• This topic has 13 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by TiRed.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Pedals for a painful knee after 40+ miles.
  • Wally

Anyone got dodgy knees and found a pedal that seems to solve pain?

I do realise that cleat position makes a huge difference and I really should fiddle some more, but I am wondering if TIME ATAC XC8 might be a good bet.

Wally.

mattyfez

Expensive pedals won’t help at all if your fit is incorrect, I’d start there first, personally!

dovebiker

A pedal that offers float can help alleviate knee pain but won’t address fundamental problems with bike fit – a 2-bar pedal like Time, Crank Bros or Look works better for me that a SPD with doesn’t offer as much free-float. Knee pain can be the symptom of numerous causes too – e.g. over-use, injury, biomechanical imbalance or positional – understand which one will help with pain-free riding.

Wally
    coatesy
    Free Member

I suffered with knee problems for years, tried numerous pedals with lots of float (of which Time were probably the worst), settled on Speedplay Frogs quite a few years back, and they helped a lot, but didn’t solve it. An expensive Cyclefit session in London proved the bike was near spot-on, and cleat wedges were deemed the answer. Another year or two of perserverance, with little improvement saw me in the hands of a physio called Andy Berry, who deals with cyclists and cycle fitting, and within five minutes he’d made a diagnosis,then showed me exercises to prove it, and gave me excercises to sort the issue (weak muscles in the left butt cheek). Within a week, I was riding virtually pain free, and with occasional repeats of the exercise, have remained so ever since.

fifeandy
    Free Member

Agree with others, forget the pedals, get a bike fit and a physio appointment.
    I’ve had knee trouble twice, once required two weeks worth of daily exercises to strengthen mucsle just above knee, and the other about 10 days worth of stretches for the IT band.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

And crap/unsuitable pedals won’t let you get your fit correct.

thegman67

I have been suffering from knee pain for the last 12 months and have just changed my cranks to 165mm from 175mm and the pain disappeared immediately. But I was getting knee pain almost as soon as I had to push hard

phil40
    Free Member

Try flats?

I had issues with sore knees but since swapping everything seems better!

However my longest road rides are only 2hrs! I am possibly doing a half ironman next year and quite possibly will do that on flats as well!

Wally

Solved it. Although I suspect moving the cleats back actually did the trick.

Speedfrogs. No pain today after 45 miles. SDW here I come.

grahamh
    Free Member

Are you spinning or mashing a big gear?

Skankin_giant
    Free Member

I’m a fan of frogs… just too tight for a pedal change…

Cheers, Steve

Wally

No pain after 100miles and 14 hours, a result.

TiRed

What sort of knee pain? If it is sharp and on the outside, this may be irritation of a he ITB. In which case, sliding the saddle forwards will help with over extension.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Pedals for a painful knee after 40+ miles.’ is closed to new replies.