Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Peaks Help – win hill?
  • oscillatewildly
    Free Member

where on earth is this sublime riding? and how on earth do i get to it 🙁

it looks pretty ace, i ride quite abit around there, but never done this before? is it illegal or just a hidden treasure? any links to where it is on a map and where to follow appreciated 🙂

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

basically i guess i really wanna know where does this decent start on a map? anyone? 🙂

BadlyWiredDog

You can’t be serious – you ride in the Peak and you don’t know where that is? [sorry, surprise, not sneering]

steveh

That just looks like the top way around to hope cross to me. Find thornhill on the map and there is a bridleway that starts from further along the road toward hope. It goes up to a farm on road then works it’s way around the side of win hill while climbing. You don’t make the summit but pretty high up. This the runs along near the tree line and drops in to the track up to hope cross from near the bridge in hope just before the top.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

BWD – ive just watched the video in full, i realise now where it joins up to the track near the end of the video, i usually come in half way up it from the forest/tree area…

i have no idea where the start of that is though? ive never descended nor climbed that side as far as i know…..

BadlyWiredDog

It’s an extended version of the track that goes down from the top of Hope Brink to the junction with the Roman Road above Hope, looks like they started from the top of Wyn Hill, which is footpath, but just the same as the track beyond the er, cairn, at the top of the Bridleway junction. Wyn Hill itself is quite nice. The way down the other side is ‘interesting’.

So…basically find the trig point on Wyn Hill and down from there.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

cheers BWD and others 🙂

so basically how do i get upto win hill trig point? from say ladybower side? is it possible or not? wouldnt mind doing the whole descent as they have done from the same start point, but i dont have a clue how to get there?

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

so is there no ‘legal’ way to get to win hill on a bike then from either direction? is the whole of that video illegal riding so to speak? cant see why as its a wide enough track that looks pretty much the same as roman road!?!?!?!

JonEdwards
    Free Member

To the top, legally? No. You can get to the mid point from teh bridleway out of Aston from the Hope side, or you can come up from the Ladybower side a little further down, using one of teh permissive b/ways.

There are other ways up (and down 😀 ) the hill though, but I’ll leave you to work them out!

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

hmmm guessing they are all footpaths then? seems silly considering it joins roman road and the likes which are all pretty easy going width wise, cant really understand why it cant be the same there 🙁

so from the video i posted, where abouts from the trig point at win hill are those guys starting from? assuming its not the trig point their start? any ideas?

wheres the legal way to join half way? you mean at hope brink?

BadlyWiredDog

It’s just the continuation of the track that leads up from the Roman Road to Hope Brink. Instead of turning off right to go down, carry on along the main track. Eventually you come to the summit of Win Hill, a rocky thing with a trig point on it. Turn round and go back the way you came up. It’s really obvious on the ground and on a map.

And yes, there’s no particular reason why one part of that track is a bridleway and one part is a footpath, but that’s our ridiculous, antiquated, rights of way system for you 😉

And yes, the legal way would be to go up Hope Brink and turn left and downwards at the top.

Diane
    Free Member

Nice run I did that this summer in the pouring rain on my tod as my teenage ‘boys’ wouldn’t get out of bed and when I got back they were still in bed 🙂

scruzer
    Free Member

badlywireddog is right and real shame the top is footpath, decending into b/way at the junction to the left down to Hope… without any obvious reason to change right of way system… We could get a campaign going???

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

cool cheers BWD – i know exactly the cross point on hope brink so hopefully be nice and clear, thats usually nearing the end of a ride up there, so no problem heading down it to towards the trig point, then turning straight back and coming back down and uptowards hope cross 🙂

sounds good to me, i couldt spend all day around that area, i love climbing the roman road, down potato valley, back round up through the tree/forest type area and back onto hope brink and down to roman road again, so adding that little trek out to win hill trig point and back will be a nice addition, sure i can have a bit of an explore when there too see if there is anything else 🙂

BadlyWiredDog

I like the sound of Potato Valley 🙂 like some sort of massive, industrial spud-producing multinational corporation… Or an Irish version of Silicone Valley.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

haha 😳

my finger slipped on the V honest ‘guvnor 😆

cheers for helping out though appreciated, another little addition to a great bit of riding around there 🙂

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Peaks Help – win hill?’ is closed to new replies.