• This topic has 99 replies, 50 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 100 total)
  • Pedal Removal – What Am I Doing Wrong?
  • scotroutes

That rather depends on the angle of the wrench

simondbarnes

I’m amazed some of you can even tie shoe laces or even breathe. How the hell can taking a pedal off end up with a thread this long?!

Northwind

belugabob – Member

The use of this phrase always amuses me.
    To the uninitiated, it’s not obvious what is going left or right.
    If you understand the left/right implications of the phrase, then you don’t need the phrase.

I really don’t think that’s true. Certainly for me, when I knew nothing, it was useful. It’s pretty obvious when you put most tools on a bolt or screw what you’re talking about when you say left or right

scc999

I love this thread.

That is all.

Wally

What about if the bike is on a conveyor belt?

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Is it before or after the cuddly toy?

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

That rather depends on the angle of the wrench

Which is why I said to have it pointing upwards.

scaredypants

what if the bike’s upside down

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

How do you sit on it when it’s upside down?

scaredypants

How do you sit on it when it’s upside down?

Do you even flip, bro ?

(hadn’t actually read your other post, obvz – it’s way too far up the page – was more relating to ads’ version)

Greybeard
    Free Member

Is this forum thread left or right handed?

pdw
    Free Member

In the unlikely event that you figure out which way to turn it, heating the crank is very effective as the alloy crank will expand more than the steel pedal.

BTW right is right. i.e. Right hand pedal has a normal thread.

scaredypants

Greybeard – Member
    Is this forum thread left or right handed?

If you think this is part of the one-handed web, …

jamj1974

This thread is priceless! 43 posts giving guidance to the OP on loosening a pedal.

How on earth is there any debate in the replies…?

JoeG
    Free Member
    dirksdiggler
    Free Member

My fave and added to keep this one alive…
    bike on its wheels, alan wrench or pedal spanner in/on pedal axle with tools long end pointing to rear of bike with crank arm anywhere forwards of bottom
    Stand on weapon of choice.

Poopscoop

Freely admit that if in doubt I just Google the answer.

In my defence I don’t change pedals often, ok?! 🙂

Poopscoop

Wally – Member
    What about if the bike is on a conveyor belt?

Coughed my energy drink at that post! You evil genius. 🙂

Saw some great threads on that one bitd!

hols2
    Free Member

So did you get the pedals off in the end or do you need more detailed advice?

rOcKeTdOg

simondbarnes – Member
    I’m amazed some of you can even tie shoe laces or even breathe. How the hell can taking a pedal off end up with a thread this long?!

Its basically this that keeps independent bike shops in existence 🙂

belugabob
    Free Member

belugabob – Member
    The use of this phrase always amuses me.
    To the uninitiated, it’s not obvious what is going left or right.
    If you understand the left/right implications of the phrase, then you don’t need the phrase.

I really don’t think that’s true. Certainly for me, when I knew nothing, it was useful. It’s pretty obvious when you put most tools on a bolt or screw what you’re talking about when you say left or right[/quote]

It depends on whether your spanner is pointing up or down, from the nut (if it’s pointing left or right, things are even less clear)

Poopscoop

Joking aside did the op get the pedal off I wonder?

shooterman

Nope. Stuck fast. Can’t budge it even with extra leverage.

simondbarnes

Nope. Stuck fast. Can’t budge it even with extra leverage.

Are you turning it the right way?

(sorry)

shooterman

Yes. I’ve now watched umpteen Youtube videos on pedal removal and I’m satisfied I’m turning it the right way.

aracer
    Free Member

valid question though, given all of his comments on here seem to suggest he’s turning it the wrong way. Exactly how are you attempting to unscrew it now OP? Picture would be handy ( http://postimages.org )

shooterman

If I were sitting on the bike, pedal at about 10 O’clock. Pulling allen key towards me.

aracer
    Free Member

At about 10 o’clock looking from which side? Which direction is the allen key pointing? There are so many ways to be ambiguous about this, hence why I reckon a pic would help – and it’s really not that difficult to provide one if like most people you have a smartphone.

matt_outandabout

Are you wearing the correct colour undergarments for pedal removal?

scotroutes

This is already at the “simple headset query” stage 🙂

shooterman

I appreciate a pic would help but I can’t nip out to the garage at the moment.

Looking from the back of the bike, the Allen key is pointing away from me and I’m pulling it back towards me.

scotroutes

You’ll get a lot more power into it if pressing down rather than pulling up, so rotate the cranks and tool into a position you can do that.

simondbarnes

That is correct. However, you’ll have far more chance of removing the pedal by pushing rather than pulling.

aracer
    Free Member

😆 I like the wonderful ambiguity of that statement! (and I’ve no idea how anybody else is working out whether it’s right or wrong)

andy4d

Yeah….3 pages on removing a pedal 😀 if it makes it to 5 it may be a classic in the making.

There is a lot of talk here of allen/hex keys..what if, like my wifes bike, it uses a pedal spanner, does this change the technique required?

markshires
    Free Member

To be fair I had the same pedals, and one of them ended up stuck fast, no idea how my mate ended up cutting the pedal and welding a big bolt to it to get it out. The crank arm was still fine afterwards but I needed a new pedal axle though.

scc999

JoeG – you’ve ruined the thread now! That cearly shows how to remove a pedal and is really har to misinterpret.

Spoilsport.

hols2
    Free Member

Proper pedal spanners or hex sockets on a 1/2″ drive powerbar are much better than an Allen key.

paladin

shooterman – Member
    Yes. I’ve now watched umpteen Youtube videos on pedal removal and I’m satisfied I’m turning it the right way

the right way being the left way hopefully?

kettle of boiling water onto the end of the crank arm? a wee bit of expansion and contraction to break the grip?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 100 total)

The topic ‘Pedal Removal – What Am I Doing Wrong?’ is closed to new replies.