• This topic has 37 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by hora.
Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Peaks Ride Advice – Jacobs Ladder?
  • MartinGT
    Free Member

Hi Guys

A friend and I are biking in the Peaks at the end of the month. The only time I have biked there was around Ladybower.

I wouldnt mind doing a ride that takes in Jacobs Ladder as I have been informed its a good area.

So guys, over to you

Can you please reccommend me a loop that takes this in? A link maybe?

TIA

scruff
    Free Member

Plenty on Tinterweb, google for a few options.

BigJohn

Some great peak routes here including Edale and Jacobs Ladder.

http://www.mountainbikerides.co.uk

Last month I did half of his Jacob and half his Hope triple 8. Edale, Mam Tor, Rushup, Cavedale, Hope, Beast Edale and it was fab.

dawson

i did jacobs ladder last week with Squiff.

Started at Edale and went up Jacobs Ladder and then along Rushup edge.

If i did it again I might do the route in the other direction.

BigJohn

It’s a very long walk from Hayfield up to Jacobs.

thefallguy
    Free Member

I can email you a map if you’re interested?

Park at Barber Booth > Jacobs Ladder > Edale Cross to Kinder Low > Kinder Reservoir > Middle Moor > Hayfield > Coldwell Clough > Mount Famine > Roych Clough > Rushup Edge > Mam Tor > Hollins Cross > Edale > Barber Booth

poisonspider
    Free Member

Second the mountainbikerides.co.uk shout.

benjag
    Free Member

I would say that jacobs and rushup + roych are best done as downhills (defo rushup as I think it’s one of the best in the peak)

BigJohn

Here’s a ling to that ride that includes 2 excellent descents, Cavedale and the Beast

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/5074790

dogthomson

thefallguy, any chance you can email that to me? alynthomashodgson at gmail dot com

thefallguy
    Free Member

Benjag- I’d have to disagree about Jacobs (short walk v long walk!) been best as a down, too short and steep (for me) where the rundown from the other side goes on and on :D, roych is great either direction and fair point about rushup methinks

thefallguy
    Free Member

dogthomson – ygm

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Jacobs is best EtoW, super rocky top section (sorts the flat pedal riders form the delluded SPD brigade), folowed by super fast landrover track, followed by those jumps (after the road section) heading into the woods at the end!

Do a loop through the village and theres a cracking short sharp decent back to the jumpy bit, turn right and retrace rour steps, but fork right and take the track up the hill rather than following the road left back up jacobs.

Follow the track/roads to chappel gate, then theres the option of doing 2/3 decents of mamm torr without repeating too much if you still have the energy.

MartinGT
    Free Member

Well I am part of the “delluded SPD” brigade and dust many a person on flats 😉 but hey, each to their own 🙂

Now, thefallguy, if you could send me that it would be much appreciated 🙂

thefallguy
    Free Member

Martin what’s your email? Can’t see it in your profile

theflatboy
    Free Member

that route on mountain bike rides looks decent. bookmark to self. 🙂

simonfbarnes
    Free Member
    theflatboy
    Free Member

simonf – that noe valley panorama is beautiful 🙂

devs
    Free Member

Are you serious? I’m not the most gifted or fit rider in the world and I rode 99pc of it on my Nomad. I’d clean it with a bit of training i reckon, there’s tougher stuff out there.

devs
    Free Member

Simon that’s almost the same route I did last summer except we went a different way off Hollins and through Castleton. I think we picked the dry sunny day as it was ace.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

well the only times i’ve been over it the SPD riders were slower and crashed more.

Its the kind of rocky that sapps your speed unless your going fast enough to hover over the top of it, and the SPD riders just seemed to get upto speed, then stack. whereas the riders on flats could dab, put in couple of crank turns and be up to speed again.

That and the flat riders seemed to have the confidence to ride faster (almost exponentialy, once you sped up it was easy, so you went even faster) knowing they could dab even if they didnt, the SPD brigade ended up unclipping and ballancing on the pedals, resulting in even more spills!

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

simonf – that noe valley panorama is beautiful

cheers, apart from the quality of riding, it’s worth going that way just to take in the view better 🙂

I’m not the most gifted or fit rider in the world and I rode 99pc of it on my Nomad

well, you must be quite good – I reckon to ride about 80% of it ie 100% (if lucky) from Coldwell to Kinderlow End, and about 60% from there to the top :o)

thefallguy
    Free Member

I don’t unclip till I hit the ground… 🙁

Being an Spd user, I feel faster and more confident to push harder than if I were on flats, from the top of hope cross to hayfield you shouldn’t need to dab anyway, but it’s prob why I dont like going down Jacobs that much

hora
    Free Member

Are you serious? I’m not the most gifted or fit rider in the world and I rode 99pc of it on my Nomad. I’d clean it with a bit of training i reckon, there’s tougher stuff out there.

I should know. I managed to get lost TWICE and ended up down in Hayfield- Missed the turning right at the old ramshackle farm buildings- went straight down the tarmac steep road. Then rode back up- turned- and went down again next to the campsite. Climbed back up and by this point I was cramping up- so walked most of Jacobs Ladder up- kept on falling off sideways with exhaustion when spinning out! Still I rode down the otherside and over the loose bits on my Chameleon 😀

Cracking ride- VGraphics have the route in their book. Its Edale-Hollins Cross/Mam Tor/Rushop Edge then onto Jacobs- to edale. Took me 5hours (dont laugh!)

owenfackrell
    Free Member

I have riden both up and down jacobs and the track on the far side(from edale) and can ride up 90% using spd’s though not with out dabs and the only time a came off going down was due to ice.
    I can’t decide which way i like the riding there though as both directions have there challanges be it in decending or climbing.

YoungDaveriley
    Free Member

Spuds v flats? A good rider on either will be quicker than a mediocre/poor rider on the opposite.
    BTW,I’m very firmly in the mediocre category.

hora
    Free Member

http://www.bogtrotters.org/show_album_shot.php?album_id=972&pic_ident=55

A couple of months later and that bit was full of loose large stones! Well it seemed thay way to me 🙂

Same with the prev shot of the start of Jacobs Ladder- I remember it being alot more ‘core’ than I will ever be!

SFB- Well done Jedi Master with the shots of ‘Totty’

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Well done Jedi Master with the shots of ‘Totty’

and thanks to the totty-girls for tolerating my intrusive camerawork :o)

hora
    Free Member

They are your muses….but no more pics of your naked-hairiness please 😮

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

but no more pics of your naked-hairiness please

you do realise the more people tell me not to do a thing the more I want to ?

hora
    Free Member

My eyes still hurt

Another shot of Jacobs from the top

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

a dirty old man:

hora
    Free Member

TheArtistFormerlyKnownAsSTR I would have not ridden down the first part of JL if it was like that. I literally pooped myself on the first part on my hardtail as it was in the bone-dry

Hora – just call me STR (Singletrackrocks as was).

Twas awesome – scary at the top, but there’s no need for any severe braking. The walkers further down were a bigger hazard.

We was fast.

Moomin
    Free Member
    crazy-legs

I prefer Jacobs as a climb (walk/push…), doing the route that way generally gives better descents elsewhere.
    The Vertebrate Graphics book has some good routes in it (it suggests doing JL as a descent but admits it’s good either way).

Try and fit in a descent of Cavedale (into Castleton), it’s one of the best in the Peaks IMHO. 🙂

hora
    Free Member

The bit before the Fjord is magical- if that makes sense? Step downs- getting faster- all very rollable.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Peaks Ride Advice – Jacobs Ladder?’ is closed to new replies.