Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Peaty's Sealant…
  • akira

I like the idea of Peaty working with a team of scientists.

qwerty
    Free Member

Stella idea.

steezysix
    Free Member

I genuinely thought that was a pisstake and it would be made using beer or something. Interesting if the claims are true, may have to give it a try…

jekkyl

wonder if he fills the bottles of jizz himself? theu’ve missed a trick there – ‘peaty’s jizz’ sounds much better! 😛 😯 😐

martinhutch

Considering he already supplies valve covers that look like the end of a bell, I would have thought Jekkyl’s suggestion would have been the obvious one.

chrismac

Given how well stans works I’m not sure what it will do better

oldnpastit

If it really can avoid drying up, and is also biodegradable, then I’ll get some (if I can figure out where to buy it from).

ajantom

Given that the last bicycle related endeavour he endorsed ending up ripping off hundreds of people and scamming £60,000 odd. Then I’m oot.

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

Ajantom- what was that?

bedmaker

One of his colleagues is posting replies in the comments on PB.
    Someone asked whether it would really last 18 months without drying out, he replies that they change tyres every three months…..

Does it really never dry out, or in theory never dry out? If it’s the former, that would be great.

ajantom

Ajantom- what was that?

The ZumZum balance bike on Kickstarter.
    Peat endorsed it, it even got a mention on this site. It hit its targets on Kickstarter, then a lot of lies and dissembling, no bikes sent out and 400 odd people were each £100+ down.
    Peat washed his hands of it, and Kickstarter refused to even look into it.
    A massive con, pure and simple, and in my eyes he was tarnished by it.

Northwind

jekkyl – Member

wonder if he fills the bottles of jizz himself? theu’ve missed a trick there – ‘peaty’s jizz’ sounds much better!

His last product was a really tiny buttplug so…

pnik

Is the implication that Peaty was complicit and benefited from the failed kickstarter? Or was he duped like the investors?

I dont know anything about the story but have respect for peaty, although accept he is keen for a money making opportunity, i don’t think he would knowingly con people out of money. Theres a difference between overpriced stem caps and fraud i think!

ajantom

Is the implication that Peaty was complicit and benefited from the failed kickstarter? Or was he duped like the investors?

I don’t think he was complicit. However, I suspect he would have been paid for his endorsement, and when things went tits up he washed his hands of it pretty quickly.
    Bad choice on his part, but the alacrity with which he got out of Dodge does him little credit in my eyes.
    This of course is all IMO, but I’ll not readily support any of his ventures in future.

benpinnick

Does it really never dry out, or in theory never dry out? If it’s the former, that would be great.

The thing is it has to dry out. There’s no special magic happening in a tyre. The sealant reacts with the air in the tyre, and tyres remain porous at a microscopic level so they dry out as some of the more volatile components of the sealant evaporate through the sidewalls. Thats just the way it is. I have some ‘prototype’ sealant from a manufacturer, which claims the same, but the issue is that it never dries out, inside or outside the tyre. The little blue bits will seal a hole for a while, but while you ride they become dislodged and unseal, and so the whole process starts again – its amazing as long as you own a pump and don’t mind using it.

Im not saying that Peaty’s sealant is bad, just that I’d want my sealant to dry out over time.

cp

I’ve got stans sealant in my xc front wheel which is over 18 months old and still sloshing lots. Stick some blue glitter in and boom, there we have it, Peaty’s special sealant.

oldracer
    Free Member

Stans seems more than adequate..

Not sure the advent of sparkly blue glittery jizz is going to make that of an improvement?

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I’ve used Stan’s before & currently have Joe’s in both tyres, so unless Peaty’s is cheaper, why change? (unless it’s all I can get at a moments notice which why I have Joe’s & not Stan’s)

Skankin_giant
    Free Member

Looks like the a watered down version of the tractor sealant from Mole Valley Farmers with glittery bits.

Northwind

oldracer – Member

Not sure the advent of sparkly blue glittery jizz is going to make that of an improvement?

I can’t remember who suggested it but I started putting glitter in my stans sealant, for porous/hard to seal tyres, it really does make a difference (as far as I can tell it makes no difference with better-sealing tyres, but maybe it helps with holes). Only downside is you end up covered in sparkly vampire jizz when you change a tyre

d4ddydo666
    Free Member

Bump.

How’s your experience of this stuff then? Bought a pouch and it wasn’t staying up very well, added the rest of the pouch and it’s clear the recommendation of half a pouch per tyre is just wrong as plenty of teeny fissures started bubbling happily – seems fine now. (2nd hand Hans Dampfs, 650b 2.35″)

Question is whether to get a litre of same or go for stans for the front

jonundercover
    Free Member

I’m my experience biodegradable usually means crap.

cyclelife
    Free Member

I’ve just built a wheel for someone who gave me Peatys jizz to seal his new tyre, pain on the arse, never had a a problem sealing tyres before it’s way too thick, therefore does not get to the air escapes quickly enough. Needed two pouches to seal a 27.5 x 2.4 and it was still a pain.

Stick to Stans!

cyclelife
    Free Member

I’ve just built a wheel for someone who gave me Peatys jizz to seal his new tyre, pain in the arse, never had a a problem sealing tyres before it’s way too thick, therefore does not get to the air escapes quickly enough. Needed two pouches to seal a 27.5 x 2.4 and it was still a pain.

Stick to Stans!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Peaty's Sealant…’ is closed to new replies.