Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Pedal advice! Seeking good alternative to V8's that won't eat my legs!
  • KateD
    Free Member

Hello,

I currently use a set of V8's on my full sus mountain bike and was wondering if anyone can recommend a good set of grippy pedals that won't tear my shins to pieces like the V8's do. I seem to be falling off a lot at the moment and my legs are looking pretty un attractive! I'm looking to spend up to £25 max. I've looked at the plastic ones and not sure how well they work in wet weather. Any one have any ideas? I'm only 9 stone so they don't need to carry a huge weight! Also, I've tried shin pads but didn't really get on with them. Thanks 🙂

montylikesbeer

superstar nano's look OK

jim
    Free Member

SPDs or MTFU.

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

SPDs

lesoxdh
    Free Member

SHIMANO DX

thomthumb
    Free Member

the problem is if they are grippy they will eat shins.

what shinnies did you try? i like the neoprene ones.

technique will help your feet stay on the pedals -remember to keep heels down.

HTH

wors

Superstar nano's are ace.

alexpalacefan

+1 for thomthumb, less "pin-ey" pedals are worse as your feet slip off so much more. I'd try different leg armour, is there any that you could borrow to try out?

Or if fit is the issue a chap I know cut the legs off a wet-suit and that provides some protection from the pins, if not the bruising.

APF

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

See, this is the thing. Flatties eat your legs becasue they are easy to loose footing with…. Becasue you're not connected to them

So, a smoother pedal will slip more, but a grippier one hurts more!

The only options are
    Find some shinpads that you like. There are some fairly lighweight neoperene ones. BMXers tend to wear them under jeans….

Or

Switch to SPDs and that will stop most of the missed pedals, but it hurts just as much if you get one in the shin!

Not really what you want to hear, sorry! 🙂

sobriety
    Free Member

stop most of the missed pedals, but it hurts just as much if you get one in the shin

The only disadvantage of SPDs is when one fails to unclip as you fall off and you bounce down the trail with one foot still attached, which was when i stopped using clipless off road…

Wellgo B-54s and shin pads until you get the hang of not getting bounced off:)

alexxx
    Free Member

keep your feet on the pedals!? get some 510 shoes if your having problems! if that fails your technique sucks so practise!

bravohotel9er
    Free Member

Keep your V8s and use the money to 661 it right up.

Tracey

What shoes are you using, they could be the problem

I use these

With five ten shoes

Tracey

Lucas
    Free Member

Grippy = hurty shins or in my case the back of my legs.

ourkidsam
    Free Member

I started wearing shinnies a couple of years ago after getting torn to bits with v12s. I've recently stopped wearing them and my shins are fine, so I guess as you get better you'll stop doing it quite so much

supinerider
    Free Member

are your feet planted on the pedals heel-down with the axle in the arch of your foot? that was the advice i got and it helped (until i forgot to do it and slipped off the pedals again).

i rode with a guy who swore by football socks as calf/shin protection. since then i've collected several more holes in my calves and shins – i'd rather have swiss cheese legs than wear knee-high socks.

KateD
    Free Member

Just wanted to check I wasn't missing out on some amazing discovery! Looks like there's no quick answer apart from to stop falling off so much!

thebunk

+ 1 for shin pads to get your skills and confidence up. Once you stop slipping off pedals & falling off (it does stop happening eventually!), you can ride free once more.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Burgtech Penthouses

So grippy that you never have issues with shin/pedal interfaces, but when you do…………….

Either that or my shins have gone numb?

Guy in the local shop recomended plastic pedals, says there's not quite as much grip (especialy when wet) but the much lower weight means they slam into your shins with less force.

iainc

I tried a pair of V8's on my 'pootle around with the kids etc bike' and was amazed at how much I smacked my legs on them. Time all roads now.

anyone want some nearly new V8's ?? 😆

cookeaa

Wellgo B-54s for me bigger surface than V8s thus easier to keep a hoof planted on and about the same price if not a shade cheaper…

Foot size can make a difference, are you the owner of large or small flippers?

Footwear obviously has a significant effect, the most common recommendation is of course 5.10s (and for good reason) but there are a couple of other marginally cheaper BMX/MTB flat specific shoes available, personally I use a pair of 'Duffs 4130' some people get on OK with 661s offerings others like Vans…

And of course, keep those heels Down!

Shin pads won't solve the issue which is often a combination of technique and kit (Shoes/Pedals), sort that and you shouldn't need shin pads*…

*Too often…

imp999
    Free Member

Here's a strange idea – Longer pins!

