• This topic has 458 replies, 96 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by Pook.
Viewing 40 posts - 241 through 280 (of 459 total)
  • PEAKS POOTLE: DECEMBER 1ST, 10AM
  • danielgroves
    Free Member

Damn, wrong end of the country 😉

Now on a serious note, everyone who can make it I am rather jealous of where you live.

dawson

@pook – YGM

bikebouy
    Free Member

Is there anything resembling a conditions update, I’ll be hacking the rigid SS..
    Ta.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    rogerthecat
    Free Member

@bikebuoy – me too, I’m riding some of it tonight so will report back (also on rigid SS), but Pook’s route is the best of the trails for the moist conditions – but not for SS Knees!

Although there was a good frost this morning so if the temp keeps dropping it could be cracking.

sambob
    Free Member

At uni until the 18th-ish of december so won’t be able to make it, have a good one all!

thepodge
    Free Member

I’ll be scouting the first half of the route on a SS ht on Friday afternoon to double check conditions

Any bike is suitable, though a good few sections will be rocks, it depends more on your wrists

justridemtb
    Free Member

I am hoping to come along, but have a must not miss appointment in Holmfirth at 5 (8yo daughters dance show). Any idea of a finishing time? Rough estimates are all I expect!

thepodge
    Free Member

If everyone turns up you’ll not be home before Tuesday

Lots of people means lots of delays

I’d say the average pootle fitness person would be looking at 3 hours on a good day in a small group

Add in any number of mechanicals & cake stops I’d estimate 4 hours minimum, weather could extend it further

Pook

Yeah podge is about right. The big group makes it slower but I can always advise on escape routes if needed.

justridemtb
    Free Member

Thanks guys. I’ll be there on my new steed, SS karate monkey.

dazh

Looks like I’ll be bringing about 4 people with me (2 of which lurk on here, but don’t post). I have warned them about the cake requirement. No need to worry about them going too fast though 🙂

thepodge
    Free Member

Getting that many people through the first gate is going to take an hour all by it’s self

oldboy
    Free Member

If I climb off my bike (because my knees are f***ked) and push on the serious technical sections will I be alone?

thepodge
    Free Member

Up hill, no

Down hill, maybe

jameswilliams54
    Free Member

I’ll be out providing I can throw the man flue, hoping to drag some Sheff and lincs guys out to.
    Cup cakes in the oven tomorrow.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

May be a few coming with me.
    It’s not going to be a quick ride but it will be fun.
    There will be lots of pushing up hills.

6hours
    Free Member

I’m one of the Lincs guys referred to by jameswilliams54, there’s likely to be at least 2 of us. It will be good to escape from the flatlands and sticky clay again.

hsmith
    Free Member

I’m tempted to join you Pook but I’ve only got my gay pink bike, not really suitable for XC riding!

solarpowered
    Free Member

I’ve been a bit worried about this…. You know, with 70+ people! But…. The more I think about it, the more I realise that it’s just going to take a long time!!!! And we all get to speak to everyone as we go! 😀
    And fwiw – I would love to make some nice gluten free yummy bits for after but I’m flat out this week so I’m sorry all you coeliacs out there!

solarpowered
    Free Member

hsmith – Member
    I’m tempted to join you Pook but I’ve only got my gay pink bike, not really suitable for XC riding!
    POSTED 7 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

It’s ok!!!! I have pink bits on my bike so it won’t look out of place at all!

thepodge
    Free Member

Chris has pink bits on his too

thepodge
    Free Member

If anyone has any walkie talkies or similar can Pook & I borrow them so we can keep track of front & back markers, some of the route isn’t covered by phone or internet signal

Thanks

nbt

This is Broadsword calling Danny-boy. This is Broadsword calling Danny-boy. Are you receiving me, over?

I’ve a pair of motorola walkie-talkies. I’ll make sure the batteries are charged up

Pook

Ooh what moniker can I have?

Sandwich

The Sunday Ramblers are going to be a little unhappy aren’t they?

Pook

If my budding plan works out – not so much. But it is a concern I have.

Some of you may be relieved to hear I can’t make this now – going down to Essex to pick up our two new miniature Beagle pups

bigdean

I should be able “borrow” the radios from the mrs running club.
    Confirm tomorrow.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Just back from a quick spin around the valley, we opted not to do the route as we’ll be doing it on Sunday but we were on trails nearby and they are wet, muddy and there is quite a bit of standing water about the place.
    It was warm tonight and sufficient cloud cover to prevent a decent frost.

Pook

Str…. Can I come?

Haha – wondering what you’ve gotten yourself into Pook?

Pook

My record is 38. This is the next level.

binners

If it helps on numbers, I now won’t be able to make it. My knee is absolutely buggered. I suppose I could do a Hora and turn up without a bike, just to soak up the ambiance*

Actually, looking at the numbers, and the inevitable vortex of faffing you’ll be sucked into, I could probably walk/hobble round quicker 😉

* he has actually done this

Pook

Sorry to disappoint folks, but Hora has just cried off.

BadlyWiredDog

I’m cunningly leaving the country for this, but I wonder if it might make sense for you to split into several smaller groups and take slightly different routes with a pre-planned lunch RV or similar where you could always ‘re-group’ into slightly different factions.

I’m sure you’ve thought it through anyway, but I’m thinking no so much of the folk on the Pootle, but others using the trails at the same time. Anyway, just a thought.

thepodge
    Free Member

BWD, plans are afoot or should that be awheel?

We’ve all clocked that ~100 people on the same trail at once isn’t possibly the brightest move

thepodge
    Free Member

Oh and if everyone could carry their own spares that’d be good, stopping 10 people to ask for a chain link / pump etc will cause lots of issues

Pook

Yep. Lots of back room discussion about plan b and plan c.

We think we’ve worked something out

hora
    Free Member

* he has actually done this

Promised someone a lift and kept my word. If I hadn’t the bloke wouldn’t have been able to do the ride…. plus it meant a hoon back in a Mini Cooper at the time…. 8)

I still have a really bad chest. Don’t want to upsur my recovery. Have a great one.

rOcKeTdOg

Sounds crowded, 18 of us at Cannock seemed too many on Sunday

Viewing 40 posts - 241 through 280 (of 459 total)

The topic ‘PEAKS POOTLE: DECEMBER 1ST, 10AM’ is closed to new replies.