Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Pedal For Scotland – anyone doing it?
  • SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

I am doing the 51 mile route with my father inlaw.

Looking forward to getting a bit of banter with the old guy and hearing stories from his travels on his bike.

bigG
    Free Member

yup, i'm doing it. But on my road bike. Planning to get there as early as I can so I don't get owned by too many old dears half wheeling me all the way to Kirkliston.

Number 1802 is me.

G

OmarLittle
    Free Member

yeah doing the 51 mile one with my dad, hoping to start early as possible as the last time i started after 9 and it was total chaos!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

We should be starting around 8ish. I will be on a bianchi 928 carbon roadie with a brooks and carradice bag and the father in law will be on a hunk of junk and has a mad beard.

stucol
    Free Member

Count me in ! 5 of us going from Neilston which makes it a 61 mile trip.

Mind you, next door neighbour is leaving from here and coming back via forth and clyde canal path.

That will be errr, about 120 plus i guess. He does get out on the road bike a lot more than i do these days.

Everyone watch out for weaving numpties. Had to have a quiet word with one guy last year who nearly had a mate off twice ! We used to call them Gringos in my old road club !

Oh and a nice tail wind forecast. Enjoy.

druidh
    Free Member

Say hello to James the mechanic if you stop at the Linlithgow feed station!

radoggair
    Free Member

Yeah, doing the 100, plus time i do the 20 into Glasgow and the 35 odd back home it makes it a rather long day in the saddle, about 160 all in. PLus a 7:30am start 🙁

Stu_N

Hope you all had a good day.

Did the sportive, made it 99 miles so not a proper century ride (but morally it was!), lovely route through the edge of Southern Uplands.

Wonder how many people did the sportive in the end – my money would be on about 1,000… We set off at 0730 and ended up in a big group coming into Edinburgh, just riders as far forward and back as you could see for the entire route so must have been a huge event. Hope they do the sportive next year, but add a mile or two into it to make it a full 100!

Had some isotonic sports recovery gin and a small glass of red for morale tonight…

ps to the guys with big rucksacks and panniers – what was in there? A camelbak or pannier I can understand, a pair of panniers or 35l sack I can't…

EDIT – finest moment definitely having a poo in the portaloos in Douglas. And sincere apologies to the poor sod who went in there after me.

radoggair
    Free Member

was a good event indeed. Not sure what happened at the start but didn't get away until about 7:40. That was extra sleep time to me. The 100 was a good course although when they put that MASSIVE STEEP climb in before tinto they must of been chuckling to themsleves. Glasgow also turned out to be a nightmare to get out of. Think every traffic light was on red. Still, done a good pace by myself, was dying to find a group who were quite quick but that never transpired. The 38 mile ride home was a blimming nightmare with that headwind though :(.

Seen a father and son on the line with there mtb's. If they managed to finish then big respect to them

Diane
    Free Member

Oh yuk! Was thinking of doing it next year but need to make sure i don't need the loo

mimi123
    Free Member

My BOSS is doing the hunderd miler! He has been out on a bike once!!!!! 😆

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

We hit every red light on the route too. Was a quality day out an I look forward to next year.

A couple of observations: There were an obscene amount of mechanicals and there were a hell of a lot of unhealthy sounding boardmans out there.

druidh
    Free Member

I saw a few be-rucksacked riders (including one on a white MTB) coming through Balerno late afternoon. Weather looks to have been pretty much ideal?

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Must have been a pretty massive tailwind most the way?

radoggair
    Free Member

Weather looks to have been pretty much ideal?

It was quite wet over ayrshire way, not raining, just wet roads. Was wet around muirkirk as well.

Weather apart from that was o.k.. Nice tailwind in sections.

druidh
    Free Member

radoggair – Member
    It was quite wet over ayrshire way, not raining, just wet roads. Was wet around muirkirk as well.

I thought that was just because they couldn't afford sanitation in the west?

RestlessNative
    Free Member

I did the 51 but got away almost last at 10am (because the bus transfer we were on from Edinburgh got lost, twice, then got stuck down a side street and we had to walk the last half mile or so to the start)

Unfortunately that meant overtaking thousands of wobbling, weaving, walking people. Pretty dangerous in places and annoying when they felt the need to block the entire road walking up one hill. I had to dodge dropped bottles, flying pumps and even a handlebar bag at one point.

Still it was a bit of fun and rolled into Edinburgh in 2h56m still in one piece. Wish I had done the sportive route coz it would have been much prettier and safer.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Pedal For Scotland – anyone doing it?’ is closed to new replies.