Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Pedal washers, are they really needed
  • steve_b77
    Free Member

I’ve just got a new bike that has a Truvativ / SRAM and the product manual says that pedals should be installed with washers, but there were none in the box.

Are they really essential if the pedal threads are well greased?

legend
    Free Member

Depends on the crank ime. I’ve had RaceFace cranks in the past where the axle started to dig into the crank if you didn’t have the washers in place

otsdr
    Free Member

Never used them, but I also never had carbon cranks; I’m thinking the washer would prevent the pedal from pulling the insert?

steve_b77
    Free Member

These are alloy cranks, SRAM Omnium to be specific, on a track bike.

rhayter

Yes, they are.

downhillfast
    Free Member

I have never used them.
    Only time I’ve seen them was when I bought new Shimano SPD pedals last year.
    Don’t ever remember seeing them on the new bikes I’ve had either.

slimjim78
    Free Member

I think they add minimal protection to a crank arm, if any – in some cases.
    Although, if you’re a spanner monkey and/or have carbon arms with inserts they probably offer a small amount of tensile displacement.

I’ve fretted over it before having lost a single washer and not having a replacement to hand.
    Fitted pedals anyway. not died yet.

ajantom

Both pairs of older (2011-13) RF cranks I bought had pedal washers with them. So I use them with those cranks. I assume RF don’t just include them for a laugh.

On the other hand I’ve never used them with Shimano cranks.

daern
    Free Member

Have never used them, or felt the need to use them with Shimano cranks and SPD pedals. If supplied, or recommended then I would use, but I wouldn’t use them just for the sake of it.

The instructions for both the latest and previous generation of Shimano pedals make no mention of washers. Nor is one included with the latest XTR chainset.

I suppose other manufacturers will vary their recommendation, but for Shimano I would say it’s a solid “no”. Personally, I would say it’s more important to keep threads greased and torque the pedals up correctly. If your pedal is chewing up the crankset, then it’s probably not secured correctly and nothing writes off an expensive set of cranks quicker than loose pedals…

Edit: Note that SRAM’s official road and track crankset manual does mention pedal washers, so you probably want to bear this in mind too… (pages 19 and 24)

coatesy
    Free Member

Always a good idea, but more dependant on the pedal than the crank. If your pedal has the spanner flats exposed at the crank interface, then it’s likely to dig into the crank, if it has a rounded face it’s far less likely.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Depends on the pedals.

SPD’s, not needed.

Burgtech penthouses on the other hand will gouge huge lumps of aluminum out of your cranks as you tighten them as the 15mm flats meet the crank.

sharkattack

Straight in the bin every time.

singlespeedstu

Burgtech penthouses on the other hand will gouge huge lumps of aluminum out of your cranks as you tighten them as the 15mm flats meet the crank.

My Burgtec pedals don’t do this.
    In fact they haven’t even got any flats on them.

steve_b77
    Free Member

I’ve got Shimano PD-R550-SPD-SL and they have a little flange on the end if the thread

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Pedal washers, are they really needed’ is closed to new replies.