Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Peaks Riders – Routes That Take In Stanage Edge?
  • DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Afternoon all.
    Just wondering if anyone can reccommend a decent 2 or 3 hour blast that takes in some fun stuff around Stanage Edge including the big slabbed descent I’ve seen in a million pics but never ridden!

What are the trails around there like at this time of year?

Dave

Pook

v boggy between the rocks but generally ok on the stones. Trouble is with Stanage is that there’s no decent access across the top. In fact, there’s only about 400yds of bridleway on the edge itself. Worth getting up there for the decent though.

Email coming your way.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Will do Pook.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    cuckoo
    Free Member

What are the trails around there like at this time of year?

Under about 40cm of snow at the moment I would imagine!

When its gone as Pook says though.

ahwiles
    Free Member

the stanage descent is bit tricky to fit into a shortish ride, if i had to, i’d turn left at the bottom, at the road, and climb up towards the ‘popular end’ car park,

(i think i’d probably start my loop here – if i didn’t live nearby)

carry on up the hill – on road – all the way.

keep going.

(on road) eventually turn right on the byway that cuts across the top of lady cannings plantation,

(off road)follow this all the way to the tarmac road – turn right

(on road) at the end of the road turn right at the T-junction

(on road) after 5mins turn left onto the bridleway

(off road) follow the bridleway down – quite a nice one this

(on road) back up to the hathersage road – you’ve been here before

(on road) turn right, then left (look familiar?), all the way to the junction at the norfolk arms

(on road) turn left, and right, past the alpacca farm, and keep going

keep going

(off road) turn left through the long cow-poo puddle, and down towards the water works

(on road) turn left, and ride past the reservoir

(off road) climb up the unsurfaced road, through the gate and keep going to stanage pole

you’re at the top of the slabby descent – the 2nd best corner in the peak district – but the most photogenic

(off road) ride down the bridleway – shouting cheery ‘Hello!’s to the grumpy walkers who WILL tell you off for riding on a footpath (it’s a bridleway)

and that’s a loop (once you’ve ridden back up the hill to your car)

it’s not a great loop, far too much road for me to recommend it, but you did ask…

(you could turn right at the end of the slabby descent, and work your way over/down towards Ladybower, but that’s no longer a 3 hour ride)

Blower
    Free Member

only a short descent that dave.

thepodge
    Free Member

I’d say the same as Adam but go across Houndkirk Moor to cut out the road.

monksie
    Free Member

I was up there today for my annual 30th birthday ride. It was a nice walk 🙁

thepodge
    Free Member

You have a 30th birthday every year?

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I know Marcus but it looks sweet so was thinking link it up into a short’ish blast taking in some more funky bits. Not sure if its possible or not…

Cheers for the comments guys – I’ll check em on out a map (and I still need to mail you Pook).

monksie
    Free Member

It was a joke. I mean it is my birthday and I went for a ride from Redmires to Outside Cafe and back but the annual 30th was the joke bit.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Peaks Riders – Routes That Take In Stanage Edge?’ is closed to new replies.