Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Peaks Or Dales Routes – Any Must Do Rides?
  • DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

OK, got a free weekend coming up and we’re thinking about riding something new. Despite living smack bang inbetween the Peaks and the Dales, we rarely ride either so, are there any top notch all day rides, perhaps with a pub/cafe stop en-route we should be doing?

Peaks I’m thinking of starting something from near Sheffield or Ladybower (maybe not Cut Gate though as thats the only Peaks ride I’ve ever done so want something new but in the same area?).

Dales, starting from Settle area I guess.

Any ideas?

Cheers
    Dave

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

* just thought, Dales rides, something from Harrogate/Pately Bridge’ish would also work well.

Or is there a good all-dayer from the Dales Bike Centre?

Cowman

The Nidderdale Classic is fantastic from just N of Pately Bridge.

http://www.nidderdaleaonb.org.uk/Documents/Cycling%20Routes/Tour%20of%20Nidderdale_web.pdf

But I start in Ramsgill for a better ride.

jekkyl

there’s never been any threads about routes in the peak so this is a great question to ask. 😐

whitestone
    Free Member

There was a thread recently asking for a route from Gunnerside but to adjust it to start at DBC: up Fremington Edge and over to Hurst; west to Langthwaite then up on to Great Pinseat; across to Gunnerside mines; down to Gunnerside; alongside Swale back to DBC. The current MBR has this as one of their mapped routes. If you want to extend it then cut up on to Harkerside before the last bit of BW to DBC then head round to Apedale and down this to the four way junction of tracks and turn left to get back over to Grinton and DBC.

Was on part of the above Nidderdale loop a few weeks ago, the steep climb out of Woo Gill (roughly number 2 on the map in the PDF) used to be rubble, it’s now been concreted over but is covered in grit – it’s like trying to ride on ball bearings!

martinhutch

it’s now been concreted over but is covered in grit – it’s like trying to ride on ball bearings!

Just adds to the challenge!*

*I managed about four feet. I was even in the right gear for a change.

whitestone
    Free Member

We were heading towards Scar House, brakes made no difference – I just went downhill sideways instead of forwards 🙄

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

The Nidderdale Classic is fantastic from just N of Pately Bridge.

That’s 15 miles, hardly an all dayer is it?.

The Edge might be what Whitestone is on about. http://www.yorkshiredales.org.uk/visit-the-dales/get-outdoors-dales/mountain-biking/mountain-biking-routes/mtb-routes/mtb-route-edge/mtb-the_edge.pdf

DBW Have you done the one that starts in Addingham – Skipton – Flasby – Rylstone – Bolton Abbey – Addingham ??

Cowman

No your right, a poor suggestion.

whitestone
    Free Member

@Banana

Yes, that’s the route. There’s a bit of difference between the “steep descent” down to Langthwaite and that down to Gunnerside Gill 😯

martinhutch

You can extend the Nidderdale ride northwards from Scar House for a longer day. The only pub en route is the one in Middlesmoor unless you do this, which seems a bit early in the loop…

Swaledale is a better bet, I reckon. Pub in Gunnerside before the ‘fun’ climb up past Summer Lodge.

http://www.yorkshiredales.org.uk/visit-the-dales/get-outdoors-dales/mountain-biking/mountain-biking-routes/mtb-routes/mtb-route-granddayout/mtb-a_grand_day_out.pdf

This one’s a bit longer – and you can carry on the main descent to find the pub in Bainbridge at about the halfway mark. Lot more XC in nature. Hardy souls can go back via Horsehouse and Foxup rather than the long drag up Langstrothdale, presuming it’s dried out a bit.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

No your right, a poor suggestion.