That's what I did and it stopped MOST of the shin impacts but of course when you do clout the pedal……..

BigJohn

Drop your saddle half an inch. You might find you lose contact less if your legs don't straighten out quite so much.

Having recently converted to flatties, I found I was getting bounced all over the place on tight rooty singletrack that I needed to pedal along until I made a point of imagining I was tucked into a little ball with bent legs. The difference is massive.

zangolin
    Free Member

As long as the pins are all there + not worn down then V8 pedals should be fine for grip. "Feet off" is more down to your technique or shoes or a combination of the previous – if your pedals are in good condition. Any pedal with pins is going to eat your shins – if they make contact.

I would put your money towards a pair of 5.10 shoes (Impacts) – lack of grip will not come into it then. Next it's just a case of developing your riding skills on flats. Loads of different ways to do that e.g. find or make a small jump + keep riding it till you can keep your feet on the pedals. Session a section of trail or track you find challenging. Even ride round your back garden + learn to bunny hop etc, etc.

Gotama
    Free Member

As others have said, if you haven't already got some 5.10s, get some. Or the Shimano AM40 which are as good i understand. It makes a massive difference, more than you can imagine. If you're still coming off the pedals after that then its time to address that side of it but being a 9st female with what i'd guess are relatively small feet then V8s will be as grippy as anything else.

dan1980
    Free Member

+1 for AM40s.

epicyclo

No need to get leg gashers. Something like these will do the job if you pair them with a pair of shoes/trainers which have a lugged sole.

I rode the UK Solo 24 Hour with pedals like these and wearing sandals. My feet never came off.

(It doesn't have to be these, just something like them. Bonus – they're usually cheap 🙂 )

fattatlasses
    Free Member

I can recommend Wellgo MG1's, a bit over your budget, but you can get them for £35 online at Merlin.

Over the years it feels like I've tried dozens of various flat pedals – & on various bikes at the mo, am currently run V8's, V12's MG1's, Superstars Mags and Ultra Mag Lites. IMO, by far the most shin friendly are the Superstars Ultra Mag Lites, because they're flat headed aluminium pins, rather than the usual threaded steel grub-screws (like the V8's). Only prob with the Ultra Mags is the price….£70!!

TBH, (again IMO) the Wellgo MG1's are much easier to live with than the V8's and are really good VFM. They've got a few less pins, and more importantly, are better sealed – this means that they don't spin as freely as the V8's, which I find makes them less likely to spin out and shin-gouge.

As other people have mentioned, you could stick with your V8's and get some good flatty shoes. I use 5.10's, Shimano AM40's and MP66's (not all at once 😉 ). My current faves are the AM40's – not as super sticky as 5.10's, but easier to adjust your foot for 'normal' trail riding (just shoe dye 'em if hate the white-ness).

Finally (soz to go on!), if you're still getting 'shinned', try and get some skills coaching from someone who really knows how to use flats (do it anyway if you can:). I used to use SPD's all the time for years, but once I learnt how to ride flats properly, it was a revelation – I just don't bother with my SPD's any more AND (famous last words) very very rarely get spiked by the pedals – It's not rocket science and if I can do it, anyone can. Once you get the technique sussed, the stuff that you can do without popping off the pedals is absolutely bonkers – even in cheapo skate shoes.

HTH

MrNutt
    Free Member

Outland pedals are currently my bestest friends, seriously, get some!

this is them:

KateD
    Free Member

I'm definitely going to look at getting some 5.10's as it might help, and they seem to come pretty highly recommended. Thanks again for all the tips!

cinnamon_girl

Another vote for 5:10's, together with Straitlines. You could always wear knee or leg warmers to cover your shins, coupled with 3/4 length baggies.

Failing that, search for ScratchGuardz (sp?), think I got them from CRC. Not full-on shin protection, more protection against brambles but are comfy to wear.

joolsc
    Free Member

I found the same thing with flats until you really get used to them you do slip off a bit, I bought some Lizard skins neoprene shin protectors which are light and you can take out the plastic insert if they are uncomfortable and will probably stop the pin gouging affect!

ftr1873
    Free Member

I have some Superstar Nanos and Nike 6.0s, neither are too expensive, and they seem to work well together. I haven't clouted my shins yet with that combo and I don't normally ride flats but do use them to try and develop better technique (although that's another thread).

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Pedal advice! Seeking good alternative to V8's that won't eat my legs!’ is closed to new replies.