Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Pedals and dropper post question
  • teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Looking at new bike. If I bite the bullet, there are various kit items to throw in. Any views on:

Shimano XTR trail versus the XC pedals (for FS XC bike). XC seems obvious choice but like the look of trail version (and the idea)
    Dropper post thrown in – is it worth it on XC bike? I move my saddle around a lot on current HT but never in a race. If money was not object is it worth having one on an XC bike

wwaswas

use std post when racing to save weight and dropper the rest of the time to avoid lots of faffing?

IA

I’d have one on my XC bike after having one on the AM bike for a few rides.

Pretty spanky hardtail too (100mm 29er HT).

Get one that drops a little too, rather than just all the way. I have a 125 or 35mm drop, I actually use the 35mm more. It becomes second nature, like changing gear. Flowy singletrack? Drop it a little, flow a little more etc.

avdave2

If money was not object is it worth having one on an XC bike

If money is not an issue and weight not an issue then why not. I only ride XC and never move my saddle but if I could do it on the go I would. I used to do it years ago and even had a Hite Rite but I wasn’t, and proud to say still aren’t, heavy enough to move the saddle down. It just worked like a bad suspension seatpost.

chives
    Free Member

Do you really need the weight saving of the XTR spec trail spds? I’ve been using the deore PD-M530 (think that’s right numbers) and they seem to do what it says on the tin, for a fraction of the price.

Can’t offer anything on the seatpost though, still wondering about a dropper meself..

IA

m540 are a chunk lighter than 520s, not sure XTR are worth it over the 540s tho.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

The price of the bike includes a set amount to spend on kit. Hence opportunity to upgrade beyond normal choices eg pedals.

Re the xtr, my main question is about anyone’s experiences of the trail versus XC versions of Shimsno pedals.

Seat post is fixed on bike so thinking of dropper mainly due to fact that I currently adjust my set height a lot. Having said that I didn’t change it in the two demo rides

Nonsense
    Free Member

Dropper posts are brilliant. Wish I could find a decent one to fit my HT. I prefer the trail version of the SPDs and I have both. I wouldn’t buy XTR though. The m530 trail pedals are just as good as my XT normal SPDs just a tiny bit heavier.

james
    Free Member

” XTR trail versus the XC pedals (for FS XC bike”
    First off, what shoes are you to run, why and would you consider anything else?
    race style shoes – cageless SPD pedals
    something easier to walk in, shimano trail (M530,XT,XTR) pedals are a little better than with cageless SPD pedals for the ‘hot spot’, but the cage bit is useless IMO, its the slight extra area around the axle.
    DX,545,424 have a useable cage to pressure relieve if your shoes arent stiff enough to use a cageless pedal like M520,M540,XT,XTR

Am now on M520 and M530, spesh experts (will go back to sports once the experts fall to bits) and tahoes (very flexy, but have chunky tread and spesh 48s fit my feet)

Dropper post. I bought mine because my FS frame with a post chopped to give maximum saddle drop and proper pedalling height/saddle insertion for frame had about 3″ of drop. I knew this before buying but never realised how much my riuding would ‘advance’. Now on a new frame with loads of post/saddle slammable so a dropper post would actually restrict max saddle drop (which I rarely do). Places I ‘know’ its no real biggie as I know where to set my saddle. Its places new to me Ive found Im wanting a dropper again.

“m540 are a chunk lighter than 520s”
    IIRC M520 are 280/282g, M540 254g, M770 XT 252g, last gen. XTR were ~320g, latest gen. XTR are ~310g
    Wellgo do some for 300g, RRP is £30. I think they’re in the reviews section on mbr, a bit flexy, but if you’re not ‘bulky’, powering out the saddle or through the rough all the time they might suit. Though there are some others for about the same money/weight that have been reviewed terribly. Cant remember which is which

I was sold on M540s (in a shop .. ) when I first went to SPDs for their longer last cartridge bearings. I dont doubt this, but the body wore out before any play developed. M520s have developed play (Ive not serviced them) but the bodies are also going. the ‘body’ play is bvetter with new cleats but its not all that long before the play is back, and yes I keep on upping the tensioning up the springs attempting to compensate for wear. Its obvious wear on the body of the pedal

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Pedals and dropper post question’ is closed to new replies.