Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Pedal Bearing Removal – any DIY methods/Tips?
  • noltae
    Free Member

I don’t have a bearing pulling tool – and I want to replace bearings in my spank spikes – thinking of trying to gouge / ‘hook’ them out .. Anyone done this ? Not bothered if bearings get damaged as I’ve got new ones to fit .. Rummaging around tools to find a ‘hooking’ device right now ..

joshvegas
    Free Member

You’ll be bothered if the inner race comes out leaving the outer in.

Just get the tool and get it out straight.

noltae
    Free Member

Anyone? I’m a sucker for a bodge job !!

mintimperial

You might be able to get the bearing out if you carefully tap the inside race on alternate sides with a long hex key, from the outer side? Getting in to the pedal body seems a bit difficult due to the shape of the pedal body though. If that doesn’t work you could possibly bodge a blind puller with an expanding anchor nut and bolt from a DIY store, I’ve used that method in the past with similar scenarios. In the end though I just bought a blind puller set for stuff like this.

Whatever you do you need to get the bearing out straight. If you just try to gouge or lever it out with brute force from the inboard side you are almost certainly going to **** your pedals.

somafunk

try freezing the pedal for an hour then pouring boiling water over the area where the bearing sits, this may help you remove the stainless bearing.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Blind beating pullers are cheap. Get one. 🙂

Murray

Or find the right size Rawlbolt

jclowes
    Free Member

twodogsfighting
    Free Member

Might seem weird but a rawlplug bolt would do the job.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Pedal Bearing Removal – any DIY methods/Tips?’ is closed to new replies.