Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Pedal hanger bike storage – bad for the bottom bracket or no?
  • munkster
    Free Member

So I’ve been hanging my winter bike by one of those brackets that suspends it against the wall by the pedal, and now that bike has developed a creak/clunk from the (HT2) bottom bracket, admittedly after about 2000km-ish so could just be the lifespan of the thing aside from anything else.

Anyone know if there’s any general thoughts on whether these hangers can put undue pressure on the BB and cause it to fail prematurely? Given that the bike is probably under 8kg, compared to the forces a human puts through it on a normal ride you’d surely think not, but wondered all the same.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Never noticed any issue with the three i used.

dovebiker

Comparing an 8kg static load vs a 100kg masher (with all respects to the OP)?

jim25

Think you answered your own question at the end there!

No way an 8kg bike can cause as much wear as a 80kg person plus gravity forces

munkster
    Free Member

How verrrry dare the lot of you! 75kg if I’m a gram! 😉

I know that the loads don’t compare in terms of magnitude, but the pedalling action would be in the vertical plane whereas the suspended situation would be somewhat at an angle so thought it might be possible it might be doing something untoward to bearings that aren’t designed/intended to be loaded like that s’all.

I’ll put it down to usual wear and tear anyway, replace the BB and see how it goes. Have had many more km’s out of BBs usually that’s all.

jim25

What about when your stood up, pedals level ploughing through the rough stuff, that’s a lot of separation force put on the bearings.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Pedal hanger bike storage – bad for the bottom bracket or no?’ is closed to new replies.