Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Pearl Jam
  • P-Jay
    Free Member

Taking a musical stroll down memory lane.

Good aren’t they?

ratherbeintobago

Good aren’t they?

No, apart from the record they made with Neil Young.

bearnecessities

I got a mention on Mark and Lard when as a kid, a friend bought me ‘Alive’ on limited edition blood red vinyl for my birthday.

Starry bra etc

bikebouy
    Free Member

I liked Jeremy and the other one..

Thought they were really raw and talented, then vedder got all.. scawly..

Drac
    bearnecessities

You’re becoming a self fulfilling profecy 🙂

mattyfez

They only covered it, albeit with his blessing.

Although I think I prefer them doing it together rather than either on thier own..

[video]https://youtu.be/hvtdbfI1sqQ[/video]

firestarter
    Free Member

Ten is still a brilliant album

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Matty I think he’s talking about Mirror Ball where they are basically Shakeys backing band.

toby1

I think they meant Mirrorball.

funkmasterp

I love them. One of the best live bands I’ve ever seen and I admire them for attempting to take down ticketmaster and doing their own thing rather than just redoing ten ad infinitum. I really like versus, vitology and the avocado album. One of my friends isn’t a massive fan, but always goes to see them. He says it’s more like a gathering than a gig and really enjoys it.

ratherbeintobago

I meant Mirrorball.

mattyfez

I wonder if he meant mirror ball?

I like a lot of Neil young stuff but thought that was a bit dull personally.

That said I really like pearl jams first couple of albums.

garage-dweller

I got stick earlier in the week for appreciating them – albeit I made a hash of the context I expressed that appreciation in.

Haters are going to hate but yes they are very good and most impressive when I saw them live.

I’ll give the hardcore grunge/metal fans that they aren’t as “edgy” or “loud” as some of the other Seattle stuff but sometimes it’s nice to have something that’s a bit less in your face, intelligent in terms of lyrics and some lovely bass-playing (esp. on Ten). If you like variety in your listening they sit well in the music library.

I also liked the Temple of the Dog thing a lot.

fathomer

Well I like em, quit alot actually.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Not liking them is fair enough, different strokes for different folks; but they’re a very talented bunch of songwriters and musicians, virtually peerless, who played a soundtrack to the lives of millions. Ten and Vs are epic works, then they really grew up between Vitalogy and Binaural. It all sounds a little muted since then, in my opinion, but they’ve still come up with some great tracks. Live, they’re just fantastic. They made at least seven superb studio albums with a huge diversity of tone and tempo – how many bands have managed that? How many bands have managed half of that? Like I said: taste is taste; but you sound like a nob when you pour scorn on Pearl Jam.

CountZero

Yeah, Mirrorball, I’ve got the tour teeshirt. Saw Shakey with Pearl Jam at Reading. Bloody good they were, too.

YoGrant
    Free Member

Infinitely better than Nirvana too. Great band.

stumpy01

I love Pearl Jam. A lot of great stuff, with the odd bit of weirdness thrown in.l

Inbred456
    Free Member

Remember seeing them on No Nirvana on the BBC. They did a live version of Alive. Mike McCready great Strat player.

Fantombiker

Love them. Anyone seen pearljamuk the tribute act? ?They are on tour in November

bigblackshed

I was never the biggest fan of the Seattle bands, I liked bits and pieces, but I always had a soft spot for Pearl Jam.

Ten is still the album of a generation, although the masses will tell you that Nevermind is, and Pearl Jam have matured in to one of the best live bands doing the rounds.

Their last album, Lightening Bolt, is stunningly good.

firestarter
    Free Member

I was once in a bar with a decent musician on doing requests. I asked him for rearviewmirror, he said **** me do you think if I could play that I’d be touring Irish bars full of drunk squaddies in Germany

And the song black is fantastic

DezB
    Free Member

Infinitely better than Nirvana too.

LoLz.
    Pearl Jam bloke’s voice always sounds strained, like he’s putting on some affectation. Can’t listen to it. Whereas Kurt was such a naturally amazing vocalist. Though blah, it’s all old shite anyway.

funkmasterp

Glad to see some appreciation for them on here other than the usual ‘ten was good’ always rated PJ, Soundgarden and Screaming Trees (mainly Dust) over Nirvana.

