Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)
  • Pearl Jam fans
  • xcgb
    Free Member

I am new to PJ can you recommend which albums to start with?

ta

Xc

nols
    Free Member

buy 10 first.

16stonepig
    Free Member

10, VS, Vitalogy. Do it in order.

duckman

What pig said.

xcgb
    Free Member

Fast responses cheers guys!

bikebouy
    Free Member

Yup in that order..

…and PLAY LOUD.

cupra
    Free Member

10, VS, Vitalogy

From great to poor 🙂

DarrenH

Their self titled album is good too ( from 2006 I think)

amplebrew

One of the bands that provided the sound track of my youth 8)

‘Ten’ is fantastic.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZevjN3Nzdxk[/video]

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXUry_EeXQA[/video]

Although I was also listening to a lot of………

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDYTBoJkQSY[/video]

BeardedDave
    Free Member

A shout for the album ‘Yield’, too.

Best live band I’ve ever seen. Should be getting tickets to see them in Amsterdam next June, very soon. 😀

toby1

Also worth grabbing the ‘Into the Wild’ soundtrack for some one on one time with Mr Vedder – it’s excellent!

Personally the only Pearl Jam album I’d dodge is ‘Lost Dogs’ – although there are some worthy tracks on it.

You are about to embark on a fun adventure as there is SO much good music in their back catalogue.

amplebrew

My most played albums in the early ninties were ‘Ten’ and ‘Siamese Dream.’

Having said that two of my most played albums over the last year has been ‘Ten’ and ‘Siamese Dream.’ 😀

The ‘Vs’ album is really good as well.

verses

Ten = Ace
    Vs = Also very good
    Vitalogy = Brilliance mixed with patches of weirdness
    No Code = Avoid at all costs.

I disliked No Code so much that I actively avoided PJ for a few years after that and missed out on some other good albums by them. Fortunately that just means I have more to catch up on now 🙂

Yield and Pearl Jam (self titled) are worth a look from the post-No Code era. Possibly the others too, I’ve yet to explore them 🙂

I saw the PJ20 documentary recently and that’s definitely worth a watch (hopefully Santa’s bringing me it).

verses

Ooo I forgot about Lost Dogs, I know toby1 said to avoid it, but I’m a bit of a B-sides and rarities album fan and I really like it.

ChrisL

Yield’s possibly my favourite.

Ten is the first album and the one that includes the hits that most people know. They re-did the production on it last year, called it Ten Redux. It’s clearer and sounds a bit more like their other albums, I expect though that it’s a personal taste thing whether it’s better that way or not.

Personally, as long as I blank out Heyfoxymophandlemamathatsme (and Bugs, to a much lesser extent) I really like Vitalogy. Vs is a minor evolution from Ten but Vitalogy is a bigger step.

Their live albums are really good too.

xcgb
    Free Member

Cheers guys Ipod is loaded with 10 and VS to help me with a drive tomorrow 🙂

The rest shall follow

verses

It’s slightly OT but…

The girl who got me into Pearl Jam… We’d been together a couple of weeks, all going well, until…

One evening we were messing around, having a laugh, affectionately taking the piss out of each other and generally getting to know one another.

– I asked when her birthday was, she told me.
    – She asked when mine was, I told her.
    – She said “I hate that date”.
    – I missed the change of tone in her voice and assumed this was in the context of taking the piss and I jokingly/sarcastically said “Oh yeah, of course you hate my birthday…”
    – She said “No, I hate that date, it’s the anniversary of when my dad died”.
    – I… continued… to… miss… the… change… of… tone… in… her… voice……

Unsurprisingly, we stopped being a couple very shortly after…

xcgb
    Free Member

Verses
    its all part of being a bloke missing stuff like that, its what we do!

verses

On re-reading it sounds a bit Simon Bate’s Our Tune – it wasn’t meant to it was just a bit of idiocy from my youth 🙂

kerv
    Free Member

Very topical, Mrs kerv and I just bought each other tickets to see them at MEN arena next year. 😀

verses

In other PJ related idiocy from my youth, my “web name” was supposed to be Versus, in homage to the 2nd PJ album, but I typoed it on one of the first web sites I signed up to and it’s stuck 😉

toby1

An old friend has recently named her second child Eddie in support of PJ – commitment.

justatheory
    Free Member

My cat is called Eddie!

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Ive got Yield, Ten, Vs, Backspacer and Vitalogy on me ipod at the moment. To be fair there arent any awful albums. I like No Code! And yes, that PJ 20 documentary is one of the best music films I’ve seen in years, its just a great snapshot of the grunge era. Oh, and get some Soundgarden if you haven’t already. 😉

wrightyson
    Free Member

Go back, go way back,
    Mother love bone first
    Temple of the dog second
    Then onto pearl jam and soundgarden!

franfloydjuka

THE best band in the world – cracking albums, even better live….
    Check out ‘rearviewmirror’ best of / singles etc for a good overview…
    Early stuff is great but the last few albums captures the band at their best.
    So much to go at – it’s all good.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Plus 1 for Temple of the Dog. Awesome record.

duckman

Because of this thread my classes have been “enjoying” various high points….including the live feedback version of RVM. My room; My rules 8)

tjr666
    Free Member

Also for Pearl Jam fans:

http://www.pearljam.com/news/pearl-jam-2012-europeanuk-tour

20th June – M.E.N Arena 🙂

jackthedog
    Free Member

I like No Code too. Just to balance things out a bit.

monkey_boy
    Free Member

big fan here! i’d get them in order….

the pearl jam ‘twenty’ documentary is amazing aswell…. vedder seems to have got younger looking over the 20 years!

V’s is my fav album, “Dissedent and “Elderly Woman Behind the Counter in a Small Town” are epic, also ‘given to fly’ is immense from the album ‘Yield’

one of the very few bands IMO who (using a phrase i hate) ‘kept it real’

if you aint heard of them give ‘stone temple pilots’ a go aswell,

check this out…

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjohnEnCJ6I&feature=related[/video]

geetee1972
    Free Member

Temple of the Dog has to be my all time favourite album and like other poeple here, Ten became something of an anthem for my coming of age.

18, a little (OK a lot) high on cannabis for the fist time, very drunk and in Tijuana, Mexico singing my heart out to Alive.

Inbred456
    Free Member

Watched No Nirvana on BBC a while back, first band on Pearl Jam doing a live version of Alive. Best version I’ve seen. Astoundingly good.

trailmonkey

i remember that No Nirvana program when it was on in the early nineties, best music program i’ve ever seen – astounding line up all playing live 8)

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

i’ve grown up with the sound and I love them. Got tickets today for Manchester. Well chuffed. For me its Vitalogy and Riot Act, but they’ve never released a shit album. As others have said, grab the early stuff and listen to the rest as a band that has mellowed without losing the power.

I am mine – the meaning of life encapsulated in under 4 minutes.

Soak it all up…..then listen to owt by Brad and Satchel

Shawn Smith has the voice of an angel.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Their beer was rather nice, too. Brewed by Dogfish Head.

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=db_DrsQJ6x4[/video]

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

wheres that brew from????

white101

Just went looking for tickets….nowt left for Manchester!!!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

rumbledethumps,

Brewed by Dogfish Head.

🙂

Last time I bought a bottle, it was in here – http://www.bauerwines.com/

It’s a little way to travel, mind you! It’s in Boston. 😉 My local has some Dogfish Head available. Will ask about that one when I next pop in.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘Pearl Jam fans’ is closed to new replies.