Viewing 18 posts - 41 through 58 (of 58 total)
  • Peaty !!!
  • ahwiles
    Free Member

(edit) they do wear armour, they’re just selective about it.

helmet, kneck brace (?), knee-pads.

some of them wear even more.

jhw
    Free Member

really?! I always assumed under the shirt they had a full Dainese suit on.

It does look cooler, especially wearing no gloves, but extraordinary to do a WC DH race without protection no?

ahwiles
    Free Member

nah.

i doubt armour would have helped barel, hill, or fairclough.

but a kneck-brace would have helped Dan Atherton.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Lifer
    Free Member

i dont think it makes poor tv, but having exactly the same camera angles for every single rider makes it a bit dull

The cable cam at Mont St Anne was a nice touch I thought, but I think it depends on the venue as to the number of cameras they have. They could have covered every bit of the track on Sunday if they’d had the same number of cameras they had the week before I reckon.

As for the crashes thing, maybe DH skiers aren’t pushing themselves as far as the bikers?

😉

jhw
    Free Member

Probably!

cfinnimore
    Free Member

Gee, not so swell. What’s going on there then?

Blower
    Free Member

I watched the DH last night and whilst I love riding it I came to the conclusion that it doesn’t work on TV. It’s just not that interesting watching another guy go over the same rock garden over and over again. The drops don’t look that big, the speed doesn’t look that fast and it is difficult to tell riders from each other, hell, even the crash wasn’t that spectacular. It’s got no stories or hidden stuff going on, it is a time trial down a hill and for me at least it makes very poor TV.

find it the opposite miself.

nickhead
    Free Member

i doubt armour would have helped barel, hill, or fairclough.

but a kneck-brace would have helped Dan Atherton.

Agreed, except Dan would have to have been wearing a full face helmet too – unlikely on dirt jumps.

Personally, I think DH is better than it’s ever been – the mix of riders and their different personalities, nationalities, backgrounds and riding styles makes it one of the most interesting sports around, especially with the limits they’re taking it to now.

And yes – Peaty is a proper legend; over 15 years at the top, and through so much change and progression in the sport.

billysugger
    Free Member

I was looking forward to catching up today after recording it on Eurosport only to find some boring fat old guys playing snooker.

Nice one Eurosport (again)

nickhead
    Free Member

Just after posting my comment above, I found this post which sums up my feelings about Road/TDF vs. Downhill (and ‘proper’ mountain biking in general) quite succinctly:

The worlds best timetrialists

TheDoctor
    Free Member

Unfortunately DH racing these days is mostly fashion and marketing driven. At least the road/tdf/giro etc is actually about who is the fastest!

lister

REALLY?? I have no idea what kit most of the riders wear, I’m probably up on most of their bikes though.
    Try telling Gwin/Peat/Hart and, well, all of them that it’s not about who is the fastest! What a weird thing to say…

TheDoctor
    Free Member

Yeah Dh was sooooo worried about going faster that they banned skin suits, which make you faster ❗ See marketing and fashion driven!

lister

Didn’t say I agreed with that, nor did many riders, but I think you’ll find they are all in it to win, not look kool and ‘moto’ (whatever that is).
    Piss poor management by the UCI doesn’t make the whole sport less valid than any other time based cyling event…

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member
    nickhead
    Free Member

nice trolling, Doc

transapp
    Free Member

Thought skin suits were banned so riders could wear body armour without a disadvantage. That way crashes would cause less injury. Course, it doesn’t Make a rider wear the armour…
    Think the same is true of border/ski cross

Lifer
    Free Member

Often hear that skin suits are faster for DH but is there any actual evidence for this (like extended trials)? The only thing I see quoted as proof is that Mosely beat Atherton by 4 seconds ‘because she was wearing a skin suit’. But Mosely has beaten her by 4 seconds without the ‘help’ of skins suit on other occasions..?

Viewing 18 posts - 41 through 58 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘Peaty !!!’ is closed to new replies.