Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • pedal dilemma for a small person that won't open him to the bone.
  • robhughes
    Free Member

Evening all.I gave my old set of nanos to my 13 year old nephew and he’s managed to last 3 hours before the inevitable leg slice (his mums not happy).
    Can anyone recommend a good set that don’t have pins and i’ll fire him a set over.
    Cheers gang.

matt_outandabout

Ime less grippy / non pin pedals means you are more likely to slip off, and just as likely to cut yourself.

Shin pads. And riding within your limits – a good life lesson.

nickdavies

Shin pads or spds. As Matt says no pins=no grip and it’ll be worse than a cut shin.

scaredypants

yeah, shinnies

… or MumTFU

kayak23

DMR V6. Kind of a halfway house.
    Decent pins but in plastic so maybe slightly kinder.

Otherwise, tons of plastic bmx pedals out there with minimal pinnage.

Lucas
    Free Member

I got my 6 year old some plastic wellgos with plastic pins. The pins are kind of rounded off. They seem grippy enough but should not mash up his legs when he spins a pedal

aracer
    Free Member

I’ve got scars on my legs from pins on a plastic pedal – it’s not the solution, shin pads are.

vincienup
    Free Member

Take the pins out of the nanos and add skateboard grip tape?

+1 on shin pads if it’s going to be a problem to earn his stripes…

robhughes
    Free Member

Cheers all.I forgot to put that he doesn’t ride off road much so shin pads aren’t really an option unless he want’s to look a wee bit stupid in front of his pals.
    I thought about the dmr’s kayak23 but have gone similar plastic pinned ones off the bay to see if he can cope with them first.He’s also a little bit slow on the learning level so in hindsight i cocked up giving him the nano’s.It could only end badly hence there now off the bike.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

How about introducing him to MTB clippers pedals and shoes with recessed cleats?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Surely you’re overthinking it and over specifying the pedals if he’s just using the bike to get around on? Just tell him to drop his heels a bit to stop his feet bouncing off. Either that or just stick the crappy OEM ones that came off the bike back on and absolve yourself of the problem.

Plastic pedals help because they weigh less so hit the shin with a bit less force assuming the rider comes off both pedals and the cranks are just spinning.

The mistake you made was assuming that the rest of the world cares about anodised bling pedals with big pins on their bike. To a 13 yr old a bike is just what get’s them to a mates house to play call of duty or the Spar for 3l of White Lightning. If he’s really lucky he’ll pull a massive skid infont of some girls and pull one of them before graduating to a Corsa and doing handbrake turns in a few years.

unless he want’s to look a wee bit stupid in front of his pals.

How about introducing him to MTB clippers pedals and shoes with recessed cleats?

No one looks good in SPD shoes, even before they try to walk/run/play football/pull girls in them.

robhughes
    Free Member

The mistake you made was assuming that the rest of the world cares about anodised bling pedals with big pins on their bike. To a 13 yr old a bike is just what get’s them to a mates house to play call of duty or the Spar for 3l of White Lightning. If he’s really lucky he’ll pull a massive skid infont of some girls and pull one of them before graduating to a Corsa and doing handbrake turns in a few years.

You really are a dick aren’t you thisisnotaspoon.Not everybody lives in your weird world.

njee20
    Free Member

I thought he raised a good point. You don’t actually say if he’s going MTBing though, or riding to his friend’s house/the Spar.

lustyd
    Free Member

Powergrips are good for young people. Flat pedals and normal shoes but with the stability and control of SPDs.

scotroutes

That really. Our customers hire MTBs and most of them go off-roading without needing “special” pedals, just the standard plastic flatties that come with the bikes. We do SPDs for those that want them but no one has ever asked for big flats.

ads678

Can’t say I can see where Tinas is being a dick.

My lad had some plastic wellgos they were fine, the bearing died after a while. Was going to get him some v6’s but got some kore ones from crc as they matched his bike better. They are also fine for riding off-road so should be fine for riding around streets.

Sven

I have done exactly what vincienup suggested, took the pins out of a narrow Wellgo pedal and stuck grip tape on both sides, works fairly well.

PJM1974
    Free Member

+1 for plastic DMR V6s. They’re as grippy as hell, but won’t slice your shins.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

You really are a dick aren’t you thisisnotaspoon.Not everybody lives in your weird world.

It’d be awfully crowded if they did

(although it does seem like most people do agree, and my names not Tomas).

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘pedal dilemma for a small person that won't open him to the bone.’ is closed to new replies.