Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Pedal back brake anybody?
  • Hairychested
    Free Member

Just curious, does anybody here use it on a commuter/road SS bike?

attractivefish
    Free Member

Kinda, I just ride fixed both on and off road, for me back pedaling does seem to slow me down though 🙂

alpinegirl
    Free Member

I have it one my commuter (which is just an ancient old 3 gear bike with basket etc). I find it very useful but mostly because my front rim brake is terrible and needs about 20m to stop me – it's quite good for being lazy aswell. The main problem is I get too used to it and often try to back-pedal brake on my roadbike and it takes me a few seconds to realise why I'm not slowing down.

MrNutt
    Free Member

I learnt to ride on an old dutch thing that had one, damn that was a heavy ugly bike!

Peyote
    Free Member

Yep, got one on the back of my Dahon Mu Uno. Been using it for a few months now, but not fully confident enough to remove the front brake yet.

Not really a road bike, or a commuter in the conventional sense. It is SS though!

cynic-al
    Free Member

I had one on a nexus for a bit. I think it was OK – obviously not as strong or controllable as a regular brake though.

greasystain
    Free Member

Putting the kids bikes back in the shed last night, I jumped on my sons 16" hotrock and nearly broke my neck when I forgot about the back pedal brake. Being bent over a very little bike and stopping very suddenly don't go well together:)

konabunny
    Free Member

aka coaster brake?

I just really hate the feel even it looks very clean.

avdave2

I learnt to ride on an old dutch thing

Ah the joys of a teenage trip to Amsterdam.

finbar
    Free Member

I love coaster brakes, not that i've had one since my 16" GT BMX when i was about 9. I swear i got through a tyre a fortnight on that thing.

teddy
    Free Member

i have one on my trek hybrid ss.
    shimano cb-110 i think…
    the force you can get with 13 stone pushing on the brake lever is initially surprising. lock up at (any) speed possible.

if you are tempted, watch for the hub spacing.. mine is 110mm between the dropouts.

it is cool coming to a stop at the lights non handed and not on a fixie though!

MadBillMcMad

had them on courtesy bikes at a steel mill in Finland – awesome fun – especially when taken into the Gulf of Bothnia on a midnight sunrise trip.

RepackRider
    Free Member

Okay for cruising in town, but a serious handicap for offroad.

They aren't made for long descents.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Pedal back brake anybody?’ is closed to new replies.