Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • peaks tomorrow
  • Onzadog
    Free Member

Looking for suggestions at the where might be high enough to drain well but low enough to keep out of the worst of the wind.

Cheers.

crazy-legs

Nowhere round here (Hayfield way) – it’s been raining ALL day, the rivers are really high and the moorland will be a total quagmire.

HTH… 😉

sambob
    Free Member

Jacobs loop isn’t muddy, just rocky, so that might not be to bad? Apart from Rushup edge anyway.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Cheers crazy legs. Sam, thought about something around there or ladybower but I think both might suffer in the high winds.

Adders

Head down and east. I’ve always had better weather around Bakewell and Chatsworth because it’s over on the east side of the peaks, so gets much less rain compared to the west such as Edale/Hope etc.

elaineanne
    Free Member

never been to peaks riding…but interested in that jacobs loop… is it limestone trails…

highclimber
    Free Member

[pedantry]it’s Peak (singular) not Peaks. [pedantry]

Onzadog
    Free Member

Isn’t chatswoth and around going to be a soggy this time of year? I’d be happy to give it a go if it’s not.

slowrider
    Free Member

Elaine Anne, it’s more grit/sandstone and the like

Adders

I was there 2 or 3 weeks back. While there were lots of boggy patches and a particularly sticky turnip field, we didn’t get rained on, unlike the Hope/Edale side. Muddy though, as you say.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

pedantry regarding closing tag, it’d be [/pedantry] 😉

cuckoo
    Free Member

Isn’t chatswoth and around going to be a soggy this time of year? I’d be happy to give it a go if it’s not

River Wye at Bakewell has a flood warning out at the moment. River Derwent at Chatsworth is just a flood alert.

I would imagine tomorrow would be one of the worst days of the year for muddy trails round there.

nbt

We drove to buxton for the day. The “streams” were raging torrents, loads of fields were underwater, even watercourses that have been dry for years were running. A good choice to stay off the bike, methinks

sambob
    Free Member

That Jacobs loop should generally be going across the wind or with it, so it should be alright 🙂

Stainypants

Macc forest and buxton / goyt valley are always quite weatherproof.

highclimber
    Free Member

pedantry regarding closing tag, it’d be [/pedantry]

god damned sticky keys!!

Onzadog
    Free Member

I tally don’t want to know why your keys are sticky.

Getting picked up in an hour and still not sure where to ride.

crazy-legs

Not round here, it’s vile weather! Honestly, as NBT says, even the rocky trails are rivers at the moment.

Go somewhere like CyB or Llandegla with all weather/armoured trails.

mjb

But there’s two of them!

Onzadog
    Free Member

I would but we’re in nottingham and only have a few hours to spare.

ChrisA
    Free Member

Same problem for me too, I’m Nottingham and was going to head to the peak or Dalby today. Looks like it’ll be Sherwood pines and bridleways roundabout instead though if it’s not worth the drive to the peak at the moment.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I’d assumed pines would be a swampfest right now.

slowrider
    Free Member

DONT go to llandegla, its closed due to weather

ChrisA
    Free Member

Depends if your going to do the kitchner or ride other singletrack.

Kitchner will definitely be a ditch at the moment.

The past few weeks I would have thought it would be too but it’s been surprisingly unsticky mud!! The tree felling / logging is a bit annoying though!

The bridleways in the area will be fine too though.

highclimber
    Free Member

But there’s two of them!

the name ‘Peak’ doesn’t refer to the topography of the area, its an anglicasised name relating to the tribes that inhabited the area.

flyingmonkeycorps

We rode round Ladybower. It was a bit moist in places, and the exposed bits were no fun, but all in all a good day was had!

slowrider
    Free Member

There is the dark and White peak though, hence there being two of them.

Went out today, shouldnt have bothered!

DWH
    Free Member

I did Hope, Roman Road, Potato Alley, Concrete Switchbacks, Lockerbook today and it was a bit breezy but not really muddy at all.

Onzadog
    Free Member

We did a little one around Bakewell. It was windy and a little soggy under tyre but not as bad as I expected. Good day out actually.

highclimber
    Free Member

there is only one Peak District National Park

Onzadog
    Free Member

highclimber – Member

there is only one Peak District National Park

He’s right you know. It’s know locally as “the peaks”. 😉

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘peaks tomorrow’ is closed to new replies.