Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Pedal release angle
  • onandon
    Free Member

Just fitted some time xc8 pedals with 13 deg release angle. I’ve always had issues twisting my heels outwards and just can’t cope with that amount of movement. My legs just won’t move in that way.
    ( this has always been the case and various doctors etc and confirmed this is just the way I’m built.
    Anyway……

Thinking of ditching the times and getting something else. But what?

My road pedals are set up so the cleat is twisted so I only need a slight outward movement to pop out.
    Are there and MTB pedals like that?

I though about some XTR pedals with the SH-56 cleats so I can pull up if I need to.

Any ideas thoughts

legend
    Free Member

Have you tried angling the cleats so that you don’t have to twist as far?

onandon
    Free Member

You can’t with these cleats and pedals. Either 13 or 17 release angle.

legend
    Free Member

But there is still float to move the cleats on your shoes, there has to be to allow for different users preferences. If you loosen the cleats and angle the front of them so they are pointing towards the centre of the bike before tightening again you won’t have to move you heal out as far. It might not be enough but it can definitely be done (I’ve had Times in the past myself).

It’s exactly the same as being able to adjust your road cleats, just with 2 bolts instead of three (assuming Look or SPD-SL type setup)

onandon
    Free Member

I’ll check but I don’t think so. Not in the giro republic shoes I’m using.

legend
    Free Member

They are just a standard track on the bottom. How have you setup the angle of the cleats in the past? My knees go to pieces almost instantly if I’m not careful with where they are pointing.

As you’ve already had the cleats tightened down it might be easier to take them off completely as they dig into the sole. This can also make them a bit harder to adjust as they’ll naturally want to fall back into the grooves they’ve created

onandon
    Free Member

I have either ridden road with the clears angled or flats for MTB. I wanted this pedal / shoe combo for longer gravel rides and sort of touring. I’ll go have a look see in a mo.

Edit – a few deg of movement should help. I also found some new time 10 deg cleats.
    Or start again with Shimano ?

legend
    Free Member

Ah right that makes sense. You should definitely be able to get a few degrees out of them, you can often force them to an angle and clamp them down. Not as obvious as road cleats, but just as important really

onandon
    Free Member

Decided to ditch the Time xc8s and try some Shimano with multi release cleats.
    Also sorting my hip rotation so will eventually be able to unclip heel outwards, just not for the moment.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Pedal release angle’ is closed to new replies.