In fairness, it can be extended to a bigger ride from Pateley if necessary, I’d do the same round as you tho as that is the best bits.

carlos
    Free Member

For balance a ride in The Peak

Not a MUST DO, but takes in most of the good stuff and is a bit longer than a poxy 15 miles 😉

Park in Bamford, Hurst Clough and then up the Roman Road onto Stanage Edge, Descend through Stanage Plantation, Drop into Hathersage and out past the craft centre, Turn right opposite the pub and then towards Offerton Hall, Bridleway up onto Shatton Moor, Descend into Bradwell, Behind the cement works, Climb Pindale, Dirtlow Rake, Descend Cavedale, Climb the Broken Road, Rushup Edge, Roych Clough, Coldwell Clough, Climb the back of Jacobs, drop into Barbour Booth, Climb to Hollins Cross, Descend back to Edale, Jaggers Clough, *Left at Hope Cross, Lockerbrook and Gores Farms, Fairholmes, Derwent Edge, Whitstone Lee Tor and back to Bamford.

*Straight on and down the Beast, round the Reservoir if your legs are heavy and tarmac into Bamford

For a pub/Cafe stop drop through the Campsite into Hayfield

Carlos

Pook

^ nice loop that Carlos

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

The Sheffield publisher vertebrate media do some quality books with os maps. Etc
    Ridden quite a number of the West Yorkshire books routes and plan to ride the southern dales and more of the dark peaks later in the year, I’ve picked up most of the books new £6-8 delivered

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Peak-District-Mountain-Biking-Trails/dp/190614818X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1460400760&sr=8-1&keywords=Dark+peaks+mountain

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Cheers all, some good sounding options there. Will take a better look at those.

thepodge
    Free Member

whatyadoinsucka – The Sheffield publisher vertebrate media

Buy it direct from them not some shonky tax avoiding conglomerate

https://www.v-publishing.co.uk/books/categories/mountain-biking/peak-district-mountain-biking.html

whitestone
    Free Member

Missed the “Settle area” bit 🙄

In that area you have the tour of Ingleborough as well as rides over towards Malham – there’s a reasonable network of bridleways in that area so not too hard to work out a long ride, on a map look at the area enclosed by Settle, Horton, Halton Gill, Kilnsey, Gargrave, Long Preston.

If you don’t know the area then most of the bridleways are old farm or mining tracks or routes associated with the old abbeys. There are technical sections but they are few and far between, think old-school mountain biking and you won’t be far off. One advantage of this is that they are reasonably weather proof, there are boggy sections and prolonged rain can make grassy sections heavy going but generally you can get a decent route done whatever. The Vertebrate guides are a good starting point, get a map and trace them out and you can see possibilities to link them up.

Rik
    Free Member

Yorkshire – Grand Day Out

Looks like a great route – would this be doable or more importantly enjoyable on a cross bike (or fully rigid mtb). As if like to do an ‘off road/gravel’ ride on the Sat then change tyres and do a proper road ride on the Sunday

martinhutch

Looks like a great route – would this be doable or more importantly enjoyable on a cross bike (or fully rigid mtb)

Pretty much. The bulk is on very good tracks or tarmac. There are some short sections of slightly lumpier stuff on the main descent from Cam End (and your wrists may suffer a bit because it’s pretty rattly for over a mile), at Gilbert Lane and a very short section of baby-head rock stuff going into Horton.

If you just want to cover ground reasonably quickly and get good views, it’s a great route. The only difference is to keep going on the byway from Cam Fell all the way into Bainbridge, then you can choose to either climb up via Semer Water or Carpley Green to rejoin.

sofaboy73
    Free Member

In the peak, the edale loop is one of my favourites (in vertabrate dark peak book mentioned above). Only 12 miles, but always feels longer! Just make sure you do it clockwise and descend Jacobs ladder – why anyone would do it the other way round is beyond me. The loop on the tops round deferent & lady bower is also cracking – around 15 miles with a cafe half way round!

Dyffers
    Free Member

Thread resurrection (see, I can use the search forum!):

I’m in the Peak District on hols next week. Carlos, you’r loop sounds like just what I’m after for a day out; I’ve had a good look at the route using OS maps but just to make sure you wouldn’t happen to have a gpx file for that would you? My email’s in my profile if so. Ta.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Peaks Or Dales Routes – Any Must Do Rides?’ is closed to new replies.