Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Peaks route advice
  • jsync

Hi,

I’m thinking of doing a Peaks ride this Sat, what are peoples thoughts on this Hope triple 8

Thanks

Kev

flyingmonkeycorps

Looks ok, but you’re going up the Beast which is definitely the wrong way to do it.

jsync

Ah, OK. If you are able to, can you suggest an amendment to the route?

Thanks,

flyingmonkeycorps

Depends what kind of riding you want really. I’d be tempted to go down the Beast (2-6) then turn left on the road to pick up the climb back up to 3. Though to be fair the Blackley Hey descent is pretty good too.

I’d also probably head up the other side of Derwent Valley to Whinstone Lee Tor and the cheeky unmarked descent back down to the pub. Then across the bridge / dam and up to the Roman Road by Wooler Knoll.

jsync

Thanks again for the input. I think I might try 2-6 and either:

– back up the beast to 2
    – right on the A57 a few metres then back up to 2
    – left on the A57 then back up to 2

Then carry on the indicated route

siloseven
    Free Member

looks like a fairly good route. I prefer Blackley Hey (potato alley) to the Beast as it’s a bit faster – Beast is just too rocky to really fly down (although I’m sure some do). Personally I wouldn’t bother with the Hope side of things and just do Aston – Hope Cross – Blackey Hey (or Beast) – Rowley Farm – Lockerbrook / Nabs Wood – Fairholmes for a bite to eat – slab climb up to Winstone Lee Tor and down either Alpine (cheeky) or Cutthroat bridge depending on which way the wind is blowing. Did this one today, it’s ace

jsync

Completed the route at the weekend, so a bit of feedback for others. For about 3/4 of the ride it’s a good and there’s plenty to keep you entertained. Pushing up the beast seems a waste so I’d look in to trying to modify the route for that part. The climb to Hollins Cross is tricky and was is some pushing (for me), but after that it’s a bit meh, the descent was not enough reward for the climb – It looked more interesting up on the ridge – and the road back from Castleton to Hope is over quick enough but it’s road nonetheless. So in future I’d probably continue towards Lose Hill and then down to Hope from there.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Peaks route advice’ is closed to new replies.