, had them for years. Never broken one and easy to service bearings. They’re made by Mavic now rather than Time but still the same design.

tonyd

I have Time Roc Atacs on MTB and commuter, I’ve been using the ones on my MTB for probably 8 years now and have done absolutely nothing to them maintenance wise. For that reason I bought a second set from the classifieds when I built up my current commuter (switched from road pedals so I can use MTB winter boots).

They’ve plenty of float in them. My knees aren’t great but never any problems with these, and as above they’re a lot better in the mud (based on the last set of SPDs I used over 8 years ago).

rickmeister

+1 for Time Atak… fitted to all our bikes for years.

Only bad pedal failure was with Egg Beaters. Still have the axle / leg interface scars to prove it.

Goldigger, check the endcap is tight, it controls the side to side play on the axle…

vacant80
    Free Member

Anyone using the newest xc 8’s??

If you google it most current user reviews are quite scathing because of breakages.

Interesting how many people recommend then on here though!

Might take a chance on them.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Might help doing some core and hip strengthening… Might help to strengthen the muscles which are responsible for tracking. Helped my wandering knees track straighter

vacant80
    Free Member

Can you recommend any exercises?
    I am doing stretches to relax my itb and hip flexors but could do with strengthening all my other muscles rather than the quads

nemesis
    Free Member

Go to a good physio if you haven’t already been given some exercised – you really need personalised information to suit whatever problems/weaknesses you have.

tonyd

I’m not a physio but have had ACL reconstruction and resulting physio from that. If you want to strengthen muscles that support the knee then a wobble board is a good option, as is the grapevine exercise IIRC (google it).

andymac78
    Free Member

Absolutely do some core work, it’s done wonders for my knees. Work pretty intensely on your gluts as they play a key role in the correct tracking and knee function as well as stretching of hamstrings, gluts, ITB and quads.

I use flats exclusively now and found that helped but one of the biggest helps was getting my pedaling technique sorted, might be worth looking into as my bad habits were putting excessive stress on my knees.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I skipped spds after seeeing people complain of knee problems and then switching to Times and being OK.

I had Atacs but then I switched to Look 4x4s, which are like eggbeaters but they always had two sets of bearings, like the current crank eggbeaters.

They float really well, but I found it best to ensure I peddle with a ruler straight back, titling from the pelvis, and just pumping the thighs up and down, with the lower legs just following, rather than pushing down through the knees. I found that puts loads less stress on the knees whilst improving efficiency.

You could maybe do also with going to a good podiatrist in case you could do with your shoes having footed to cant your legs so they run ‘straight’ like skiing.

jambalaya
    Free Member

I know you said you’re not keen on flats, but my knees used to give me loads of grief until I switched to exclusive use of flats.

@fuzzhead
    + 1. I’ve got bad knees (ACL and other damage) and I am convinced I am better off with flats. Also avoids the twisting to unclip which is particularly bad for my knees.

Excersizes: +1 for wobble board and also the small trampolines are good (jogging on spot, stopping and then balance on one leg, hoping rotations). Having broken ACL in my second knee (now have matching pair) it has been interesting to see how many dynamic exercises people do now, all the small movements and “wobbling” are very important

AlexSimon

I love my Crank Brothers Egg Beater 2 pedals, but I’m also aware that other people consider them to be made of cheese. I’ve also witnessed lots of failures on other people’s bikes.
    I’ve had one pair for 10 years with one rebuild kit.
    ymmmv

I used to have horrible knee pains on SPDs though. Definitely worth trying.

Macavity
    Free Member
    robland
    Free Member

I would recommend switching to a good set of flats as i had bad knees from using spds. Also i have tried many different brands of spds so the physio told me to try some stretching exercises. Still didn’t make any difference so i got a good set of flats now i have no pain at all.

woolymonster
    Free Member

Speedplay pedals are pretty good and worth considering for use when you have bad knees…they look a bit weird, but work a treat.

ajt123
    Free Member

+1 for flat pedals.

DMR vaults are goof because:.

1. The big platformblets you find your speet spot.

2. They are the best flat pedals.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘pedals for bad knees’ is closed to new replies.