Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Pedals for a road bike
  • Pigface
    Free Member

I just got a Specialized Allez as my first road bike, it is really comfortable but I have a problem.

I broke my femur really badly when I was 17 so a long time ago, due to my leg not being straight I cant use clip in pedals, I could put some flats on but are there road specific flat pedals I can have a look at? I could use a cage it it was big and deep?

taxi25
    Free Member
    Pigface
    Free Member

Ah so there are such things, cheers taxi25

hora
    Free Member

How about a pedal(s) with toe straps? They sorted roadcyclists out for decades before clips came in.

edhornby
    Pigface
    Free Member

Hora my foot kind of rotates on the pedal so unless the strap is loose then it really messes my knee up. Its ok on a MTB but not so great on the road bike.

traildog
    Free Member

Just use some good mountain bike flats. I think road flats are generally used with a cage.

Are you sure you couldn’t use something like speedplay pedals? 15 degrees of free float feels very different on the knees than a shimano spd.

soma_rich
    Free Member

I’ve always thought these look good.
    Cannondale 6 Point 3 Pedals 6point3

Pigface
    Free Member

Chhers Traildog, no the angle of my leg is a bit extreme. If you imagine being on a snowboard in a duck stance my right leg is between 25 and 30 degrees. It is only the road bike I have ever really had trouble with.

hammyuk
    Free Member

Thats not that bad……
    My solution was to just nip the screws and get on the turbo for a bit.
    Then have a helper tighten the screws up from underneath before unclipping – worked well as the cleat is where it needs to be in the rotation.
    Thats on SPD-SL with 6* so 15* should be plenty

traildog
    Free Member

I guess it depends on what angle you mean. But you can also angle the cleats with spacers. I have seen some very gammy legs using them.

However, I think flat pedals are very good and I don’t feel you’d lose that much power using them on a mountain bike. So if you are happy then stick with them and ignore what the fashion police think.

I hate toe clips though…

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I use Wellgo MG-1’s. I found they made no difference in speed to SPD-SL’s.

Be aware its easier to catch a pedal on the inside of a turn though.

Those cannodnale ones are not very good. They were on a demo bike i tried. No grip or support.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Get some speedplays with all that free float, or just rotate the cleat to the angle your foot would like to be in

wiggles
    Free Member

some people get away with using flats on a road bike…

Superficial
    Free Member

SPDs allow some float I.e. lateral oscillation throughout the motion of the pedal, whereas flat pedals don’t since your foot can’t move as easily.

I’d have thought decent cleat position would be the best option, then Speedplay pedals if that’s not float-y enough?

smatkins1
    Free Member

I run flat pedals (new v12s) on my road bike. That probably breaks some UCI rules!

Just run whatever pedals and shoes you run on your mtb.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Pedals for a road bike’ is closed to new replies.