Nirvana were always not quite Tad or Mudhoney for me.

Though blah, it’s all old shite anyway.

Nowt wrong with appreciation of older music. It’s mainly what drives people to make new music. Nobody starts a band without being influenced by somebody else.

shermer75
    Free Member

I remember getting all a bit gooey when ‘Once’ and ‘Alive’ came out, but it all went a bit downhill after that!!

shermer75
    Free Member

Yep, Eddie Vedder still looks amazing here:

[video]https://youtu.be/qM0zINtulhM[/video]

mark d
    Free Member

I love them but I have just deleted all the ‘live’ albums off Apple Music because when in shuffle mode I get more Eddie Waffle than actual music.
    Jeez, we’ve heard it all before, just play us a song!

votchy
    Free Member

For me they are brilliant, love the way they have grown from seattle grunge band to huge stadium filling rock band. Live they never fail to put on an amazing show.

swavis

Another fan here, I’m hoping to see them live at some point as it’s something I’ve just never got around to.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

They made at least seven superb studio albums with a huge diversity of tone and tempo – how many bands have managed that? How many bands have managed half of that?

None? None bands?

DezB
    Free Member

Nowt wrong with appreciation of older music

Yeah, true. I just didn’t want to get into an argument about something I no longer really cared about!

(yeah, don’t post then 😆 )

ratherbeintobago

Screaming Trees (mainly Dust)

Dust is a work of genius.

northerntom
    Free Member

I love a lot of the seattle late 80’s early 90’s. But Soundgarden and Pearl Jam stand out for me. Also Temple of the dog album has been on repeat in my car for about 4 months, it’s a special album.

Vedders soundtrack to into the wild is also a great piece of music.

I’ve always thought the comparison against Nirvana is unnecessary, they’re all good. What’s wrong with having more good things.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Nowt wrong with appreciation of older music

Many ‘music-lovers’ (no reference to anyone here) purchase music in a way that fashion-lovers buy clothes. New is essential. Old is meh. Unless it’s old-new -‘ie a new artist doing old’ stuff, no matter how poorly and devoid of context/sincerity. A little like the popular fiction vs classical literature thing. ‘Old music’ (in the eyes of the young or of those trying to hold on to this particular quality of youth) is compartmentalised away with ‘old people’. So while (say) Nina Simone’s words and sentiment about ‘Mississippi’ are still glaringly relevant today, and even if her musical talent far and away outstrips any handful of whining, self-conscious, vapid millennial mannikins …. she’s ‘old music’. For old people. See also any recording artist up until last Thursday. Some will only measure talent and sentiment by the clothes it wears.

It’s a tragedy of the age. IMO. But then again, I’m old.

I’ve always thought the comparison against Nirvana is unnecessary, they’re all good. What’s wrong with having more good things

Because tribalism amd identity politics.

Oasis vs Blur
    Marmite vs Bovril

northerntom
    Free Member

It’s a tragedy of the age. IMO. But then again, I’m old.

Don’t think you’re particularly right. There has always been mainstream popular music. I grew up listening to Led Zep, Pink Floyd, The doors etc in the 90’s. I now listen to a lot of old blues from the 30’s/40’s.

Good music is and will always be good, whether it’s a week old or 300 years old. I think most people appreciate that.

DezB
    Free Member

Hence, the massive variety from all eras on this thread 😉

ChrisL

I’m a fan, and a fan of more than just Ten. Nirvana never really clicked with me but I’ve been a fairly steady fan of Pearl Jam for quite a while. Not really managed to gel with Lightning Bolt, though.

I really like their live albums but weirdly the one time I saw them live, in Hyde Park in 2010, left me thinking something was missing. They were really good, they’re obviously very practised and experienced at playing live, but that meant it lacked the feeling of uniqueness that for me is part of the magic of seeing live music. Some bands manage this by being a little bit shambolic but others are obviously knowing exactly what they’re doing but still manage to make it seem like you’re experiencing a one-off event. In some ways Pearl Jam live are just a little bit too much like listening to one of their live albums.

trailwagger
    Free Member

I urge all Eddie fans to check out his soundtrack to “Into the Wild”, its amazing!

firestarter
    Free Member

And ukulele songs

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Pearl Jam’ is closed to new replies.