Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Pedal extenders
  • darrenspink
    Free Member

I jump from being clipped in to flats a lot, bit of a love hate relationship with both really. One of my main problems with being clipped in is I don’t feel like my feet are far enough away from the crank arms. Maybe this is due to having slightly ‘toe out’ feet. I have to point my cleats out to one side slightly.
    A longer pedal axle would be a solution but pedal extenders maybe a cheaper and only alternative, just wondering if anyone uses these or have done in the past and what their experience of them were.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Yes! I used some Specialized 20mm one and they worked great for me (size 47 feet).

alexxx
    Free Member

Ha, as if that is actually a thing!

My suggestion would have been to go for some wider crank brothers pedals if they are the brand you use for clips?

Not sure I’d trust pedal spacers personally.

stevextc
    Free Member

Yes! I used some Specialized 20mm one and they worked great for me (size 47 feet).

I’m only 1 leg pointy out … same issue with cleats on that side… would you reckon doing both ???

legend
    Free Member

“No longer available” as they got snappy iirc!

spacehopper

i looked into these a while back to give me a bit more width when using the weeride bike seat with my daughter..

the specialized ones where impossible to find as like Legend says i think they started snapping..

I think i eventually did manage to find an engineering firm somewhere.. (possibly in the US) that still made them.. but they werent cheap!

darrenspink
    Free Member

My suggestion would have been to go for some wider crank brothers pedals if they are the brand you use for clips?.

Have some funn mamba pedals, they are as big as you can get.

“No longer available” as they got snappy iirc!

That is a slight problem 😮

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

hmm, didn’t see they were sold out… These look similar https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/pedals-cleats/20-jtek-qplus-pedal-extenders-916-inch/

Mine were fine for the time I used them, but I did mostly use flat pedals and only put the SPD-SL’s on for crit racing because flats weren’t allowed.

eskay

I have some of these unused (still in packet) somewhere in my garage if anyone is interested:

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/pedals-cleats/20mm-kneesavers-pedal-extenders/

sideshow
    Free Member

I have been riding with those jtek 20mm ones on my hardtail over the winter, because I also have pointy out feet. So far I love them, my life is much easier on climbs.

I run them with flat pedals – if you run a narrow flat like DMR V8 then it’s already about a cm narrower than the fashionable big wide flats around these days, which compensates for the extra width a bit. So clipping rocks and ruts hasn’t been quite the problem I expected. For you on cleats this will be a non issue completely I imagine.

I might try them on the other bike at some point, at which point we’ll see whether or not they’ve rusted into place permenantly.

paton
    Free Member
    tillydog
    Free Member
    darrenspink
    Free Member

15 quid, worth a try at that price.

simon1975

I’m pretty sure I’ve a used pair of the Specialized ones that were recalled somewhere in the house. I never got around to taking them back… Give me a shout if you want them for postage pennies.

darrenspink
    Free Member

Thanks, although im going to look into adding washers first, I may only need a few (rather than 20mm) Just reading up on it now.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

There’s a good reason that the minimum extension you can buy is 20mm. It’s because that’s how much pedal thread you need inserted. I’d be wary of adding tttooo many washers, it’s taking ALL of you power/weight, not something you want snapping.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Pedal extenders’ is closed to new replies.